BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Active processor- yikes!! Don't take your mother on a drive!

:w00t: :thumbup:

Andrew from Southern BM did the ecu operation on my 135 yesterday. Gotta say, he's a surgeon extraordinaire! The result is one very happy patient. The car is uterly transformed.

Let's just say the car goes from being merely very quick, to blindlingly, seriously, obescenely, neck-snappingly, ferociously quick. Do you get the impression that I kinda like it?! Do I what...

I have been fortunate to have driven some pretty fast cars in my time, but never ANYTHING like this. The shear effortlessness, the ease with which you can overtake cars with th merest carress of the accelerator- just awesome.

And whatsmore, if you want to just tootle around the place, the car feels just as docile as stock- idles the same, sounds the same, cruises the same.

But, light the wick and just stand back........

Way- your're absolutely right, wheel spin is almost unavoidable not only in 1st and 2nd but also 3rd.

You really need to re-learn the way you drive- you literally squeeze on the power- don't even think about planting the foot-unless you want to leave a big smokig mess that was once your rear tyres behind.

Way is also right regarding fuel consumption- because of the awesome power and torque, the car actually (anecdotally, since I have only driven the car for 130kms) uses less fuel as it gets up to speed so quickly and effortlessly.

But, use the power and mpg seems to go to hell in a basket- totally expected from such a dramatic upgrade. The point is, you have choice as to how much of the power and therefore fuel that you want to use. Fair Enough.

Now, I hve not dynoed the car (only done 3000kms and am no to keen) but frankly see absolutely no need.

It's blindingly obvious that regardless of the continuing prattle about dyno outputs, the active processor on 135's is a total masterpiece of a processor.

I have driven a number of Bimmers in the past with competing chips but NEVER have I seen and felt a result like this.

I have now carried what I believe are the holy trinity of mods:

Sprintbooster, the CDV valve and now the active processor.

And Andrew has done it all for me with a minimum of fuss, in his friendly, professional and always enthusiastic manner- this guy is a true addict and a very good businessman as well. Thanks Andrew!

Hope this gives you guys another heads-up on what is possible with these amazing 135's
Thoroughly recommended! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

I want to move to Melbourne!
      08-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
What sort of dollar$ for the Holy Trinity if you don't mind my asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I hate Canberra! Small town, Grrrrr
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

John, I am glad to hear that you like the result of this transformation! I have been singing it's praises from the day I got it done, so I am glad someone else has got it done and is sharing what I have been experiencing. In terms of BFYB, I agree with John that he has the holy trinity. The Active processor is $1295, the CDV is like $70 I think, and the Sprint Booster is $450 (don't quote me though as I cannot remember!). So it isn't bad at all. For those more hardcore, the Riss Racing catless downpipes are a must. I think it's well worth the money but in terms of BFYB, a chip is of course going to place higher up. Andrew, you should package these together. With and without Riss Racing DP option.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Drive down to Melbourne! Or just buy that Ford RS200 turbo. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
2QIK4U
Mike
Rep
Drives:

Congratulations BIM135AUS. Great to hear your story. I know many of us plan to do the same, Once you have a proven tuner stick like glue, the extra miles to Melbourne are insignificant when you consider the benifits for Andrew's experience.
As an interesting side effect, don't be suprised if you find yourself driving slower, the knowledge of the cars capabilities is a humbling sensation.

Now all we need is a Quaife LSD that fits. Any Updates Andrew?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Some one here is an AAW agent so no probs. Get in touch with Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

[quote=Bim135AUS;218062]:w00t: :thumbup:

I have now carried what I believe are the holy trinity of mods:

Sprintbooster, the CDV valve and now the active processor.

What is CDV sprint booster? Worth it?
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

CDV is clutch delay valve. What we have done is effectively removing the CDV by replacing it. It makes the gear shift nicer and smoother. Well well worth it! Sprint booster...I could go into it, but if you search for it, you will find a thread discussing it here previously. Basically a signal amplifier for improved throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
2bob
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW white135

Sounds like a visit to Melbourne is on the cards in the new year--car arrives end Sept,
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
CDV is clutch delay valve. What we have done is effectively removing the CDV by replacing it. It makes the gear shift nicer and smoother. Well well worth it! Sprint booster...I could go into it, but if you search for it, you will find a thread discussing it here previously. Basically a signal amplifier for improved throttle response.
thanks sounds like needed products
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

congratulations. sounds very exciting! have fun and drive safe in the rain.

incidentally, has anyone installed a boost gauge here? also, any idea yet on what this has done to your average fuel economy? compared to before the tune it'll probably be up by at least 1-2l/100kms??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Prof, if you drive it exactly how you drove it before, your fuel consumption will actually drop. However what I often hear is that people will want to stomp on the throttle more after they have done this (ok I am talking about me) so the fuel consumption will go up.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Great to hear an actual response from a user on how the Active Autowerk Processer actually performs. If I am understanding how it works, it is basically a fully customizable processor that can accept different boost maps for each users upgrades? Does that mean that you can just plug in a laptop and work some "magic" if you get a DP or Exhaust, or intake etc. etc.

Do you think an amatuer donkey such as myself would be able to handle the install or is it too scary if you F it up?

Basically what I am asking is, is there anything else you would want in an ECU upgrade that this cannot provide?

Great write-up, looking forward to a long-term update.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Very nice!!!! Best feeling ever. Driving a car for the first time after a good mod!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I feel 'touched' after that story...makes me want to do the same thing now!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

WOW, thanks for the response we really appreciate your feedback and we are also really glad you are enjoying your tune.

The Active Processor is $1295 installed until end of August, the CDV is $90 installed including fluid bleed, and the Sprint Booster is $375 for forum members. This is in essence is going to be our Stage 1 kit which will be released in the next few weeks.

For the guys interstate, you can come down of course and have installs done, i have offered to fly up to Sydney and do Active Processor installs on a Saturday if you can rustle up 5 cars. In Queensland you guys are good to go in Brisbane, or ACT guys are good to go as well. Active have distributors in those states.

Prof, stay tuned, more coming very soon.

All the Best
Again thanks for the feedback, it is encouraging and helps us push onward and upward.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Andrew - Can't you adjust the throttle sensitivity via the processor and therefore make the sprint booster redundant?
:iono:
      08-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i've read that active processor doesn't have anything to make it invisible to bmw, so it trips the "warranty gone" code - but i'm sure you know all this.

if i get a tune it'll be jb3 or v3 because they don't trigger that code and they're plug and play so you purchase online and can install yourself.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i've read that active processor doesn't have anything to make it invisible to bmw, so it trips the "warranty gone" code - but i'm sure you know all this.

if i get a tune it'll be jb3 or v3 because they don't trigger that code and they're plug and play so you purchase online and can install yourself.
Not true. This is the new Active processor designed for V81 and it throws no codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

come again! you sure? i did not know that! can you verify this andrew or others here? how are codes "thrown" by the way? as CELs or registered in an ECU log which bites you in the ass when you need/are given software updates?

that is a problem unless you swear off the dealer network forever.
Appreciate 0