BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
ECU modification terminology

This is really peeving me since I entered the world of 1er and Nissan enthusiasts....

I've read so many threads referring to the performance chip as obtaining a tune...its driving me nuts. Its just like how the kids nowadays are calling wheels "rimz" or dubs. The context to me just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I feel like I'm stuck in a Fast and the Furious movie.

First of all...
from dictionary.com

tune // ", "6"); interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high"); interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t"); interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fluna%2FNEW%2FNEW15490.mp3"); interfaceflash.write(); // ]]> Audio Help /tun, tyun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toon, tyoon] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, tuned, tun·ing. –noun 1.a succession of musical sounds forming an air or melody, with or without the harmony accompanying it. 2.a musical setting of a hymn, poem, psalm, etc., usually in four-part harmony. 3.the state of being in the proper pitch: to be in tune. 4.agreement in pitch; unison; harmony. 5.proper adjustment, as of radio instruments or circuits with respect to frequency. 6.harmonious relationship; accord; agreement. 7.Archaic. frame of mind; mood. 8.Obsolete. a tone or sound. –verb (used with object) 9.to adjust (a musical instrument) to a correct or given standard of pitch (often fol. by up). 10.to adapt (the voice, song, etc.) to a particular tone, to the expression of a particular feeling, or the like. 11.to bring (someone or something) into harmony. 12.to adjust (a motor, mechanism, or the like) for proper functioning. 13.Radio and Television. a.to adjust (a circuit, frequency, or the like) so as to bring it into resonance with another circuit, a given frequency, or the like. b.to adjust (a receiving apparatus) so as to make it compatible in frequency with a transmitting apparatus whose signals are to be received. c.to adjust (a receiving apparatus) so as to receive the signals of a particular transmitting station. 14.to put into or cause to be in a receptive condition, mood, etc.; bring into harmony or agreement. 15.Archaic. a.to utter, sound, or express musically. b.to play upon (a lyre). –verb (used without object) 16.to put a musical instrument in tune (often fol. by up). 17.to give forth a musical sound. 18.to be in harmony or accord; become responsive. —Verb phrases19.tune in, to adjust a radio or television set so as to receive (signals, a particular station, etc.). 20.tune out, a.to adjust a radio or television set so as to stop or avoid receiving (a station or channel). b.Slang. to stop paying attention to a person, situation, etc. 21.tune up, a.to cause a group of musical instruments to be brought to the same pitch. b.to begin to sing. c.to bring into proper operating order, as a motor: Before starting on our trip we should have the car tuned up. —Idioms22.call the tune, to decide matters of policy; control: He was technically running the business, but his father still called the tune. 23.change one's tune, to reverse one's views; change one's mind: She changed her tune about children when she married and had her own. 24.sing a different tune, to be forced to change one's ways, attitude, behavior, etc.: He will sing a different tune when he has to earn his own money. 25.to the tune of, Informal. in or about the amount of: In order to expand, they will need capital to the tune of six million dollars.
In the context of a vehicle getting a reprogrammed ECU for the intent of higher performance gains, we are buying a performance chip/EEPROM not a tune. Each performance chip/EEPROM is programmed to a set of variables of throttle mapping, spark, fuel injection, increased boost pressure, etc. to the goal of obtaining an optimal mix and performing reliably with the results of higher performance. This act of programming an performance chip or EEPROM is known as chip tuning, but it is not a "tune"!!!

The car is "tuned up" when you replace spark plugs, spark plug leads, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter change in order for the car to running in proper specifications.

Somebody prove me wrong. Sorry, I just had to rant that out.
      06-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
This is really peeving me since I entered the world of 1er and Nissan enthusiasts....

I've read so many threads referring to the performance chip as obtaining a tune...its driving me nuts. Its just like how the kids nowadays are calling wheels "rimz" or dubs. The context to me just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I feel like I'm stuck in a Fast and the Furious movie.

First of all...
from dictionary.com

tune // ", "6"); interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high"); interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t"); interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fluna%2FNEW%2FNEW15490.mp3"); interfaceflash.write(); // ]]> Audio Help /tun, tyun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toon, tyoon] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, tuned, tun·ing. –noun 1.a succession of musical sounds forming an air or melody, with or without the harmony accompanying it. 2.a musical setting of a hymn, poem, psalm, etc., usually in four-part harmony. 3.the state of being in the proper pitch: to be in tune. 4.agreement in pitch; unison; harmony. 5.proper adjustment, as of radio instruments or circuits with respect to frequency. 6.harmonious relationship; accord; agreement. 7.Archaic. frame of mind; mood. 8.Obsolete. a tone or sound. –verb (used with object) 9.to adjust (a musical instrument) to a correct or given standard of pitch (often fol. by up). 10.to adapt (the voice, song, etc.) to a particular tone, to the expression of a particular feeling, or the like. 11.to bring (someone or something) into harmony. 12.to adjust (a motor, mechanism, or the like) for proper functioning. 13.Radio and Television. a.to adjust (a circuit, frequency, or the like) so as to bring it into resonance with another circuit, a given frequency, or the like. b.to adjust (a receiving apparatus) so as to make it compatible in frequency with a transmitting apparatus whose signals are to be received. c.to adjust (a receiving apparatus) so as to receive the signals of a particular transmitting station. 14.to put into or cause to be in a receptive condition, mood, etc.; bring into harmony or agreement. 15.Archaic. a.to utter, sound, or express musically. b.to play upon (a lyre). –verb (used without object) 16.to put a musical instrument in tune (often fol. by up). 17.to give forth a musical sound. 18.to be in harmony or accord; become responsive. —Verb phrases19.tune in, to adjust a radio or television set so as to receive (signals, a particular station, etc.). 20.tune out, a.to adjust a radio or television set so as to stop or avoid receiving (a station or channel). b.Slang. to stop paying attention to a person, situation, etc. 21.tune up, a.to cause a group of musical instruments to be brought to the same pitch. b.to begin to sing. c.to bring into proper operating order, as a motor: Before starting on our trip we should have the car tuned up. —Idioms22.call the tune, to decide matters of policy; control: He was technically running the business, but his father still called the tune. 23.change one's tune, to reverse one's views; change one's mind: She changed her tune about children when she married and had her own. 24.sing a different tune, to be forced to change one's ways, attitude, behavior, etc.: He will sing a different tune when he has to earn his own money. 25.to the tune of, Informal. in or about the amount of: In order to expand, they will need capital to the tune of six million dollars.
In the context of a vehicle getting a reprogrammed ECU for the intent of higher performance gains, we are buying a performance chip/EEPROM not a tune. Each performance chip/EEPROM is programmed to a set of variables of throttle mapping, spark, fuel injection, increased boost pressure, etc. to the goal of obtaining an optimal mix and performing reliably with the results of higher performance. This act of programming an performance chip or EEPROM is known as chip tuning, but it is not a "tune"!!!

The car is "tuned up" when you replace spark plugs, spark plug leads, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter change in order for the car to running in proper specifications.

Somebody prove me wrong. Sorry, I just had to rant that out.

Fix your post... then perhaps people will respond.

"Tune" has many meanings. You can "tune" a radio in or tune a piano... it is the act of making something precise and effecient. If you buy a "tune" for your car such as a flash or a piggyback... you didn't tune a car, someone else has.

Not seeign your over-all point, though I am not looking to hard either since your OP is such a mess.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

LOL ..

I think it is from the standpoint of fine TUNING different settings to achieve what you want

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Robinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

When I tell people that i have a piggyback, I get a look of "what the hell is he talking about?", so I then tell them it's basically a tune, and then they get it. Kinda of a simplification if you will.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I believe it is referred to as tuning because, technically, after modifying your car you would take it to a "tuner" who adjusts the settings (ie, boost, A/F, etc) with the car on a dyno. Thus, tuning it.
      06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
LOL ..

I think it is from the standpoint of fine TUNING different settings to achieve what you want

Crowley
Chip it!
      06-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
Chip it!
Chip it real good.
      06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
yes, i agree "chip it", i got "chipped", "my car has a chip in it that makes it go fast!"

Not that Tokyo Drift BS, "those cars are only factory tune, do better than 120kph, they don't even try..." pfft!
      06-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yes, i agree "chip it", i got "chipped", "my car has a chip in it that makes it go fast!"

Not that Tokyo Drift BS, "those cars are only factory tune, do better than 120kph, they don't even try..." pfft!
ok i see what the problem is. you know the lines from f&f and that's why you get the f&f association. i don't have that problem.

also, in you original post you said that "chip tuning" is an acceptable use of the term. so why do you have a problem with using the noun "tune" as related to "chip tuning"?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

So if I run a piggy-back on my car, I have tricked it? Put a trick on it? I'm running a trick? Tune sounds better. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
So if I run a piggy-back on my car, I have tricked it? Put a trick on it? I'm running a trick? Tune sounds better. IMHO
no, why not just call it what it is a "piggy-back", and not a musical piece.
      06-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
ok i see what the problem is. you know the lines from f&f and that's why you get the f&f association. i don't have that problem.

also, in you original post you said that "chip tuning" is an acceptable use of the term. so why do you have a problem with using the noun "tune" as related to "chip tuning"?
I'm just citing a popular reference for the usage of the word "tune", whether you admit to having enjoyed that movie or not, it is used in that movie and is almost overused on this message board.

I personally have a peeve with the word tune because tune does not describe a performance chip. You don't put a "tune" in your car, you tune (verb) your car with programming. Maybe you sing a tune along while driving. Maybe you listen to some tunes while driving that twisty mountain road. That is what I've been used to. I'm just curious as to why this whole usage of the word "tune" came about, perhaps its from that movie.

:iono::biggrin:
      06-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
hotpants
Private
Rep
Drives: MB 135i

Quote:
I'm just citing a popular reference for the usage of the word "tune", whether you admit to having enjoyed that movie or not, it is used in that movie and is almost overused on this message board.

I personally have a peeve with the word tune because tune does not describe a performance chip. You don't put a "tune" in your car, you tune (verb) your car with programming. Maybe you sing a tune along while driving. Maybe you listen to some tunes while driving that twisty mountain road. That is what I've been used to. I'm just curious as to why this whole usage of the word "tune" came about, perhaps its from that movie.

musicians "tune" their instuments all the damned time for peak performance. so it can be used in the automotive world just the same. just cuz someone calls a cotton swab a Q-tip is no reason to get upset over something. a performance does "tune" your car for the best peformance wether it be for peak power or peak gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants View Post
musicians "tune" their instuments all the damned time for peak performance. so it can be used in the automotive world just the same. just cuz someone calls a cotton swab a Q-tip is no reason to get upset over something. a performance does "tune" your car for the best peformance wether it be for peak power or peak gas mileage.
Yea, but that usage is in the verb form of the word tune which I mentioned I agree with.

You don't call a finely tuned musical instrument, an instrument with a "tune" that just doesn't make sense. :biggrin:

Who's upset? I just thought of the topic and its been pretty amusing so far.
      06-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
hotpants
Private
Rep
Drives: MB 135i

Quote:
Yea, but that usage is in the verb form of the word tune which I mentioned I agree with.

You don't call a finely tuned musical instrument, an instrument with a "tune" that just doesn't make sense. :biggrin:

Who's upset? I just thought of the topic and its been pretty amusing so far.
sorry though you were peeved about something. peeved as in angered. anyway. you can use the word tune as a noun. what is a noun. person place or thing. what is a tune? a set of parameters or commands that alters the original programming of the car. so a tune is a list of things that are loaded onto your piggy-back. if you have a piggy back that doesnt necessarily mean you have been tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants View Post
sorry though you were peeved about something. peeved as in angered. anyway. you can use the word tune as a noun. what is a noun. person place or thing. what is a tune? a set of parameters or commands that alters the original programming of the car. so a tune is a list of things that are loaded onto your piggy-back. if you have a piggy back that doesnt necessarily mean you have been tuned.
Ok so let's take your definition as an example...tune as a noun as you described...but what is that "tune" burnt onto? What does that silicone piece with "tune" called? A Performance Chip. I doubt if you go to a mechanic shop, they would not understand what a performance chip was?

It's like saying "I got a ham and cheese bread", where I could and should have said, "I got a ham and cheese sandwich".

In the 350z world (and maybe s2000), I could understand that tune as a noun would make sense SINCE you would mod the car with NA equipment or turbo components, then go get some performance programming done, hence a "tune" on a burnt chip. With a 135i however, you could just walk into Dinan and get a performance chip and you've got a completely different animal. You could get a procede V3 and just install it with even better results. You can throw a "piggy-back" on and it'll work. With the japanese cars, you'd have to custom code a "tune" to get the car to run properly.

In the 1.8T/2.0T VW/Audi world, you wouldn't need any mods, just "CHIP IT" and boom, you've got a wicked quick car :biggrin:

I could really understand it if maybe you'd be doing some "tuning" if you implemented a solution like Megasquirt or some kind of standalone ECU parameters. That would be tuning.

Even a friend of mine quoted me a situation, where he chipped his trailblazer and went attended Trailblazer enthusiast meet and told other Trailblazer owners he got a performance chip installed. They looked at him like he was from Mars and said, a chip? Oh you mean a "tune"?
      06-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It's like saying "I got a ham and cheese bread", where I could and should have said, "I got a ham and cheese sandwich".

L-O-L haha... that's funny

dude, i'm totally with you... my drag car has a Holley Standalone, that car has been dyno TUNED... my 2002 1.8t GTI has a CHIP in it... I plan on getting a CHIP for my 135i as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

i like the implication that i'm not admitting something. classy

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
i like the implication that i'm not admitting something. classy
Just as classy as you come in here telling me I have a problem because I associated this whole topic from a movie. If you don't like the thread or have nothing nice to say, don't click and move on.
      06-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

don't get bent out of shape cause you're the one who knows all the lines, ok? and i did have something to say - i pointed out that tune refers to chip tuning.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
don't get bent out of shape cause you're the one who knows all the lines, ok? and i did have something to say - i pointed out that tune refers to chip tuning.
stay classy
      06-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:

Fast & Furious is a new movie... tuning cars is an old term.

I have no idea what your hang-up is over the term, but it a legitimate term for modifying your car's engine management functions.

Perhaps you're just new to cars and have never been exposed to in-depth conversation about engines....? I suppose you never heard or used the word "ride" as referring to your car either, hunh..?
Appreciate 0