BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
dmn8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Tint Issue - Question

Just took delivery of new JetBlack/Black coupe and was planning on doing a light (50%) legal tint. I have used this shop in the past and ironically it is the same one the dealer uses.

When I went to drop the car off the installer warned that when tinted the windows would appear to have a silver/white appearance where the black dots are around the outer edge of all the windows.

I had him hold off. Have any of you experienced this? My concern is that it would really stand out on a black car???
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
tintboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

A good tinter can get it to stick. The black dots a called dot matrix. The reason that they are telling you it will have a silver look is because on most cars that have them when tint is applied there isnt enough surface of glass in between the dots for the tint to stick, so the tint looks silver. But on the bmws if you use a good film and heat up the matrix enough to dry out the water it will stick. Sometimes its best to drop off you car for a whole day. Reason why because after you get done tinting the car they can park it out in the sun let the water dry out and rub all the matrix and it will sit down alot better. Now on the coupes they have a large patch of matrix on the rear window. if they dont know how to glue it down after tinting the top part of rear window will also be silverish on top. When looking for a good tinter ask if they can get all the dot marix to sit on top of the rear window, that is the most important.Hope this helps

PAST~2011 E92M3 Space Grey Gintani STAGE X
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintboy View Post
A good tinter can get it to stick. The black dots a called dot matrix. The reason that they are telling you it will have a silver look is because on most cars that have them when tint is applied there isnt enough surface of glass in between the dots for the tint to stick, so the tint looks silver. But on the bmws if you use a good film and heat up the matrix enough to dry out the water it will stick. Sometimes its best to drop off you car for a whole day. Reason why because after you get done tinting the car they can park it out in the sun let the water dry out and rub all the matrix and it will sit down alot better. Now on the coupes they have a large patch of matrix on the rear window. if they dont know how to glue it down after tinting the top part of rear window will also be silverish on top. When looking for a good tinter ask if they can get all the dot marix to sit on top of the rear window, that is the most important.Hope this helps
Do you do tint? Looking for a good tinter and I see you are in NJ, and your name kind of indicates that.......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

50% is a waste of money...go 35%...you won't get hassled..
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
tintboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Do you do tint? Looking for a good tinter and I see you are in NJ, and your name kind of indicates that.......

maybe...j/k yes i do. Pm me for info

PAST~2011 E92M3 Space Grey Gintani STAGE X
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
PJS313
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Black Sapphire X5 M50i

Got tints done on my coupe today...went to a reputable tinter and asked him about the dot matrix he told me he would try his best but couldn't promise about the top of the rear window. I think they just say that in case it doesn't end up right or something. Anyway he used some sort of glue mixture on the rear and everything looks great the dots on the side windows look good too. I would definitley go darker than 50% too I had 35 on my last car and thought that wasn't enough went with 20 and it looks awesome with the white and cf roof. Not really a hassle with the cops having tints down here in Florida though.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
i had F1 Pinnacle Tint done at 15% all 5 windows. Looks awesome. The dot matrix issue...everyone is dealing with it. Don't worry. If it bothers you have them add a vinyl strip but beware after some time it will fade--the strip that is.