BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

iPod Audio Tweaks for Standard System

Greetings,
I just thought I would share some recent tips I discovered while adjusting my iPod with the standard stereo.

I was constanly getting a muddled bass response and it seemed like all of the midrange sounds were being drowned out. I figured it was just the quality of the stock speakers until I started playing CDs and realized the sound was MUCH better. I realized that something must be funky with my iPod settings and sure enough, a few tweaks made it sound a lot better.
  1. Check your EQ setting on your iPod. I realized that I had originally set my EQ for more bass response because I ususally had headphones on. Try setting it to "FLAT" for starters.
  2. Check the "Level" volume on the AUX input. For some reason, mine was set to "6" but after moving down a notch to "5" the bass was no longer distorted.
  3. Try lowering the "MAX" volume on your iPod as well. This can be found in the "Settings" section of older iPods.
  4. Midrange sounds are best tweaked with the ipod EQ settings, so play around with them.
  5. For your final comparison test, try listening to the same song or album on CD & your iPod and switch betweeen the two while listening. You should be able to hear the difference and be able to adjust to the CD sound.
Since making these basic adjustments, I have been very happy with the sound quality of my iPod now.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
I'll try those for sure.
Thanks for the tips buddy!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No prob, I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Related to ipod use via the AUX jack have you guys noticed the volume for certain songs kinda of fade and come back. Suttle but noticable. It drives me nuts.

Those are good tips...I never read my manual and didn't know the AUX input volume can be adjusted.

R.
      01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it's really eye-openeing how differently each song is mastered. I kinda wish I had gotten the Logic 7 system, only to be able to adjust the mid-ranges a bit.
Appreciate 0