BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Raularango
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Bmw

What should I get first steering wheel or exhaust?
      12-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
What steering wheel do you have now?
What are you trying to achieve?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Raularango
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
What steering wheel do you have now?
What are you trying to achieve?
I have the M sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters but it's getting a lil worn out and I'm just trying to make my car look better and sound better as well
      12-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Here's a list of Genuine BMW Steering Wheels. The ones that fit your car say "E8x."

https://www.getbmwparts.com/c-steering-wheels-12

Here's a link to the M Performance Exhaust for the 135i. There are other exhausts you can buy for your car but this one is Genuine BMW.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...5i-18102208806

I had the Performance exhaust on my 135i for years and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

BTW, OP, you gotta start titling your threads something useful, "BMW" doesn't really do much for titling a thread.

Also, you can wrap your steering wheel with a DIY kit, MeWant is a popular brand, they can do pretty much anything in terms of leather, perforations, thread color, etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wanted to add: there's a ton of information here, OP. If you take the time to do some research you will probably find the answers to most of your questions. Except for questions like "what should I get first steering wheel or exhaust." You'll have to answer that one yourself.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Wanted to add: there's a ton of information here, OP. If you take the time to do some research you will probably find the answers to most of your questions. Except for questions like "what should I get first steering wheel or exhaust." You'll have to answer that one yourself.
Yea. If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, that is most definitely first on the list.

PS: OP -I know what you meant, just having a little fun.
dtla1827.50
      12-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Quote:
Yea. If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, that is most definitely first on the list.

PS: OP -I know what you meant, just having a little fun.
      12-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
Raularango
Private
Rep

Bmw

Quote:
Here's a list of Genuine BMW Steering Wheels. The ones that fit your car say "E8x."

Here's a link to the M Performance Exhaust for the 135i. There are other exhausts you can buy for your car but this one is Genuine BMW.

Is it worth getting the exhaust does it make the car sound better or louder
      12-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raularango View Post
I thought it sounded great. Louder with a better tone. Definitely worth getting. Lots of people got it and were happy with how it sounded. Read up on it here, you'll find a bunch of threads and videos on the subject. Check out YouTube as well for some videos that aren't on the forum.

A lot of the Performance parts have become "No Longer Available." Don't know when that will happen to this exhaust but I do know that the Performance exhaust for the 128i is NLA and many 128i owners are disappointed that it's gone. If you decide you want it, get it while it's still available.

PS - you'll hear it even more with the top down in your convertible.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
Raularango
Private
Rep

N54

Quote:
Quote:
I thought it sounded great. Louder with a better tone. Definitely worth getting. Lots of people got it and were happy with how it sounded. Read up on it here, you'll find a bunch of threads and videos on the subject. Check out YouTube as well for some videos that aren't on the forum.

A lot of the Performance parts have become "No Longer Available." Don't know when that will happen to this exhaust but I do know that the Performance exhaust for the 128i is NLA and many 128i owners are disappointed that it's gone. If you decide you want it, get it while it's still available.

PS - you'll hear it even more with the top down in your convertible.
Thanks man yea I just bought the M performance exhaust and looking to get the steering wheel next after that rims
Petro135452.50
      12-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man yea I just bought the M performance exhaust and looking to get the steering wheel next after that rims
Congrats! let us know what you think of the PE once it's installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #13
Raularango
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats! let us know what you think of the PE once it's installed.
Will do hopefully I like it. I might like it since I haven't been disappointed by Bmw M Performance parts
      12-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
sburkeatqmi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:

How can you tell if you have the PE other than the exhaust tips? I have the M sport package & the exhaust sounds pretty good as it is. It's loud with a nice throaty sound. I wouldn't think you would want it any louder but you never know. I'm not sure it's worth it for a few extra HP unless there are other benefits to it. I have the black tips by the way. They go well with the black car & black wheels.
      12-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburkeatqmi View Post
Quote:

How can you tell if you have the PE other than the exhaust tips? I have the M sport package & the exhaust sounds pretty good as it is. It's loud with a nice throaty sound. I wouldn't think you would want it any louder but you never know. I'm not sure it's worth it for a few extra HP unless there are other benefits to it. I have the black tips by the way. They go well with the black car & black wheels.
There's a little metal plate welded on the muffler that says performance exhaust. Also, the complete performance exhaust kit also deleted the last resonator and replaces it with a a "y" pipe (just straight through, but describes the shape).

Personally I felt the performance exhaust sounds a tad better than the stock m-sport one. It's just a little bit louder, but more importantly it has a more even sound with deeper tones and also a nice tone at the higher revs. It's hard to describe obviously, but I just feel like it takes the sound of the m-sport one, and rounds out the sound a bit more, makes it sound fuller.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree that the stock exhaust sounds pretty good. The PE sounds better but that is subjective and everyone has their own taste. It's not necessarily loud but maybe you might think so if you're happy with the stock exhaust the way it is. No real extra hp. 5hp are mentioned in the link I gave, but honestly, I didn't notice any difference. I personally like the chrome exhaust tips on the PE better than the stock black ones. Again, subjective, and to each their own.

PS - noticed your 1er is a convertible. Everything outside sounds louder in a vert, including the exhaust, as I'm sure you know.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-08-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #17
Raularango
Private
Rep

Got the performance exhaust

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that the stock exhaust sounds pretty good. The PE sounds better but that is subjective and everyone has their own taste. It's not necessarily loud but maybe you might think so if you're happy with the stock exhaust the way it is. No real extra hp. 5hp are mentioned in the link I gave, but honestly, I didn't notice any difference. I personally like the chrome exhaust tips on the PE better than the stock black ones. Again, subjective, and to each their own.

PS - noticed your 1er is a convertible. Everything outside sounds louder in a vert, including the exhaust, as I'm sure you know.
Can't wait to install how much you think bmw dealership would charge me
Attached Images

12-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #18
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prob 3-4 hours of labor?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #19
sburkeatqmi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:

I'm actually surprised that the interior is as quiet as it is. Not including the exhaust but I really don't hear as much outside noise as I would expect with a vert with the top up. As far as the exhaust tips go I prefer the black ones since they match the rest of the car. The only thing that's not black are the kidney grilles. They are chrome. I'm thinking of swapping them out for either flat black or the shiny black ones.
      12-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #20
Raularango
Private
Rep

Bmw Gang

Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually surprised that the interior is as quiet as it is. Not including the exhaust but I really don't hear as much outside noise as I would expect with a vert with the top up. As far as the exhaust tips go I prefer the black ones since they match the rest of the car. The only thing that's not black are the kidney grilles. They are chrome. I'm thinking of swapping them out for either flat black or the shiny black ones.
Sick car black on black what color is the interior
      12-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
Raularango
Private
Rep

135i Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prob 3-4 hours of labor?
You think it will be under or over $500
      12-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #22
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prob 3-4 hours of labor?
You think it will be under or over $500
Under
Appreciate 1