New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
mac-z4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Glove Box Removal

Does anyone have detailed instructions for removal of the glove box for 2011 Z4. Pictures, illustrations, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
mac-z4
Private
Rep

Update: After reviewing a number of posts, I've been able to remove all visible screws that attach the glove box. However, the left side of the box is still attached to the console side near the lid dampener. Has anyone experienced this problem? Also, looks like the knee protection airbag is attached to the bottom of the glove box. This adds an element of concern when prying and pulling the box in this area. Best I waIt until someone with experience responds. Really appreciate any guidance you may have.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I assume you've watched the video on this post from this forum?

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthr...ve+box+removal
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
mac-z4
Private
Rep

Thanks Eltee for the response. Yep, I viewed this video multiple times very carefully. It appears to show the Knee protection air bag (white item) attached to the bottom of the removed glovebox. And, he references with a red circle on the airbag cover panel that there maybe a screw under the panel that must be removed. I have tried multiple ways to remove this panel with no success. I'm concerned that if I apply to much pressure, I may damage the airbag. If I had guidance on how to remove the airbag panel or a photo of the back of the panel, this would be a great help.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
AM26
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

I was able to take out the glove box. What you need to do is to remove the undertray panel (the one with 3 screws). Disconnect the battery, wait for at least 30 minutes. Then lay on your back with your head under the knee airbag facing it. You will see 2 big bolts holding the airbag. Remove those bolts while holding the airbag so it does not fall on your head (I suggest unscrewing them almost all the way, the getting up from under the glove box su that you would not be hit if the airbag explodes for some reason) after unscrewing the bolts remove the airbag carefully (be careful with the airbag wires, they are located on the outer side (facing the doors) of the airbag. Carefully unplug the airbag and take it out. Then you will be able to see the screw holding the glovebox. (Before unscrewing the airbag I suggest screwing in some bolts to hold the glovebox in place when the airbag is removed so you don't damage anything)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

check the next post on Service and Repair Manual. Someone posted a link to a 7,000 page manual Z4 2013. If you can figure out how to navigate through it it should be helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
mac-z4
Private
Rep

Thank you AM26 for the detailed response. Excellent step by step instructions. However, I may want to rethink this project. My goal was to simply repair the wiring to the glovebox light (mice damage during winter storage). I was anticipating simply removing a few screws for quick access to the damage wring. I'm not sure fixing the glovebox light, that is seldom needed, is worth the risk of possibly damaging or triggering the airbag. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0