BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Looking for some clarification/suggestions about bluetooth

Hey,

I am in the process of finalizing the options I plan on getting for my 1, and need some help on deciding on bluetooth. Currently, I really don't have much of an issue using my iphone like normal (I drive an automatic). But when I get my 1 with a manual, bluetooth might be nice while in traffic. Unfortunately I've never used bluetooth before so I am a little uneducated on how it integrates.

-If I have my phone connected to bluetooth, will the stereo turn down when I get a phone call? As it is now I can barley hear my Iphone over the stereo when the phone rings, so this would be a good feature.

-Will my phone synch/unsynch to the car automatically when it gets within range?

-I can accept/make calls through the steering wheel controls correct? Even without the smartphone integration?

-If I understand correctly, the only thing the smartphone integration does is allow me to use my phone as a phone and an ipod (and to charge it of course). Is that right, or am I missing something?

If it makes a difference I do not plan on having I-drive. Hopefully, this post was not to long winded... I did do a search but still some questions remained. Any help or maybe even some examples on how you guys use your bluetooth would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wade
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Topsupra
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Hey,

I am in the process of finalizing the options I plan on getting for my 1, and need some help on deciding on bluetooth. Currently, I really don't have much of an issue using my iphone like normal (I drive an automatic). But when I get my 1 with a manual, bluetooth might be nice while in traffic. Unfortunately I've never used bluetooth before so I am a little uneducated on how it integrates.

-If I have my phone connected to bluetooth, will the stereo turn down when I get a phone call? As it is now I can barley hear my Iphone over the stereo when the phone rings, so this would be a good feature.

-Will my phone synch/unsynch to the car automatically when it gets within range?

-I can accept/make calls through the steering wheel controls correct? Even without the smartphone integration?

-If I understand correctly, the only thing the smartphone integration does is allow me to use my phone as a phone and an ipod (and to charge it of course). Is that right, or am I missing something?

If it makes a difference I do not plan on having I-drive. Hopefully, this post was not to long winded... I did do a search but still some questions remained. Any help or maybe even some examples on how you guys use your bluetooth would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wade

To your questions in order

1. Yes the radio will turn down when making or recieving a call

2. Yes your phone will synch/unsynch to the car automatically

3. Yes you can accept/make calls through the steering wheel controls
without smart phone integration

4. If I understand correctly, the only thing the smartphone integration does is allow me to use my phone as a phone and an ipod (and to charge it of course). Is that right, or am I missing something?

I have done tons of research on this option and my research has told me me this so far all the smart phone integration dose is give you better cell phone reception by way of the external BMW antenna other then that it dosent seem to offer any thing else.

But in my opinion for an extra $150 why not get the option. My dealer forgot to add the smart phone integration to my 1 and I almost canceled the order due to that. I was under the impression that the smart phone integration had a lot to offer, but after doing a lot of research and getting the facts the smart phone integration does not offer much. Also your iphone and the music on your iphone will work together with the blue tooth without any issues also your iphone will also charge.

Its sad that BMW has a tuff time clarifying what the smart phone integration actually dose.

Jay.S
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

FYI not all phones are equal.

I had a Motorola V551 and it integrated nice. Then I got the iPhone and it was not a as smooth. So it depends on the phone you want to pair. BTW after installing the latest software on my iPhone it seems to be great (I don't know about others, but many complained about an echo on the other end...the person who you are talking to). If you are really hard struck and still not sure, it's possible the dealership has a Bluetooth car and you could pair it and try it out. (it does take a while for the contact list to get sucked in to the car, about 5 min for 100 contacts the first time)

Here in Ontario Canada it is either law or will be soon that you must have hands free. So in my opinion anyone using a phone is the car should make it a must on their safety list. Or just turn the phone off while driving.

Oh also I have iDrive and I really like being able to see my whole contact list! I understand with the 09 you even have it more sweet than the 08. But you are correct to consider Bluetooth. If I had to choose, I would want all the safety options, and should be called sweet-Bluetooth! Hmmm maybe that will be the next version...hay just remember you read it here first!

EspressoBoy
      12-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply guys. Bluetooh sounds like a good option but the price is just crazy. Maybe this will put me over the edge and I'll just bite the bullet and get the premium package. I guess I could get one of those bluetooth ear pieces but I have given so many people hell for wearing those that I coud never be seen with it.

swade
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Just to add my 2c, Bluetooth integration is exceptional in my opinion. I am a geek and have owned a long line of wired and wireless headsets, and phones. I am currently using a Motorola Q with the car, and it is without a doubt the best way to use my phone.
As a little further clarification,

1) The radio actually switches off completely when it rings, or you are on a call. You can not have the radio on quietly in the background.

2) Once you provide either Aux or full power to the car, the car connects to the Bluetooth phone, and in my case any call in progress immediately switches to hands free. The phone will stay connected as long as the car has power, and you are in range. I had a problem the other day when I was making some wiring changes, I had to take my phone about 50 feet away from the car before it would unregister. Finally if you are in a call, and power off the car, the power will stay in Aux state, and handsfree by default, keeping your call in progress. You can use the phone to switch away from handsfree when you're ready.

3) There are two functions on the steering wheel of interest, the phone icon redials the last number, answers or disconnects calls. The other is the voice recognition button, this allows you to dial names or numbers, but check the forum before using this feature as the manual (08 version anyway) tells you the wrong instructions for programming it. The stereo Head Unit also has a series of other buttons for using your contacts, recently dialled numbers etc.

4) I haven't go smartphone integration, as mine isn't supported, so can't help there.