BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
robbief00
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34, 2015 F15 M Sport

Inexpensive Roof Cross Bar Option

Has anybody tried the OMAC roof cross bars (~$110) for the flush rails yet?

They are half the cost of the BMW OEM option and I can't justify the expensive Thule or Yakima options if I am only laying a light kayak on top.

The only issue I have is their website states "Not suitable for panoramic roof". Isn't the panoramic moonroof standard on F15 or am I mistaken? The installation video even shows it being installed on a X5 with panoramic moonroof
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:01 AM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbief00 View Post
Has anybody tried the OMAC roof cross bars (~$110) for the flush rails yet?

They are half the cost of the BMW OEM option and I can't justify the expensive Thule or Yakima options if I am only laying a light kayak on top.

The only issue I have is their website states "Not suitable for panoramic roof". Isn't the panoramic moonroof standard on F15 or am I mistaken? The installation video even shows it being installed on a X5 with panoramic moonroof
It's likely not for pano roof because the glass may hit the bars when open, depending on where bars are placed.

However, with hauling kayaks its not the weight of the kayak that you need to worry about when it comes to the cross bars, its the force of wind pressure when driving down the highway. Kayaks are subject to high amounts of drag, and if cross bars or mount systems aren't up to snuff they will literally rip away from the rails. Some of the cheaper brands don't use good clamps that work loose fairly easy. I'm not familiar with OMAC to know if they use quality clamps and attachment mechanisms.

I would check if the crossbar is physically connected to or part of the clamping mechanism. Some just slide or bolt into the plastic end caps, and then the clamp attaches to the plastic caps without actually attaching to the bar itself. That plastic becomes the weak spot and fractures and breaks under stress.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
robbief00
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34, 2015 F15 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
It's likely not for pano roof because the glass may hit the bars when open, depending on where bars are placed.

However, with hauling kayaks its not the weight of the kayak that you need to worry about when it comes to the cross bars, its the force of wind pressure when driving down the highway. Kayaks are subject to high amounts of drag, and if cross bars or mount systems aren't up to snuff they will literally rip away from the rails. Some of the cheaper brands don't use good clamps that work loose fairly easy. I'm not familiar with OMAC to know if they use quality clamps and attachment mechanisms.

I would check if the crossbar is physically connected to or part of the clamping mechanism. Some just slide or bolt into the plastic end caps, and then the clamp attaches to the plastic caps without actually attaching to the bar itself. That plastic becomes the weak spot and fractures and breaks under stress.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I don't know why I was only fixed on the load weight and not wind drag on the highway. Good point. It looks like they sell three different styles for the flush rails:

https://omacshop.com/collections/car...w+model_x5-f15

I got a reply from their customer service that it is compatible with the pano roof but you are right, they give that disclaimer since it may prevent it from opening.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

I've been running this cheap setup since 2018 and it's worked great w/ my pano roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

I purchased something like this a few years back which worked fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27325526479...UAAOSwD7xhXf-x
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0