BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
G-Tech performance meter

I am thinking of getting a G-tech pro performance meter. This would be good to quickly determine performance gains from mods. It gives power and torque graphs and 0-100km times etc.

The models available are the SS and the RR. The RR has additional feature of being able to download to a computer for data analysis.

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html
http://www.gtechpro.com/rr.html

The prices in Australia on ebay are $360 for the RR and $290 for the SS. One of the suppliers will give a discount for a bulk buy.

Has anyone had any experience with these devices?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Agree, this and other similar tools are a relatively inexpensive way to assess performance changes/gains on your car :smile:

As long as you always use the same tool, set up in the same manner, you can get some accurate info on any changes that occur.

I've got a Vericom VC 200 computer, that's nearly 20 years old, it was one of the 1st such portable in car performance computers and it still works extremely well !!!

I've even compared results it gives me to those from Calder park raceway on the same car and it's accuracy is amazing :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

You know, I have a GTECH SS I packed up since I sold the e34. I wonder if it's compatible with the E82/E88 electrical system. I'll check tomorrow Thanks for reminding!
      07-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
The supplier can do these for $335 if 5 are ordered or $315 if 10 are ordered. Anyone interested?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

IS it compatible with the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

Tested the SS on both the 128 and 135. No good. Just like in most new cars, it can't sense worth crap via the lighter socket.
      07-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

I considered getting a G-Tech Pro but decided it was better value to spend more and get a Performance Box. You can get them for Aus$850 now via Racer Industries in Queensland. PB is a GPS-based system rather than an accelerometer like the G-Tech. This means the PB gives you all the functionality of the G-Tech (measuring lateral and longitudinal G, allowing torque curve measurements and straight line drag timing), and the PB also does high speed data logging for track days. It will log your absolute position every 1/10th of a second and from this track your lap times, drive line on the track, speed, lateral/longitudinal G, turn radius, altitude and power output at the wheels and flywheel. For an extra couple hundred, you can upspec to the DriftBox and this adds a yaw sensor that provides measurement of drift angles. Awesome!

The PB works in all cars and only requires a 12V socket connection for power (or you can plug in a battery pack). If your windscreen has athermic glass then you may need to buy an external antenna (~$70) that sticks on your roof via a strong magnet. I've tested the antenna at speeds up to ~200km/hr ... on a runway ... and it showed no signs of shifting!

You can download the PB software and play with some of the logged data via this website. Race Logic have also commissioned a direct comparison between the G-Tech Pro and PB which you can read here. I'm told this software can also work with datalogging from some GPS-equipped mobile phones! So maybe you don't need another gadget anyway?
      07-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

If you're doing to do that, might as well get a maxqdata.
      07-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
I considered getting a G-Tech Pro but decided it was better value to spend more and get a Performance Box. You can get them for Aus$850 now via Racer Industries in Queensland. PB is a GPS-based system rather than an accelerometer like the G-Tech. This means the PB gives you all the functionality of the G-Tech (measuring lateral and longitudinal G, allowing torque curve measurements and straight line drag timing), and the PB also does high speed data logging for track days. It will log your absolute position every 1/10th of a second and from this track your lap times, drive line on the track, speed, lateral/longitudinal G, turn radius, altitude and power output at the wheels and flywheel. For an extra couple hundred, you can upspec to the DriftBox and this adds a yaw sensor that provides measurement of drift angles. Awesome!

The PB works in all cars and only requires a 12V socket connection for power (or you can plug in a battery pack). If your windscreen has athermic glass then you may need to buy an external antenna (~$70) that sticks on your roof via a strong magnet. I've tested the antenna at speeds up to ~200km/hr ... on a runway ... and it showed no signs of shifting!

You can download the PB software and play with some of the logged data via this website. Race Logic have also commissioned a direct comparison between the G-Tech Pro and PB which you can read here. I'm told this software can also work with datalogging from some GPS-equipped mobile phones! So maybe you don't need another gadget anyway?
This is a good piece of hardware and it does indeed work with GPS equipped mobile phones...

A few guys from my other forums have it and swear by it :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What do you need to do to make a GPS mobile work with the software, if you don't mind me asking?
      07-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Tested the SS on both the 128 and 135. No good. Just like in most new cars, it can't sense worth crap via the lighter socket.
I have emailed G-tech regarding whether the unit works on the 135i. Their reply was as follows:

Unfortunately, we don't have the R&D ability to test every car brand and model.
I'm curious if those who are having problems have checked out the FAQs in our forums?

http://www.forums.gtechpro.com/viewforum.php?f=49

Many of the solutions offered there work out great.

Also, much of the core functionality of the RR work just fine without RPM.
Here's a list of features that you could have available depending on what is available to you:
http://www.forums.gtechpro.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10

All that said, we do have a 30 day money back guarantee; we totally understand that people don't like to buy products with only 3/4 of the features working.

Can you send a link to the BMW forums you went to?

Thanks,
GTech Support Team
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

IT DOESN'T WORK. Did you miss my post?

RPM sensing fails, as it does with most newer cars.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see you quoted my post heh. I tried an RR today as well. No go. There is no point without the RPM sensing, really. You lose out on a HUGE chunk of the functionality.

To quote them...

Quote:
"The GTech gets it signal from electrical noise produced by the alternator during charging.
Some newer cars have very "quiet" electrical systems.
(Or sometimes this is a sign of the alternator is going bad, i.e. low/no charging)

The first thing you should try is to turn on all of the cars accessories (headlights, fan, defroster, etc.) and see if you are able to get a stronger signal. Obviously, this is not the best solution if you are using the GTech on a daily basis, because once you calibrate the RPM you would have to continue driving with everything on. (but tolerable if you are just doing 1/4 mile runs from time to time)

The second methid is to directly wire the unit to the battery or the alternator. We don't recommend cutting off our cigarette adapter (it's got a fuse inside). Get an extension from Radio Shack like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... 2103589&cp

Ignition systems like MSD turn a signal we can read into one we cannot. A direct connection is advised in this instance.

Unfortunately, some cars just don't play well with the GTech. For those who can't live without some of the RPM based features, we do have a 30-day return policy."
      07-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Qube, would it work if it was directly wired to the electrical system as suggested?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

I have no idea... I suppose I could try it... some alligator clips and a bit of time. Is it worth the effort? If you are just looking for some quick data here and there... and the 'cool' factor, sure! Else, something like the maxqdata is better (esp in the 10hz).
      07-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
What do you need to do to make a GPS mobile work with the software, if you don't mind me asking?
Not 100% sure since I've not done it myself. Apparently you need a Nokia mobile phone that has GPS capability. Then you add RaceChrono Nokia phone software. The logged data from this can be exported onto your PC and imported into the Performance Box software. But apart from that .... you're on your own to experiment! Might be worth googling on some of these keywords to see if there's a how-to guide out there somewhere.
      07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Damn. Don't have a Nokia....
      07-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

AussieRacer, go get yourself a Nokia. It's worth it! Then Taka can show you all the great features. I don't know how to use it either. I want for Taka to do it for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #18
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Basic VBox and Performance box is $800 plus. Although our cosmetic surgeon friend in SA claims he can get it around $400. They are 10Hz model. So they log 10 points per second.

I just got myself a 5Hz Bluetooth GPS. Wayne is logging with an 1Hz device (basic GPS receiver) so it still work fine. The program is called racechrono.com and the program is free, still after nearly a year. They are experimenting the OBD device to get the speed, rpm, throttle position or even coolant temp logging with GPS measure position and speed.

5hz GPS is $110 and it is logging 5 positions per second. Racechrono is within 0.1 second (but in real life it is within 0.05 sec of real time, especially the start/finish line is a straight line).

Check out www.racechrono.com.
      11-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #19
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Ive got a Gtech Pro RR, havent got my 135i yet, but its a great device, works brilliant with my old cars and provides some quite consistent accurate results when setup correctly and when the car is driven accurately...

Once ive got the car next year ill test it out
Appreciate 0