BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
enzo65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MCS, 135i, F348ts SS

2009 iDrive Traffic Info Question

Take a look at the pic. Does anybody know what the second distance of 5.4mls is? The 9.9mls is the distance to the road construction.

The three possibilities I thought of are:

1. Length of traffic backed up
2. Length of road construction
3. Length of detour

But none of these make sense. The map has arrows that indicate the length of the traffic and it isn't nearly 5.4mls long. A detour of 5.4mls also doesn't make sense as you can get around that area in a much shorter distance.

The manual does not explain this specific readout.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I think it is length of detour...

Does your navigation give you an estimate of how long the traffic jam will add in minutes vs how long the detour will take in minutes? Mine does that here in Europe which is more useful than the distance really.

I imagine it is dependent on how much information the road authority has provided though. I find some countries in Europe provide more accurate roadwork information than others. France, I'm looking at you!
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
enzo65
Private First Class
Rep

I can't imagine the detour being that long. In this particular case, it did not offer the option to take a detour. I'm still figuring this part out. I wish the manual was better.

One other time it DID offer a detour but once I clicked on it nothing happened to the route. I'm assuming because the detour would have taken longer than actually driving through the traffic. What was dumb was it listed the distance to the detour AFTER the traffic. I haven't been able to test it out more because Nav isn't working at all now. See my other post: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...215#post305215
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

length of the lane closure/contstruction?

from techwood to university ave/ is 5.6 miles or so.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Ah, that other post was you... lol. I just posted there too.

Anyway, usually when my nav pops up with a diversion suggestion I'm able to accept it or ignore it. Can't remember exactly what I click.

The other option is to activate 'Dynamic Guidance' in the options menu. With this on it will just automatically divert you without giving the option.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
My guess is that it's the length of the construction?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
enzo65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
length of the lane closure/contstruction?

from techwood to university ave/ is 5.6 miles or so.

I think you're right rodi. Initially, I thought this was too long based on the scale (2.5mls) compared to the placement of the "1" and "2". But I guess those might not be exact. Google maps it at 5.0 miles but I suppose depending on where iDrive is marking the "1" and "2" it can vary +/- 0.5mls.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
enzo65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Ah, that other post was you... lol. I just posted there too.

Anyway, usually when my nav pops up with a diversion suggestion I'm able to accept it or ignore it. Can't remember exactly what I click.

The other option is to activate 'Dynamic Guidance' in the options menu. With this on it will just automatically divert you without giving the option.

Ahh yes, that makes sense now. I DID have Dynamic Guidance on which explains why it didn't ask about the detour. Thanks!
Appreciate 0