BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
hillerk
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i coupe

1 Series Back-up Camera

Hi Everyone, my son wanted a back-up camera for his car for Christmas. He has a 2013 E82 with navigation.

After looking and rejecting the need to spend 699 (extra 250 for carplay) from Bimmertech on the Camera, I ordered one from WAKAA. Below is my experience. Read the entire thing it has a good ending.

The order process
Prior to ordering, I sent emails to the WAKAA confirming that the product in question would work in my son’s car. I had done my research so I knew that I had CIC, but he originally told me to order NBT - 6 pin. After him telling me that he has sold a lot of these, I finally took a picture of the back of the unit and confirmed it was, in fact 4 pin. He then agreed and said he forgot it was a US Manufactured car. I also asked him if I could install a back-up camera that would work when the car is in reverse and he said it would work. The product, with camera, delivery, tax and everything was $299. Even though I had my concerns, I took the risk as the savings was over $300. I paid for the unit via Pay Pal and received a tracking number for CNE

The delivery process
So ordered it and received my tracking number on or around 12/1. Three days later, the product had not moved on the CNE tracking site, so I email WAKAA. The replied quickly and said they noticed it had not moved and would check into it. Several days later, I emailed back. Again, they said they were looking into it. I then contacted a Chinese speaking co-worker and set out to call CNE myself. She then yelled at someone for about 30 minutes, got off the phone and instructed me that they did not know where my package was and could I submit a photo. My co-worker believed I would never get my product. I then email WAKKA again and told them that they lost the product. So….To email every day for a week and in defense of WAKAA, the responded every time, but no movement. On or about the sixth day, and by this time I am beginning to be friends with the guy (YANG) at WAKAA, he said that I could either have a refund or he would ship another unit. I told him, and I do not know why I still trusted them, that as long as he sent it DHL, he could still send. About 10 days later, the package arrived through DHL.

Installation
No directions but a video in German. You could use English subtitles to get it in English. Help was very minimal, but I figured it out with no knowledge.
After all that, I opened the package and was amazed that everything was there. The installation process was simple except for one things, which I will go over.

The first thing I had to do was remove the face plate for the radio and remove the radio. Very simple and just followed 15,000 web videos on it. The actual interface is actually plug and play. I unplugged the radio, plugged the interface cords into the radio the radio cords to another port, and that was about it. I popped out the handle in the trunk, put in the camera handle and ran 2 cords underneath the door jam and up to the interface cords and plugged in. I got my negative to a bolt in the trunk and the positive to the interface. That was it on the back-up camera. Th last item was I had to run a cord to the idrive unit. Very easy as the unit popped out, I unplugged the wire, plugged it into the interface and plugged the entire cord into the i-drive and done.

We tested everything and it worked. Now the hard part!!! There is not room for this little tiny box. I looked all over the internet and could not find my exact configuration. The only thing that worked was to push it in between the radio and glove box. Sounds easy, I had to take apart 15 things to get to it and I can probably never get it out. But it is in. The last thing was to push the radio and all of the wires in. After working on it for about 2 hours, my son and I got close and took the cram approach. We started the screws and kept screwing until it was even. Seems to work.

How does it work.

1. The back-up camera work flawlessly. It even knows when the wheels move. I did not have to wire it into the reverse lights, the interface just seems to know. Could not be more happy.
2. The car-play is good and bad. We have apple phones, so everything is wireless. Android is wired. To get to the set-up menu, you push and hold the menu button on your I-Drive. Once in you connect your phone and apple-car play should show up. My son says it connects most of the time and works well. He has dropped his phone 600 times and it looks like it has been through a trash compactor, so could be his phone. None the less, it does work. The BT address seems to change a lot so he has to connect every few times he gets into the car, which is annoying. I have emailed to get a solution. If not, a few seconds to connect is not horrible.
The really cool thing is that it retains all of your original functions. All controls and microphones work for the stock, even when dialing or using car-play. You cannot use SIRI because I did not install the aftermarket microphone, but he never really used it anyway. They allow you to connect it through the AUX port, but we never really did it, because everything worked anyway. I guess if you wanted volume on the Google MAPS, you could plug it in, but it seemed pointless.
Anyway, 299 at WAKAA vs 950 at Bimmertech, I think the cost savings and headache was worth it. It has only been a week, but so far, so good.

Last edited by hillerk; 01-08-2021 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
parnet17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013bmw135is

Glad it turned out ok. With my e88 vert I too was looking for a camera. With all the choices and prices out there I wanted to get one with no hassles if needed to be returned and didn't want to spend a lot of money. Ended up buying a TypeS solar powered, wireless with a 6.8 screen from Costco on sale from $159 to $109. 5 minutes to install, the screen is powered by 12v from the cigarette lighter. Only negative was it came with a sticky dashboard mount with a arm. I wanted to install it in a cd phone mount but ran into the problem with the depth of the clamps because of the molded piece on the back which attached to the arm. Ended up using a Dremel tool to cut it off and ordered a cd tablet mount which had a depth of 3/4' and opened wide enough. It works great and the wide angle takes care of a lot of your blind spots. Turns on when you start the car and on the road wave your hand in front of it and the screen is activated.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Does this simply mirror the iPhone display and functions?
I would be interested in seeing this work if we ever have cars and coffee again
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:36 AM   #4
parnet17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013bmw135is

Don't know what you mean about mirroring the I phone. Will try to take a picture of it. The only regret is the screen size is 6.8" and a little large, I discovered they also make a 4.3" screen but too late.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

Sounds interesting. I've been using the cave-man technique of lowering the top whenever I was in a real dangerous blind spot, lol. Can you please post pics installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnet17 View Post
Don't know what you mean about mirroring the I phone. Will try to take a picture of it. The only regret is the screen size is 6.8" and a little large, I discovered they also make a 4.3" screen but too late.
I refer to the Car Play app. Would be cool to actually mirror the screen of the iPhone on the nav/iDrive screen
Pics or a short video of the functionality would be great
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Same here

I've been known to drop the convertible top to maneuver out of blind spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotontom View Post
Sounds interesting. I've been using the cave-man technique of lowering the top whenever I was in a real dangerous blind spot, lol. Can you please post pics installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
hillerk
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
I refer to the Car Play app. Would be cool to actually mirror the screen of the iPhone on the nav/iDrive screen
Pics or a short video of the functionality would be great
I tried to upload a video tonight, but had trouble getting it off my phone. I will try again in the next couple of days.

to answer your question, the new interface has several different options.

1:If you have an android device it will mirror the phone through USB
2: You can also use the Android Auto feature
3: If you have an Iphone, it wirelessly connects your iphone and looks just like car play in a new car.
4: there is a feature to mirror your iphone, so technically you could watch a video going down the street. I tried this in park for a second, and it worked, but will probably never use.
5: You can use the BMW CIC or NBT program
Appreciate 0