BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

11-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
JBR_M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6MT Melbourne Red

best window tint

So I want to get my windows tinted and I dont want to use metallic tint. My question is who makes the best non-metallic ( maybe ceramic ) tint for heat reduction and appearance that will not interfere with radar detectors ( V1 ) or other electronic gadgets?

Thanks for the help
      11-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Most of the guys here go for Pinnacle F1 tints as its proven to work with Comfort Access (CA). Yes its expensive but its proven. Hope this helps.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Pinnacle F1 ceramic is the only way to go.... In this case you really do get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

blah blah...this thread will continue with, what's sure to be, ceramic tint fanboys. the differences between ceramic and metallic tints are highly negligible to anything a human could ever tell. in reality, you will never know the difference between metallic or ceramic, except all the cash you spent on ceramic. i run metallic and have no reception issues or CA blockage at all and it looks awesome. i've shelled out for ceramic tint before, but found it to be no more effective than any of my metallic tint jobs...this comes from years of experience in blistering hot texas summer's.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
blah blah...this thread will continue with, what's sure to be, ceramic tint fanboys. the differences between ceramic and metallic tints are highly negligible to anything a human could ever tell. in reality, you will never know the difference between metallic or ceramic, except all the cash you spent on ceramic. i run metallic and have no reception issues or CA blockage at all and it looks awesome. i've shelled out for ceramic tint before, but found it to be no more effective than any of my metallic tint jobs...this comes from years of experience in blistering hot texas summer's.
I have to agree with Blackepilot. My car has dye dipped tint (not sure if that is metallic or not) and my CA and Passport SRX work just fine.

I payed $250 CAD for it and an extra $100 for the front windshield and it looks flawless.

BTW, my rear windshield looks great too! I went back after a week and he re-pressed it and in some cases used a small pin to puncture air bubbles and it came out looking awesome. Not an eye sore at all!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
F1 for sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I had quite the opposite experience on a previous car. The metallic tint shortened the alarm remote range and affected radio reception. In particular, AM radio reception was pretty much non-existent. So this time I'm going to spend the money on ceramic to see if the results are better.
      11-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I had quite the opposite experience on a previous car. The metallic tint shortened the alarm remote range and affected radio reception. In particular, AM radio reception was pretty much non-existent. So this time I'm going to spend the money on ceramic to see if the results are better.
my AM reception is just fine. in fact, many channels near me broadcast in crystal clear HD radio and it comes in perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
F1 Pinnacle
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

It's just a hype. I went to an audio/tint store and said "I want some 20% tints." Paid $150 for mine and It's been amazing, No comfort access problems no radio interference nothing of that sort. Works fine and looks good. You want to go with ceramic and spend the extra $$ to say that you have the expensive stuff then go for it, personally I can't justify the extra $$ for a Difference I can neither see or feel. Here's a pic of my $150 tint.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
It's just a hype. I went to an audio/tint store and said "I want some 20% tints." Paid $150 for mine and It's been amazing, No comfort access problems no radio interference nothing of that sort. Works fine and looks good. You want to go with ceramic and spend the extra $$ to say that you have the expensive stuff then go for it, personally I can't justify the extra $$ for a Difference I can neither see or feel. Here's a pic of my $150 tint.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Blake, are you calling me a fanboi? I'll show you...

Here's the deal. Metallic tint will not interfere with the FM radio reception, navigation, or satellite in the M3. However, it almost certainly will interfere with your AM radio reception and may interfere with your CA and marginally shorten your radar detector range. If you install a ceramic tint like F1, you're guaranteed not to have any issues. If you install a metallic tint, you may or may not have any issues depending on the tint (the guys at tintdude.com can tell you which metallic tints are more problematic in this respect than others). I've always liked the peace of mind, appearance, and effectiveness of F1, so that's why I've always recommended it. That doesn't mean that there aren't other good tints out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I have to agree with Blackepilot. My car has dye dipped tint (not sure if that is metallic or not) and my CA and Passport SRX work just fine.

I payed $250 CAD for it and an extra $100 for the front windshield and it looks flawless.

BTW, my rear windshield looks great too! I went back after a week and he re-pressed it and in some cases used a small pin to puncture air bubbles and it came out looking awesome. Not an eye sore at all!
Your dyed tint has no metallic in it, so it will not have any interference issues. Dyed tints aren't so good in places like Texas though. They don't offer the same heat rejection as ceramic or metallic and they tend to fade much easier down here.
      11-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
fanboi
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
That's definitely a lower end dyed tint, but even though I can tell the difference, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with it. The color matches your car well.
      11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
JBR_M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6MT Melbourne Red

Thanks everyone Ive gotten some great feed back....TLud, you said that you can tell the difference between high end tint and lower end dyed tint....how can you tell them apart
      11-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR_M3 View Post
Thanks everyone Ive gotten some great feed back....TLud, you said that you can tell the difference between high end tint and lower end dyed tint....how can you tell them apart
Often times, the cheaper dyed tints have a more "saturated" look to them and have less optical clarity.
      11-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:

Here's the deal. Metallic tint will not interfere with the FM radio reception, navigation, or satellite in the M3. However, it almost certainly will interfere with your AM radio reception and may interfere with your CA and marginally shorten your radar detector range. If you install a ceramic tint like F1, you're guaranteed not to have any issues. If you install a metallic tint, you may or may not have any issues depending on the tint (the guys at tintdude.com can tell you which metallic tints are more problematic in this respect than others). I've always liked the peace of mind, appearance, and effectiveness of F1, so that's why I've always recommended it. That doesn't mean that there aren't other good tints out there.

Your dyed tint has no metallic in it, so it will not have any interference issues. Dyed tints aren't so good in places like Texas though. They don't offer the same heat rejection as ceramic or metallic and they tend to fade much easier down here.

I wouldn't say no issues are guaranteed with ceramic. I put HO ceramic on my car and immediately noticed an issue with CA performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
I wouldn't say no issues are guaranteed with ceramic. I put HO ceramic on my car and immediately noticed an issue with CA performance.
Correct. You certainly are not the first to note interference issues with Huper Optik's ceramic film. Maybe I should have been more specific. I have had F1 Pinnacle installed on 5 different cars with no interference issues whatsoever.

To go into more detail, it has long been suspected that HO film is not truly 100% metal-free and that it is conductive enough to pose problems. Conductive attributes would explain interference with CA. Some materials are more conductive than others, which explains why certain metallic tints cause problems and others don't. Some metals and compounds may also act as RF shields, which complicates the issue.
      11-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:
Correct. You certainly are not the first to note interference issues with Huper Optik's ceramic film. Maybe I should have been more specific. I have had F1 Pinnacle installed on 5 different cars with no interference issues whatsoever.

To go into more detail, it has long been suspected that HO film is not truly 100% metal-free and that it is conductive enough to pose problems. Conductive attributes would explain interference with CA. Some materials are more conductive than others, which explains why certain metallic tints cause problems and others don't. Some metals and compounds may also act as RF shields, which complicates the issue.
Thanks for the good info. I wish someone had told me this before I spent $400.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
M2MG17
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

does anyone know a good installer in LA area??