BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

3 Series Facelift/Upgrade

I know most here probably don't care much for the 3 series, but just curious if any know about the updates to the 3 series and what you think about them and the possibility of some of these carrying over to the 1 series...

From this weeks Drive, it states the new 3 series update will feature front and rear design modifications to give a sportier look and BMW will introduce a new 3.0ltr turbo diesel rated 180kw and 520nm...

I've always had a dissaproval towards smaller turbo diesels because of their lack of power and revving, but this 3.0ltr offering sounds nice, 'chipped up' it would be very nice :smile:

I wonder if this means a styling upgrade for the 1er series soon also and would any of you consider this 3.0ltr turbo diesel, ' if ' it were and option for the 135...

Once again, apologies in advance if this has been discussed or is in another thread already :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Diesels are nice on something like a cruiser (a vert perhaps and definitely a 4wd), but not a sports car. If you use your 1 series as a sports car, then forget it. Sports cars need to rev!

As for the styling of the updated 3 series, I quite like it. Rear lights are a big improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I was told sales-guy at BMW that they keep their models for about 7 years before doing an update (notwithstanding minor lighting changes etc.)

Is this not true?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is true there is a few changes for the 09 year on the 3-series. The front looks OK, but somewhat overdone IMO, and the back should have been left the hell alone. They changed the tail lights for some reason, and I'm not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I was told sales-guy at BMW that they keep their models for about 7 years before doing an update (notwithstanding minor lighting changes etc.)

Is this not true?
Yes, this has been the past trend for model upgrades, around 7-8 years - but this is a 'face lift' only not entire model upgrade...

I think manufacturers are doing this more and more as competition is plenty these days...

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a sportier facelift to the 1ers front end, especially the headlight design...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I don't know about that, one of the main attractions for me to the 1er was it didn't have the sharp-lined, angled headlight look of a lot of other cars around atm (particularly anything from Nippon and the US).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

They are only doing it to keep things fresh until 2010.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Yeah, I am glad they changed the 3 tail lights, wish they would have made the flow a little better. It still looks better (to me) but it seems as if they cut corners by keeping the tail light the same for the part thats not on the trunk, but just changed the light on the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
Yeah, I am glad they changed the 3 tail lights, wish they would have made the flow a little better. It still looks better (to me) but it seems as if they cut corners by keeping the tail light the same for the part thats not on the trunk, but just changed the light on the trunk.
Right, sort of a half ass attempt. I guess maybe we will just have to wait and see it in person. I did not like the front bumper extension up close, but from a far, it seems to look a lot better in many ways.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Frankly I think it's a little bland, but may look better in the flesh.

Prefer the older model myself.
Attached Images

08-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Diesels are nice on something like a cruiser (a vert perhaps and definitely a 4wd), but not a sports car. If you use your 1 series as a sports car, then forget it. Sports cars need to rev!

As for the styling of the updated 3 series, I quite like it. Rear lights are a big improvement.
You clearly haven't driven a 123d! Yes it only revs to about 5500rpm (high for a diesel) but that doesn't stop it being a damn quick car. In gear acceleration in particular is effortless and, based on my comparision test drives, would certainly embarrass the 125i.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

damn, my tastes must differ from most because i think the facelift has made the 3er sedan look very nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #13
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
You clearly haven't driven a 123d! Yes it only revs to about 5500rpm (high for a diesel) but that doesn't stop it being a damn quick car. In gear acceleration in particular is effortless and, based on my comparision test drives, would certainly embarrass the 125i.
I agree. alreadt comes with plenty of kw's and a 'shirt load' of torque. chip it and it would really fly! Iwish they had that engine here.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
damn, my tastes must differ from most because i think the facelift has made the 3er sedan look very nice!
Hard not to like a BMW, but us people don't like to much change, and the current design looks so well rounded. Every photo I see makes it look a little better. Months ago I ran across a photo of the front, I wish I had saved, that looked awesome. I'm not sure why the front did not end up like the photo I saw, but now I'm thinking it was the changes to the m3 version. All I can say is, wait until those start popping up, because it was just bangin. I did try to find it again, but with no avail.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't get it here. But regardless, you are missing my point. It's not about how fast it is, it's not about how many ponnies or how much torque it has low down. In a sports car, I am just starting to have fun at 5500rpm. It's like the R8 diesel concept that Audi showed earlier in the year. Quick? Hell yeah. Will it hit the mark with buyers (other than tax constrained Euro buyers)? Probably not if you take the reaction of a bunch of people who are the target market on a forum I frequent. It's not the speed that is the issue, it's the satisfaction. Btw, I have seen the 123d vs 350z clip at the ring at DR. No doubt, the car is quick for a 4 cylinder, petrol or diesel!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #16
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't get it here. But regardless, you are missing my point. It's not about how fast it is, it's not about how many ponnies or how much torque it has low down. In a sports car, I am just starting to have fun at 5500rpm. It's like the R8 diesel concept that Audi showed earlier in the year. Quick? Hell yeah. Will it hit the mark with buyers (other than tax constrained Euro buyers)? Probably not if you take the reaction of a bunch of people who are the target market on a forum I frequent. It's not the speed that is the issue, it's the satisfaction. Btw, I have seen the 123d vs 350z clip at the ring at DR. No doubt, the car is quick for a 4 cylinder, petrol or diesel!
The 135 peaks at about 5800 rpms. Fun is short lived.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #17
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know it's not sold there. Shame although I think that situation will be rectified. I read somewhere that the 09 vert will be coming to Australia in 123d form so it would make sense that they do the same with the coupe.

And I do see your point. The aural experience is definitely missing in the 123d, good though it is. It was my only sticking point before signing on the dotted line. It is actually a very good sound... for a diesel. At 5000rpm you could almost be fooled into thinking it was a petrol as it gets quite a good raspy note. But ultimately, it falls well short of the BMW petrol inline sixes.

Still, I dispute that you can't still have a lot of fun with it :smile: And when you're taxed to oblivion like we are there really is no other choice.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

If you want to look at peak then the diesel probably peaks at 2000rpm lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you want to look at peak then the diesel probably peaks at 2000rpm lol.
tsk. now you're sounding dogmatic

peak power in the 123d = 150kw @ 4400rpm
peak torque = 400Nm @ 2000rpm more than 80% of which is still available at 4500rpm

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/03/...esel-inline-4/
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #20
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
tsk. now you're sounding dogmatic

peak power in the 123d = 150kw @ 4400rpm
peak torque = 400Nm @ 2000rpm more than 80% of which is still available at 4500rpm

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/03/...esel-inline-4/
Wth all that torque it needs a tow bar and some thing to pull. Would probably do high 6's to 100 k's with or without a trailer/caravan! Good on Fuel?
Put a Chip in it man it would go/pull! Better on fuel to.
You know you can get DP's, exhausts, IC's and all for Diesels and they make a difference..... Even aurally!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #21
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
Wth all that torque it needs a tow bar and some thing to pull. Would probably do high 6's to 100 k's with or without a trailer/caravan! Good on Fuel?
Put a Chip in it man it would go/pull! Better on fuel to.
You know you can get DP's, exhausts, IC's and all for Diesels and they make a difference..... Even aurally!!
and I forgot the towbar option. Damn.... :smile:

I haven't actually got mine yet, but the ones I test drove (which were probably thrashed) and a few friends who have them, are reporting under 6l/100km. Not bad when you consider diesel is 2/3 the price of petrol here.

Chipping is very tempting. There is a piggyback you can get here which gives the 123d 194kw and 516Nm of torque. And you just plug it in... I think I'll wait till it's well run in though.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #22
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
...........Still, I dispute that you can't still have a lot of fun with it :smile: And when you're taxed to oblivion like we are there really is no other choice.
Taxed to oblivion..... pfffffft there's roughly $25,000 tax in an Aussie 135i.

The 3L d TT engine would be interesting in a 1!
Appreciate 0