BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
First drive impressions

Well I had to drive from Brisbane to Toowoomba this morning to see some of my clients over the next two days which gave me the opportunity to take the new car for it's first decent drive.

As those of you with their cars would already have guessed, it was the best drive up to Two Swamps I've ever had

What seems like boundless amounts of torque and power available no matter what the gear, but so polite to just cruise along the highway with. It soaked up some of the shittier sections of road much better than I thought it might.

I was busy changing gears, backing off and giving it a squirt for the 125km trip to keep the engine load varied while the car runs in. The gearbox with it's SSK fitted was a delight to use (although I think the gf is going to complain about some of the stiffness shifting between 1st and 2nd).

The best thing right now is how stoked I am to have such a fanatastic car and to know that it's just going to get better as it loosens up.

If I have time tomorrow I was going to catch up with my old tuner and put the car on the dyno to see how the numbers look. I'll post up the results for everyone when I get back to the office Monday and can scan them in.

We've got a trip to the GC planned for Saturday after the Good Food and Wine show at South Bank for a friends birthday, then all things being equal on Sunday hopefully will be spent introducing Wolfgang to the windy roads of Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious.

Still keen to catch up, TimMc? :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nebo & Glorious sound like an excellent idea. There'll be wallopers everywhere on Sunday though - to remind me I've only got one point left.
How about Mr Swift or anyone else?
      11-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Sounds like a great place for a drive. I went through Mt Nebo & Glorious when I was running my car in.
      11-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Glorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Nebo & Glorious sound like an excellent idea. There'll be wallopers everywhere on Sunday though - to remind me I've only got one point left.
I love the drive (or ride) around Glorious and Nebo but I'll never do it on a weekend. Too many Sunday drivers, D!ckheads and Wallopers as you said.

Also known to include unmarked Police cars who deliberately bait people into overtaking above the speed limit by going really slow in the twisty bits then opening up on the straights - pass them and you're gone.

It's generally quiet on a weekday - especially the back half.

Enjoy it if you go guys :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Brisbane Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
If I have time tomorrow I was going to catch up with my old tuner and put the car on the dyno to see how the numbers look. I'll post up the results for everyone when I get back to the office Monday and can scan them in.
Which Tuner, Matty?

I have the day off in Brisbane tomorrow and would be interested in getting a baseline run for my 135 as well. I've got a JB3 PnP on the way from the US of A and I want to get before and after Dyno graphs. :biggrin:

Send me a pm if you get this before tomorrow.

Greg.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
heheh i smoked my brakes on my mini going down Glorious. Had to pull over on the side of the mountain with about a convoy of about 10 cars. The statesman in front of me was signaling me to pass for about 2-3kms, but i didn't know what he was on about, so just kept right on his arse

everybody's brakes were smoking, mine included, but after about a min or so the low brake fluid light went away :wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
wallopers everywhere on Sunday though - to remind me I've only got one point left.
me too... opens in 6 months though, then i get 9 :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
100fires
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sports

Quote:
Its been 2 weeks since I picked up my car. Went to Mt Nebo last weekend and the drive is excellent. It would be great to join you on the drive. When are you guys planning to go ? If I go, you'll need to wait for me.....my 125i is has 2 less turbos :biggrin: But I love the car. Lots and lots of fun and it should help me to keep the little points I have....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ok then, I'll propose meeting up at say 3pm at the BP on Waterworks Rd. (edit - yep, this Sunday the 9th)

Does that suit everyone?

Bear in mind for people who don't know the mountains well that treating them with a lack of respect tends to result in either a) fines and demerit points, b) damaged equipment, and c) both a and b.

It's a public road so never fear 100, you're not going to be left behind
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100fires View Post
If I go, you'll need to wait for me.....my 125i is has 2 less turbos :biggrin: But I love the car. Lots and lots of fun and it should help me to keep the little points I have....
What about my poor little diesel? :wink:

Quote:
Ok then, I'll propose meeting up at say 3pm at the BP on Waterworks Rd.

Does that suit everyone?
What day/date? Sunday 9th Nov?

PS: I'm keen :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

3pm sounds fair to me. I'm notoriously unreliable at turning up for runs on my bike or in my car but I should be there. All diesels, 125s or whoever are welcome as far as I'm concerned! If there wasn't a 135 available I'd have bought a 125 anyway - or a 123D if we could buy em here. I know these roads well but certainly won't be racing anyone. It was one of those unmarked cars (SS Comode ute) that stole 11 of my points just north of Glorious on a Sunday last year...
      11-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It was one of those unmarked cars (SS Comode ute) that stole 11 of my points just north of Glorious on a Sunday last year...
11 points in 1 go? :eyebulge:

Sweet, 3pm sounds good to me. Count me in. I heard on the radio before that there's rain forecast for Sunday.. hmm, still keen?

I might borrow the digital SLR camera from work (Canon D400). I know there's a photographer on here; any tips about taking good pics for still and moving shots? I.e. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc? I normally just leave it on auto, but get pretty average pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

aedeau, slow down the shutter for the motion style effects. Might need to set the camera to Manual and then pan the camera/track the object left to right...

Takes practice!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #14
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

I should be able to make it also. Cheers
      11-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

[quote=aedeau;280827]11 points in 1 go? :eyebulge:
quote]
Yeah, I was riding a mate's Ducati 749R while following him on his new 1098S and another guy on an MV Augusta. The unmarked black SS ute - complete with video camera & radar..., apparently had been following us for some time. When we all overtook a 4wd (as did the ute) he nabbed us for doing 42 over the limit and overtaking on double lines. It was way out of town on Mt Mee but apparently in a 60 zone? He was just going to keep following us until we did something wrong. Pretty hard not to on a 749R on a mountain road.
      11-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

hmm.. i'll definately be cruising tomorrow and sticking to the limits.

So how many people are going, 4?
- me
- TimMC
- Swift135
- mattyv
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
[quote=TimMc;281098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
11 points in 1 go? :eyebulge:
quote]
Yeah, I was riding a mate's Ducati 749R while following him on his new 1098S and another guy on an MV Augusta. The unmarked black SS ute - complete with video camera & radar..., apparently had been following us for some time. When we all overtook a 4wd (as did the ute) he nabbed us for doing 42 over the limit and overtaking on double lines. It was way out of town on Mt Mee but apparently in a 60 zone? He was just going to keep following us until we did something wrong. Pretty hard not to on a 749R on a mountain road.

it's funny because it's true.

I still have fond memories of the day I go to spend "bedding in" a new RSV Mille and an MV Augusta about 6 years ago for a dealership I was good friends with.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
ozigreg
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M

I would love to join you guys this afternoon, but Sunday family duties have priority.

The Nebo run splits my personality. Its a lovely drive in the car, howevere the amount of time I have spent cycling up and down that hill for training, scares me as to how some people drive with no regard for what may be half way around the next corner.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
100fires
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sports

Quote:
3pm sounds fair to me. I'm notoriously unreliable at turning up for runs on my bike or in my car but I should be there. All diesels, 125s or whoever are welcome as far as I'm concerned! If there wasn't a 135 available I'd have bought a 125 anyway - or a 123D if we could buy em here. I know these roads well but certainly won't be racing anyone. It was one of those unmarked cars (SS Comode ute) that stole 11 of my points just north of Glorious on a Sunday last year...
Bugger.... just remembered that I have a prior family b'day party to attend this afternoon....So annoyed, as I would have loved the drive. Guys, please let me know how you go and I will definitely be at the next one, as I am sure there will me many more.

Just traded-in my 125i M-Sports - 6MT, Black Sapphire, Xenon, HiFi 10 Speaker....... goodbye my old friend ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

What's happening?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #21
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m01lim View Post
What's happening?
Quote:
Ok then, I'll propose meeting up at say 3pm at the BP on Waterworks Rd. (edit - yep, this Sunday the 9th)

Does that suit everyone?

Bear in mind for people who don't know the mountains well that treating them with a lack of respect tends to result in either a) fines and demerit points, b) damaged equipment, and c) both a and b.

It's a public road so never fear 100, you're not going to be left behind
Hi All,

Just a reminder about the cruise today. I'm still keen - if you are, we're meeting at the Gap BP at 3pm today.

Hope to see you there!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100fires View Post
Bugger.... just remembered that I have a prior family b'day party to attend this afternoon....So annoyed, as I would have loved the drive. Guys, please let me know how you go and I will definitely be at the next one, as I am sure there will me many more.
I'm sure it'll only be a a couple of hrs max? Remember the 135s only have a 53L tank, so they'll run out of fuel pretty quickly, unlike my efficient diesel :wink:
Appreciate 0