BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

JB3 pricing out!

$749 USD - includes PNP harness, apparently it's very very good.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155120

I'm pretty interested!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

From what I've read up so far on this hardware, I'm also very impressed...and it certainly seems like one of the top choices for the 135i :smile:

The best aspect about this device is that it was specifically designed to work with the N54 powerplant.

However I still don't know if it has 'invulnerabilty' to the latest 135i ecu's in terms of detection and being 'red flagged' or logged with its use ??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Well its designed for v81, they claim its invisiable but I dont believe that for ANY tuners. If it was me, i'd remove the JB before taking it to a dealer.

Apparently it works in the stock parameters and doesnt flag any nastys. They also have a good reputation for no cel/limp issues.

And the price is spot on! I've registered for the updates
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have been following this too, and I think this is the way I will go! Have spoken with Terry and I am on my way to the US in September so I am thinking of picking mine up directly from him...I do want to see some numbers first as I want a reliable tune and in the past he has had a good track record for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

My biggest concerns with all these tuners is that they are tuned for overseas conditions and no local support exist. Afterall, what am I to do if my car goes into limp home mode? I can't take the car back to BMW! I would be happy to jump on board too if someone local with support is providing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

overseas conditions? What do you mean?

Our cars are built in germany, driven in germany and run in germany. They are then loaded onto a boat and shipped to Australia.

PROceed & AA are exactly the same. No one here makes an Aussie tune for the cars so I don't see how overseas conditions plays any part in the decision. As for local support well yeah thats great but the US support as you know from tuners is excellent (ie Riss Racing) so it would be no different.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Local conditions just refer to fuel in this case. Yes US support is excellent, but if I didn't have Andrew working on it with them, it would have come to zero for me anyway. So either local support, or a local mechanic who is willing to work with the vendor over there. Being an ECU mod, I really would prefer someone local who knows what they are doing. You may be more mechanically inclined, but I am not unfortunately. I just know how to drive hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Kris, is this flash or piggy back? What is the difference between plug n play and the professional version?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Well all of the piggy back & flash tunes use US fuel. Including the AA you were considering, so fuel is of no consequence. It's the same.

APR as you well know tune their cars in EU/US , I used their APR DPP chip for the Audi S3 using US/EU fuel maps. No dramas in Australia

There are plenty of mechanics that can help you in Melbourne I'm sure, just like ALS/Peak here in Sydney would work with Riss to do exactly what Andrew does.

This unit is a piggy back/interceptor style, it basically plugs into the ECU harnesses. Plug and Play is a small box with wires that connect to disconnected wires of the ECU. I've no idea what professional is but PNP suits me. The less mucking around in the ECU box the better as far as I'm concerned!

PNP Harness:

Installed:

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You are right, no tune is going to be custom for our conditions. But that is exactly my point, because it isn't, I would want someone who can give me the local support. I would never have gone the APR route if Guy Harding wasn't providing local support. No way in hell. Doing it myself? Haha not an option. I have seen how much fiddling there is just to get to the ECU before you do anything else! The other thing is, without a dianastic tool, you will never know if codes are being thrown if you did it yourself.

I haven't made my decision on any tune, AA or otherwise. If something else comes along that is good, and there is local support, then I am in.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Getting to the ECU takes 5minutes, it's just plastic shrouding. I dont think any of the local guys can check if codes are being throw with AA or PROcede - but if they can then checking for them on a JB3 would be no different.

Ask Andrew if he'll install it for you if you are worried.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Haha 5 min plstic shroud job for you, but for me (and Prateek) I see it as a major job! I remember installing my own CAI on the Cooper S years ago. Supposed to be a 15 min job like everyone says on the forum. Two hours later with bleeding hands and a nut dropped in the engine bay somewhere, I kinda got there. Not again, no thanks. So yeah, will talk to Andrew if I think this is the right solution!

As for the diagnostic tool, guys like Andrew has one that will show most if not everything that the dealer can see. I guess that is going to be the major difference. Otherwise you will not know if your car has stored fault codes when you visit them. No point taking off the piggy back if they can see it on the computer anyway!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Just take your time, ensure beer is handy and have a mate. It's fun! I do DIY stuff all the time

Most decent BMW workshops have a GT1 tool to find faults.... Same machine for coding the modules inside the car. I've used one to retrofit BiXenons to my 325
Appreciate 0