BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Machoo78
Rep
Drives: E87 120i

Alignment issues. Subframe or something bent?

Hello guys. I'm having issues with my 1er, the front right wheel sticks out noticeably out of the fender. The front left is fine and sits under the fender.

Looking at it, it's certainly a camber problem. I changed my tierod ends back in spring and got my car aligned. The sheet says that after the alignment the camber was for the left -1,1 and for the right 0.37. I also replaced the swaybar links in May. What I found very weird was that the right link was bent. This has led me to think that something else is also bent and causing excessive positive camber.

My other guess is that the subframe is out of alignment, as I dropped it back when I did my oil pan and just tightened it back up. Some people said that the subframe has centering taps that center it.

What do you guys think? Subframe or bent component?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Subframe would be harder to bend. Tie rods / camber links are usually designed to be the sacrificial part in accidents. I would always bet on those first.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:30 AM   #3
Machoo78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Subframe would be harder to bend. Tie rods / camber links are usually designed to be the sacrificial part in accidents. I would always bet on those first.
Both of those I have replaced. I am thinking of replacing the thrust rods and maybe the control arms. My main concern is not that the subframe is bent, but that the subframe is not centered properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoo78 View Post
Both of those I have replaced. I am thinking of replacing the thrust rods and maybe the control arms. My main concern is not that the subframe is bent, but that the subframe is not centered properly.
From what I've seen, the subframe self centers on the frame of the car, so if the subframe were not actually centered correctly, than the root cause would be a bent frame.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
Machoo78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
From what I've seen, the subframe self centers on the frame of the car, so if the subframe were not actually centered correctly, than the root cause would be a bent frame.
Alright, I doubt I have a bent subframe but if some component is bent will it be visible? Should I measure some points to compare between sides?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Alright, I doubt I have a bent subframe but if some component is bent will it be visible? Should I measure some points to compare between sides?
I think one of the few places I've seen a bent subframe is where the actual control arms attach, I would check there first. Maybe try with a known straight angle to place against and see if there is any deflection or slightly crumpled areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Visual is not science nor any credible measurement metric.
The bumper could be mounted improperly and give a skewed visual. We can't say.

The alignment had to have been done by Helen Keller. And if it's really those numbers you'd certainly have some complaint other than it looks wrong. I'm confident you're looking at the sheet wrong.

Take the car to a good alignment shop and have them look it over. If we deem something wrong you'll be going there anyways. Cut out the middle man.
Appreciate 0