BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #1
pedro2u
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3 6MT, '08 E92 335Xi

Garage List
Doug Rates the M3’s

Doug DeMuro ranks all the M3’s. We all love our cars, so I’m ready for everyone not to agree!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post

Doug DeMuro ranks all the M3's. We all love our cars, so I'm ready for everyone not to agree!
I'm still confused as to why anyone would give this guy credibility anyway? He's a nerd who found a format in a sector that works. His videos now are just commercials whose sole purpose are to prop up his own endeavors. I'm anti bullying in any form but he's the guy that would get bullied and no one would take serious in high school but now he has a few subs and his words are taken as gospel. Maybe its my atheism that allows me to take his words with a grain of salt, it's not gospel, it's hot garbage.

YouTubers have just become vehicles with a "greater" purpose and have all lost their focus years ago. Just pump out some trash and hope for the sponsors to pick it up. Ohh that video didn't work, let's make some more garbage until we figure out the algorithm and then rinse and repeat.

Stop taking these clowns so serious.
Appreciate 9
DanMpower3246.50
jiggz2148.50
qskid2810.50
CHSe92251.50
Silos555.50
THEROK1270.50
      02-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post

Doug DeMuro ranks all the M3's. We all love our cars, so I'm ready for everyone not to agree!
I'm still confused as to why anyone would give this guy credibility anyway? He's a nerd who found a format in a sector that works. His videos now are just commercials whose sole purpose are to prop up his own endeavors. I'm anti bullying in any form but he's the guy that would get bullied and no one would take serious in high school but not he had a few subs and his words are taken as gospel. Maybe its my atheism that allows me to take his words with a grain of salt, it's not gospel, it's hot garbage.

YouTubers have just become vehicles with a "greater" purpose and have all lost their focus years ago. Just pump out some trash and hope for the sponsors to pick it up. Ohh that video didn't work, let's make some more garbage until we figure out the algorithm and then rinse and repeat.

Ehhhhh, I don't share the same thought on if Doug is a nerd or not, but I understand and share the same sentiment on most YT "car people".

He's not the greatest in his exposition and does corny shit just to do the corny schtick.

We have some members on here who do "build logs" which are just them buying prefabbed shit, slapping it on their cars, then posting and telling people to "like, subscribe, and smash that thumbs up". Those people can fuck right off. Do I really need to know you used some 3M tape and put carbon front splitters on your M3 lol?!?

If you want to support car people, go watch people like M539, or others who ACTUALLY know wtf they are doing/talking about and not chasing clout.

-Duke
Appreciate 5
ATLIEN549.00
GotV8?1050.50
DjMarkOne105.00
      02-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
Ehhhhh, I don't share the same thought on if Doug is a nerd or not, but I understand and share the same sentiment on most YT "car people".

He's not the greatest in his exposition and does corny shit just to do the corny schtick.

We have some members on here who do "build logs" which are just them buying prefabbed shit, slapping it on their cars, then posting and telling people to "like, subscribe, and smash that thumbs up". Those people can fuck right off. Do I really need to know you used some 3M tape and put carbon front splitters on your M3 lol?!?

If you want to support car people, go watch people like M539, or others who ACTUALLY know wtf they are doing/talking about and not chasing clout.

-Duke
M539 is the best for a mix of new and old while still being informing at a technical level.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 4
      02-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #5
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:

-Duke
Most of the car YouTubers, scratch that, most YouTubers, are just marketing tools for whatever industry they're marketing. Every mod they slap on their car comes with a "link in the description" driving the prospective buyer to a specific business. It's all about partnerships and exploiting those partnerships for a small profit share of the sales. There's very little integrity in what they're selling. That's why you see them changing every aspect of their car every 3rd video. They probably don't even like the build, but $$$ speaks louder than personal preference. And of course they love their viewers, who pay to fund their lifestyle and hobby career.

The more of that stuff I watch, the less interesting YouTube has become. Problem is, I just like looking at cars, so it's difficult to avoid, though some of the content has become intolerable, think Stradman, his excitement in every video is SO over the top fake. Then there are others like SubaruWRX fan. Not sure how he got a following. He doesn't know anything about a car and reviews basic things like steering wheel thickness and 9-3 notches in every video.

Off my soap box.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #6
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Doug is a disease in the car world. The biggest hack I've ever seen
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Oh and E46 M3 as #2? Nope. Dead even with the Euro Spec E36 M3 performance wise, except it was more fat, sounded like a lawn mower, felt like it had less torque than the S52. Styling was good though.
Appreciate 1
DanMpower3246.50
      02-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:

-Duke
Most of the car YouTubers, scratch that, most YouTubers, are just marketing tools for whatever industry they're marketing. Every mod they slap on their car comes with a "link in the description" driving the prospective buyer to a specific business. It's all about partnerships and exploiting those partnerships for a small profit share of the sales. There's very little integrity in what they're selling. That's why you see them changing every aspect of their car every 3rd video. They probably don't even like the build, but $$$ speaks louder than personal preference. And of course they love their viewers, who pay to fund their lifestyle and hobby career.

The more of that stuff I watch, the less interesting YouTube has become. Problem is, I just like looking at cars, so it's difficult to avoid, though some of the content has become intolerable, think Stradman, his excitement in every video is SO over the top fake. Then there are others like SubaruWRX fan. Not sure how he got a following. He doesn't know anything about a car and reviews basic things like steering wheel thickness and 9-3 notches in every video.

Off my soap box.
That's fair, and I understand your wanting to "watch neat car stuff" but also the bombardment of YT bullshit that occurs can drive a lot of people away.

The DDE, stradman, Alex Choi, Doug Demuro crowd is just…it's really bad. They either review/do gimmicky shit, or they are just rich and people watch them because they have flashy cars/exotics. Watching the exotic channels is hilarious because they have ZERO knowledge of cars and just throw money at a problem….not my thing.

amrazM We've had our differences before, but 100% agree with you on this point.

-Duke

Last edited by DukeofAlexandria; 02-14-2022 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #9
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
I'm still confused as to why anyone would give this guy credibility anyway? He's a nerd who found a format in a sector that works. His videos now are just commercials whose sole purpose are to prop up his own endeavors. I'm anti bullying in any form but he's the guy that would get bullied and no one would take serious in high school but now he has a few subs and his words are taken as gospel. Maybe its my atheism that allows me to take his words with a grain of salt, it's not gospel, it's hot garbage.

Yup, another big problem is that none of these guys know how to drive the car properly so they don’t end up rating sports cars on how they feel at the limit but instead on just how they feel about the car based on numbers and street driving. So these ratings are all off imo.
Appreciate 2
zcp31294.50
      02-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #10
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

I find Demuro to be pretty entertaining.

Why are you all so offended by his rankings - who cares so much about someone else's opinion? As long as you're happy with the car what difference does it make?

All M3's are great cars, the e9x is my favorite which is why I own one, but that doesn't mean everyone has to think it's "the best" M3 ever made.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3551.50
      02-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #11
Rino924
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Doug is pretty annoying. One thing I do appreciate about him is going through the odd/practical details on cars.

Never going to be able to capture feeling until you drive the car yourself. But it is kind of nice to glance at a video before going to look/drive a car that you might overlook due to emotions.
Appreciate 1
DjMarkOne105.00
      02-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

I like his videos. I'm not watching them to see how the cars drive at the limit. It's obvious he's not pushing them or really knows how to drive fast, but he's not pretending to be that kind of reviewer.

All the hate he gets just seems like people are bitter that a dorky guy's videos are getting so many views.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3551.50
      02-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #13
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

It's weird, you ask any mechanic out here... The E90/92/93 chasis is the most reliable M car ever made. I'm still at 252,000kms and no issues.

I bought into the hype with the rod bearings but they came out looking pristine at 160,000kms
      02-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #14
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
It's weird, you ask any mechanic out here... The E90/92/93 chasis is the most reliable M car ever made. I'm still at 252,000kms and no issues.

I bought into the hype with the rod bearings but they came out looking pristine at 160,000kms
Wow, pristine at 160k km! Would be interesting to see, did you post photos mate?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #15
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:

Wow, pristine at 160k km! Would be interesting to see, did you post photos mate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:

I think I have it in one my threads or I posted it if you search my posts on the rod bearing thread!
      02-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #16
Beemer892
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

Interesting no one seems to be even discussing DeMuro's M3 rankings, rather using this thread to bag on him and other automotive YouTubers.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #17
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer892 View Post
Interesting no one seems to be even discussing DeMuro's M3 rankings, rather using this thread to bag on him and other automotive YouTubers.
That's kinda the point; no one gives a fuck and why should anyone care what others might "rank" them?!?

Everyone has their own opinion and why would anyone listen to someone who admittedly has no mechanical or racing experience?

Each of us like what we like and if you're a person who is easily influenced by YT, well….good luck ha.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #18
Audioslave686
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90/X4 F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Quote:

-Duke
M539 is the best for a mix of new and old while still being informing at a technical level.
M539 channel is incredible!
Sooo enjoyable to watch
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2022, 07:39 PM   #19
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, i think he got this one wrong.
      02-14-2022, 08:04 PM   #20
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer892 View Post
Why would anyone care about his ranking? And if you do care than I'll ask "why do you care?". If you are offended by his garbage then you may be a simpleton.

I'm glad that no one is talking about the actual reviews he's giving. It shows that we're on to them and we're starting to realize that these clowns have zero clout.

It also shows that he had to make a video because that's what one of his contracts told him to do and he came up with nothing, so he had to throw up some poorly done il planned controversial video whose sole purpose was for clicks by enthusiast. All in an attempt to get likes, shares and comments to help his algorithm.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 09:11 PM   #21
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I’ve been a Doug fan for years, ever since I found his article about the CarMax warranty. I’d consider him a knowledgeable car enthusiast. Does he track cars? No, but he reviews the hell out of a lot of cars in an annoying, nerdy, yet thorough way.

I take his content or any others for that matter with a grain of salt. He does well online with his reviews, etc. IMO. He’s not trying too hard to be something he’s not. I think many are reading too much into it.

M359 speaks more of my language but that’s apples and oranges.

To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I care about Doug's opinion on cars just about as much as I care about a random forum person's opinion on Doug. Which is to say, I'm not that interested in either's opinion.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3551.50