BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

OT: Nissan GT-R

I didn't want to hi-jack the Motor magazine thread again to discuss Nissan GT-R, so thought I would start another one.

Drivers Republic has just released the video of the new AMV8 vs 997.2S vs R8 vs GT-R. It's the video of their track test. You can see from this how much faster GT-R is than the rest. They then later did a test of straightline. THe Porsche was faster than the GT-R. This illustrates exactly what I was saying previously. The GT-R is a monster on the track because it can carry so much more speed into the corner and then accelerate so much earlier, but just don't expect it to be that fast in a straight line. It's physics. GT-R doesn't have that much power (for it's weight) to be fast in straight line. So Harpoon, I don't think you will be blowing away any 599's anytime soon yet even if you buy a R35. :biggrin:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...&area=features
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

4 wheel drive system and electronic Wayne.

The problem is you need a driver to drive it out. An ordinary driver will think they are invincible because of a GTR and will find them got passed by a 911.2S because of a better driver.
      08-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

haha well maybe not Way but still not bad for 20% of the price of a 599! But yes it makes sense - 12 cylinders vs 6 is never going to be a fair fight on the straight.
      08-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

I reckon its all set up ready for a tune. Bet there is 'alot' of kw's just ready to be unleashed.
Nearly a 600hp suicide machine without too much trouble Im thinking.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
It's physics. GT-R doesn't have that much power (for it's weight) to be fast in straight line. So Harpoon, I don't think you will be blowing away any 599's anytime soon yet even if you buy a R35. :biggrin:
wow that was nice wayne, but at the start of the video the gt-r is quoted as having the highest hp/tonne so this particular comparo does not support your statement. Audi comes in at 265/tonne, Porsche is 270, Aston is a measely 258 and the GT-R is highest at 272! A 599 is a different beast altogether with 362 horsies pulling each tonne!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Well sort of. If you look at the quarter mile time, it beats the 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I already did post up the Drivers Republic article on the same story in this thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=14112&page=3

The GT-R is without doubt the best performance car for the money anywhere in the World at the present time - no doubts !!!

I have been following it's progress since launched last year in December, we even have a dedicated thread on it since that time on the OpelAus. forum - yes different car make to that forums Opels, but due respect where it's deserved and all that :smile:

I find it amazing as do most if not all reviewers so far of this beast, which have also commented that some people will still bury their heads in the sand and refuse to accept how good it is and commend Nissans efforts for being able to produce such a vehicle and then make it affordable enough to the masses, who would otherwise never be able to experience or own such performance in a car :smile:

The cars been stripped by numerous tuners everywhere, all have commented on the exceptional build quality, the engines are individually hand assembled by a single technician, just like Ferrari's and for the price of the thing, it comes with lots of kit and a very good interior finish...external paint is finished in a ceramic clear coat, which provides some measure of scratch resistance, if you buy one, Nissan will service, tune the chassis etc. for the first scheduled 3 years for free...the list goes on...

It also incorporates alot of aluminium/lithium alloy in it's construction (V-Spec) will have lots more carbon fibre and numerous other mechanical features, which you'll find being incorporated on the next generation of Porsche's etc. - now that's saying something :wink:

An interesting point on this car is that it has an AWD system with a drivetrain power loss of only 10% !!!

Again credit to Nissan's engineers, but to be fair they did have assistance from Cosworth with the engine, Borg Warner with the transaxle trans. and Lotus with some parts of the chassis.

As for potential, as mentioned above, this car is like an untapped oil well ready to burst !!!

Speaking for myself, I like everything about it, even it's looks which are subjective, but when I viewed it in the metal earlier this year at the Melb. motor show, it made me weak at the knees - loved it

If I could afford a vehicle in the 150k+ price range, this would be it - nothing compares or even comes close IMHO...

But since I want to remain well south of 100k for my next purchase, I'm going for what I consider to be the best in that bracket - the mighty little 135i coupe :biggrin:

The current base model is already phenominal, the V-Spec will continue to embarrass the Worlds best cars that cost up to and over 10 times as much and tuners will make them into total monsters, just like it's 'Aussie christened' namesake GodZilla :smile:

In Japan tuners GT-R's are already pushing well over 600kw :eyebulge: and there's more to come with the future V-Spec.

If you want to know pretty much all there is to know about the R35 GT-R visit the GT-R Blog: http://gtrblog.com/
Appreciate 0