ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Icelink-iPod problem after battery change

After replacing a dead battery in my 2005 Z4, although all self installed systems (BMW alarm, V1 and GPS) and the radio worked fine, my Icelink/ipod didn't. My IL is installed via the radio. When I turn the radio to ipod mode I get the following "ice>link plus *ipod*," but no sound. The up and down arrows will momentarily bring up tracks (TR 2, TR3, etc), but no sound. How do I reset the IL/ipod, if that's what needs to be done?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

Try disconnecting the battery, touch the 2 battery cables together to dischage residual current, then reconnect. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysew View Post
Try disconnecting the battery, touch the 2 battery cables together to dischage residual current, then reconnect. Good luck.
Tom, the guy from euroautosource where I got the icelink said that my icelink may be going south and that I should disconnect it because it may ruin my system. I'm waiting to hear from him about what he means by ruin my system. I guess I could try your suggestion, but before I do, could you tell me what the suggestion is based on? Have you done this in a similar situation?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

Tom @ EAS gave me the same advice (disconnect the battery and drain residual current) when I was troubleshooting my ice/Link. That being said ice/Link is a total piece of rubbish. The one I bought never worked right out of the box (pardon me, it worked fine as long as you didn't start the engine, start the engine then it died), no warranty support from the vendor, no warranty support from the manufacturer, total junk...

Enough of my rant, hope you get your unit sorted out and working. Good luck,
dave
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

I guess I was lucky in that my icelink worked perfectly until now. Also, Tom at europeaautosource has been fully supportive in promptly answering all my questions and even offering to send me a new unit whaen I was having a particular problem. Maybe with the car's battery going fully dead after about two weeks of non-used, the ipod's battery may also have gone dead. I'll be checking that today.
Appreciate 0