XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-09-2022, 02:19 AM   #1
snow_bound26
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D, Saab 9-2 Aero

Tips for trans service

I'm about to do a full driveline fluid and trans service on my 2012 X5D. I've read a DIYs and watched a couple YouTube videos as well. Think I have a pretty good handle on what to do. Was wondering two things:
1) any tips or tricks when it comes to reinstalling the metatronics into the trans? Not sure how delicate it is and want to make sure it goes smooth. Spent years and years working on manual trans cars. This is my first auto in 25 years of driving and first auto I've ever worked on.
2) I have seen mixed info on needing to reset something after doing a trans service. Is there any part of the computer system in the car that needs resetting? I'm currently in northern NY about 3hrs to the closest BMW service center and don't have a way to reset anything computer related myself. If something does need to be reset, will driving it for a few hours be an issue if I can't find a local mechanic here who can do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_bound26 View Post
I'm about to do a full driveline fluid and trans service on my 2012 X5D. I've read a DIYs and watched a couple YouTube videos as well. Think I have a pretty good handle on what to do. Was wondering two things:
1) any tips or tricks when it comes to reinstalling the metatronics into the trans? Not sure how delicate it is and want to make sure it goes smooth. Spent years and years working on manual trans cars. This is my first auto in 25 years of driving and first auto I've ever worked on.
2) I have seen mixed info on needing to reset something after doing a trans service. Is there any part of the computer system in the car that needs resetting? I'm currently in northern NY about 3hrs to the closest BMW service center and don't have a way to reset anything computer related myself. If something does need to be reset, will driving it for a few hours be an issue if I can't find a local mechanic here who can do it?
Just be operating room clean and observe the torque sequence for the valve body and you will be set. If you are doing it outside, I would wait until it is completely calm and lay down some brand new cardboard on the ground, a gust of wing picking up some dirt would be a nightmare to clean properly.

If you replaced the solenoids, you definitely need to do a reset. If you just did the sleeves, then I would drive first and see how it feels and reset if it seems funky. Watch videos on best practices for the relearn procedure and best to do it late at night when not alot of traffic if you have to reset. Driving without a reset should not be an issue, just take it easy if you replaced the solenoids but you have to make a judgment call too if the shifts seem to far out of wack.

I believe the Foxwell NT510 and up can reset adaptations on the E70. Or if you have a laptop, load up ISTA and grab a D-CAN cable off Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #3
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Check the mechatronics lock while the sleeve isn't in place, I had to fiddle with it a few times to learn how to get it right. And using a pressurized fluid container like shown on the transfer case diy on here makes life much easier.
And if you haven't planned on it yet, definitely do the bridge seal and tube seals from valve body to transmission, a little more time and a few more dollars, to replace brittle deals that can crack and cause pressure loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:10 AM   #4
snow_bound26
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D, Saab 9-2 Aero

Sorry for the delay on responding. Been busy. Thanks for the advice. I will be doing this outside, but I'm pretty protected from wind and my neighbor has a garage I can use if needed.

I bought the trans service kit from FCP Euro, so I will be doing all the seals but not the solenoids. I'll haven't seen the DIY on here. I'll take a look at that one as well. Thanks for the advice. I'll post again if I have any other questions.
Appreciate 0