BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

N55 radiator, small leak at upper hose

My car is at the dealer and they do not have the radiator in stock. Is there something I can do to somehow "patch" this so I can get through the weekend?
      12-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

You could use any of the radiator patch products, BUT DON'T! I would not want that stuff flowing though my cooling system.

I guess it depends where the problem lies. I had an old Civic with a plastic radiator that I accidentally broke at the top when I was pulling a battery out. I used some JB Cold Weld with a C-clamp to hold the broken chunk in place. I drove that car for another 3-4 years without issue from the radiator. I'm sure it could get you through the weekend.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
You could use any of the radiator patch products, BUT DON'T! I would not want that stuff flowing though my cooling system.

I guess it depends where the problem lies. I had an old Civic with a plastic radiator that I accidentally broke at the top when I was pulling a battery out. I used some JB Cold Weld with a C-clamp to hold the broken chunk in place. I drove that car for another 3-4 years without issue from the radiator. I'm sure it could get you through the weekend.
I agree, i wouldn't use sealant in the system, it can clog other things. I think some of the newer cars have all aluminum radiators. Our cars inthe 1M forum here have N54 motors so not positive. I would ask for a loaner car myself. Sorry about the problem....sadly it happens a lot on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
My car is at the dealer and they do not have the radiator in stock. Is there something I can do to somehow "patch" this so I can get through the weekend?
They can repair just the upper radiator hose right? Or are they replacing the whole radiator for some reason?

I've had my upper radiator hose replaced after I noticed a small leak from the plastic bit that serves as the coupler end had a crack.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Uber is your friend. Don't try duct tape or haywire
Appreciate 0