proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-24-2022, 10:52 PM   #1
Vandaljimenez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Continuous Breather Valve Failure

What's up cats and kittens,

I'm looking to hopefully get some guidance on saving money and time. What I mean by that is that I've replaced my valve cover twice in the last 6 months due to PCV valve failure (whistling when at idle coming from engine bay). I've become a fucking pro at replacing valve covers on the S55 at this point. My dilemma is that I'm running a custom Full E85 tune on my F80, making mid to high 500s. I can only assume this is causing excessive pressure in the crankcase, causing the breather valve to fuck itself.
I've seen rocket scientists drill a hole in the center of the valve as if it'll solve all their problems, mechanical and mental. I just can't see myself half-assing anything on this car. Ive been thinking of installing an AOS to mitigate oil buildup, or even looked into a Vargas valve cover, but I'm not keen on random aftermarket parts.
Let me know what you guys have in mind that can help.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Sorry that I can't speak to why you're getting too much pressure in the case. It doesn't sound like your engine is built too heavy. Hopefully one of our mechanics here can chime in on it.

As for the OCC/AWS and the VTT valve cover, those aren't the answer…

1) The VTT cover has the front breather holes right near the VANOS chain and gear so lots of oil spray gets sucked into the PCV tube. I almost bought one but my mechanic had recent problems, and VTT said it's just like that. No help from VTT as usual. My mechanic said if you do install the VTT cover you'd definitely need a full AWS plumbed in to catch all that spray.

2) On the OCC topic, it doesn't change the pressure, just gives a place for any vapor to "catch". Gasoline makes little catch, but running E85 makes quite a bit. The only benefit I've seen from OCC so far is that it slows the alcohol dilution of engine oil when running E85.
      02-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Did you happen to replace the breather hose at the front? I replaced my valve cover and had an immediate failure of the new one. Replaced it again and replaced the cracked breather hose and it's been good since then.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
Vandaljimenez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Sorry that I can't speak to why you're getting too much pressure in the case. It doesn't sound like your engine is built too heavy. Hopefully one of our mechanics here can chime in on it.

As for the OCC/AWS and the VTT valve cover, those aren't the answer…

1) The VTT cover has the front breather holes right near the VANOS chain and gear so lots of oil spray gets sucked into the PCV tube. I almost bought one but my mechanic had recent problems, and VTT said it's just like that. No help from VTT as usual. My mechanic said if you do install the VTT cover you'd definitely need a full AWS plumbed in to catch all that spray.

2) On the OCC topic, it doesn't change the pressure, just gives a place for any vapor to "catch". Gasoline makes little catch, but running E85 makes quite a bit. The only benefit I've seen from OCC so far is that it slows the alcohol dilution of engine oil when running E85.
Thanks a lot for that feedback, I'll stay away from the Vargas cover. I did notice I had a bit of buildup (looks like yellow corn) in the breather hose that connects at the front of the valve cover when I installed the new one this time.
I might just replace the hose just because and install the OCC since I'm on Full E85 as you said. It only makes sense

Anybodys got input on drilling a hole on the breather valve?
Appreciate 0