BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #1
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Saturday Morning Cruize.

Went for a drive to Newport this morning and what a nice drive to take the 135i on.
The bends and twists along the hilly coastal road and through the back streets through to Palm Beach are a joy for the twin turbo's.

Had the the car whistling back and forth to 6.5K rpms.:biggrin:

Along the way I encountered two Skyline GTR's driving along together. Each car in turn would come along side me and tease me for a sprint.

My patience wore thin (after about 5 seconds..hehehe) and I passed the first one in third gear at about 110km/h before I slowed down and the second GTR tore passed me..:thumbup:

This was the first time that I have really pushed the car passed 5.5K rpm..
The power and acceleration is breathtaking, and if it wasnt for my missus reminding me that I need my licence for work, I would of redlined the next two gear changes..:biggrin:

Then the GTR wanted more..

He lined me up and the next set of lights on Pittwater road leading onto 90km/h zone.
He got me of the mark cause I didnt want to burn rubber and dump her plus I hadnt turned off the DSC.
Second gear I was passing him before I started to decelerate in fear of my wife and my ego getting the better of me....

These cars are absolute missiles..:headbang:
And I have had some very very fast 12 sec street cars in the past.

All I can say to you younger drivers..
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, if you havent had any advanced driving lessons in the past..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Haha your story made me smile Zuzu!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

You should of seen the grin :biggrin: on my face and the look of disappointment on the GTR drivers face..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Haha, good one, ZuZu. I'll have to brush off my defensive/advanced driver training memories. Watch out Augusta (320km SW of Perth and where dear ol' Mum lives) here I come (in October, anyway).
      07-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Simon..I did an advanced driving course back 20 years ago at Oran Park in Sydney..
Sure does bring back some memories..

XU1..V8-308 stroker to 333..Street registered..:roundel:

Those were the days when street racing was a way of life at "Brickies"..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Nice story zuzu. Too bad you couldn't give the car a real push along. Too many cops in Sydney. Next time you're up that way, take a drive down McCarr's Creek Road into Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, onto West Head, Akuna Bay and back out via Church Point to Mona Vale. Fantastic drivers road and not too many cops.

Just watch out for the herds of cyclists on w/ends...

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for that will do...:thumbup:

Couldnt really push her past 3rd gear..

Now all I got a do is download your directions onto my sat nav..\:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
No worries mate.

As for me I haven't been driving my car as much as I would like as I've been busy. Did how ever take it to 180kph earlier in the week on a straight. She was just purring along at that speed and still accelerating. Beautiful.

We are fortunate down here to be blessed with good driving roads, little traffic and easy going cops. Been pulled over several times since moving here for speeding and each time been let off with a warning.

A cop even went pass me coming the other way while I was speeding and didn't even bother to do a u-turn to pull me over, instead he just waved his index finger at me, as if to say "naughty boy".

In spite of this I still have managed to get booked speeding 3 times (yeah I know I'm a lead foot), buy mobile speed cameras where I never got a chance to talk my way out of it. The good part is that fines are cheap here AND I never got any points deducted, as I still have my NSW drivers licence and out easy going cops down here haven't been bothered to inform the RTA about my infringements in TAS.:thumbup::thumbup:

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

How fantastic is that. Keeping your points and all. If only the boys in blue where that kind here.:thumbup:

Man I got a $185 fine for being parked within the 5 metres of a bus stop exit lane.

And I think, I am the only person in Australia to be booked for being in "The Overtaking Lane" on the freeway and not overtaking.

The worst thing was it was a long weekend and I lost double demerits.

I was in my 330Ci coupe up near North Kempsey at 8.30am just about to pass a slow car when I saw the copper passing on the opposite side of the highway.
He then does a U turn and books me for not overtaking in the overtaking lane.:iono:
Tried to tell the F### wit that I didnt overtake cause I would of exceded the speed limit and then would of got booked for speeding..
He said bad luck buddy...Asshole..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Yeah they are a bunch a a-holes on the mainland, especially in Vic where I have been booked doing 2kph above the speed limit - ridiculous.

Parking fines are just OTT. Over here in Launceston, I got booked for letting my parking meeter expire.... $10 fine Cheaper than some parking in Sydney!

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Get me a job...We are moving south..:roundel::roundel::roundel:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Go zuzette :thumbup:...just a tip, make sure u don't try this with new R-35 GTR :wink:
      07-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Yeah they are a bunch a a-holes on the mainland, especially in Vic where I have been booked doing 2kph above the speed limit - ridiculous.
That would be from a camera not an actual police officer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
And I think, I am the only person in Australia to be booked for being in "The Overtaking Lane" on the freeway and not overtaking.

The worst thing was it was a long weekend and I lost double demerits.
hahah that is incredible. I think you are right - the first and last person to be booked for that offence. What a prick of a cop.

People sitting in the righthand lane is my biggest pet-peave on the road. They seem to take it so personally that you want to go faster than them.

I got 2 fines for driving in a bus lane on George st (within 1 week) - total 6 demerit points and $500. I am taking it to court - if i lose I will lose my licence And the court date is at the end of September - right when the 135 is due to arrive

So it will sit there for 3 months if I lose....
      07-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_buster View Post
Go zuzette :thumbup:...just a tip, make sure u don't try this with new R-35 GTR :wink:
Thanks for the tip,Raj..
It was a one off situation..Just thought I would play with them a bit and Zuzette of course...
Just give her a little tweek..:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
hahah that is incredible. I think you are right - the first and last person to be booked for that offence. What a prick of a cop.

People sitting in the righthand lane is my biggest pet-peave on the road. They seem to take it so personally that you want to go faster than them.

I got 2 fines for driving in a bus lane on George st (within 1 week) - total 6 demerit points and $500. I am taking it to court - if i lose I will lose my licence And the court date is at the end of September - right when the 135 is due to arrive

So it will sit there for 3 months if I lose....
Thats a bummer..good luck with the appeal...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
That would be from a camera not an actual police officer.
Yup that's correct. I'm really surprised that this blatant robbery has been allowed to perpetuate without some sort of class action taking place.

How can they book you for exceeding the speed limit by 2kph when car speedometers are allowed to be 10% off in the ADRs. I know most car's speedos are optimistic, but I also know for sure that some display a SLOWER speed than actually going. My Volvo is one such car.

Besides, isn't it more dangerous to be constantly looking at ones speedo than the road? Surely the additional danger the extra 2kph presents is totally negligible, but not concentrating on the road is far more of a concern.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #18
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yup that's correct. I'm really surprised that this blatant robbery has been allowed to perpetuate without some sort of class action taking place.

How can they book you for exceeding the speed limit by 2kph when car speedometers are allowed to be 10% off in the ADRs. I know most car's speedos are optimistic, but I also know for sure that some display a SLOWER speed than actually going. My Volvo is one such car.

Besides, isn't it more dangerous to be constantly looking at ones speedo than the road? Surely the additional danger the extra 2kph presents is totally negligible, but not concentrating on the road is far more of a concern.
Here is how they get away with it.

You are detected at 10% over, ie: 66kmh in a 60 zone, you get 3kmh ( you say you got 4 but in the end it doesn't matter how much) taken off the speed as a tolerance allowance. If after this you are still over 60kmh you get the rubber fist... no lube. Welcome to the Demokratik Republik Of Victoria.
Back when these things started you got 10Kmh over as leeway and after that you got nailed. Fine, I was happy with that as it allowed reasonable tolerances. Now it's plain theft.
For the record, the police do the enforcing, our government sets the limits,
I didn't vote for them before you say anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #19
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

You are detected at 10% over, ie: 66kmh in a 60 zone, you get 3kmh ( you say you got 4 but in the end it doesn't matter how much) taken off the speed as a tolerance allowance. If after this you are still over 60kmh you get the rubber fist... no lube. Welcome to the Demokratik Republik Of Victoria.
Back when these things started you got 10Kmh over as leeway and after that you got nailed. Fine, I was happy with that as it allowed reasonable tolerances. Now it's plain theft.
The 10 kph leeway rule still applies here. I got it directly from a local copper I was talking to.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #20
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

I must annoy everyone else on the road - but whenever I drive past a speed camera, I always do 5km/h below the posted speed limit. Especially in the Lane Cove Tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #21
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The 10 kph leeway rule still applies here. I got it directly from a local copper I was talking to.
the difference is your ticket won't come to you less than 66 which is 10% .. so allowing 4Kmh leeway, you wont get nailed till you are doing 70.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #22
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:

I had a very close call last weekend which proved the 10% rule still applies in NSW (sometimes, at least). Was driving north on the F6 freeway near Helensburg (south of Sydney). I had my GPS Performance Box on the dash and it was reading 122km/hr in the 110km/hr zone ... when I went past a cop hidden behind bushes in the median strip. He had his laser pointed straight at me but dropped it as I went by. Didn't follow at all. 12ks over and I still have my record of 20 years without ever incurring a speeding fine (touch wood). But remind me not to visit Victoria in any hurry.