BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Question about tune file

So I this is a double question

1. If I flash everything in ISTA/P (I need to program my VIN to a new satellite radio module), will I lose my tune? I have a BPM tune and have lost the original file. If I do lose it, is the file recoverable? I'm sure I can ask BPM this part, but I'm just wondering if anyone has needed a duplicate file in the past.

2. Has anyone had experience with the bimmergeeks expert (not pro) cable? It claims to be able to flash any module on an E chassis including the MOST interface. I've read reports of it working well for this, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone here has used it on our vehicles. I know that M3's have to have the EWS coded to match the DME from what I've hear and I want to ensure that this cable will do that.

TIA, sorry for the long read.
      10-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

All you need to do is flash the vin to the new sat module with ncs or tool32 there is no need to use ista.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
All you need to do is flash the vin to the new sat module with ncs or tool32 there is no need to use ista.
I'm not experienced with these, but I could probably figure it out based on what I've read so far. It seems pretty simple to change a VIN with winkfp actually so I'll probably go with that. Has anyone had experience with the cable I mentioned?
      10-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know that this isn't exactly the place for radio stuff, but I figured I'd update for anyone who finds this thread. The module doesn't need to be programmed to the VIN. I ended up getting a bad module. As far as the expert cable goes, I'll update when I try flashing something else with it.
      11-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
I'm not experienced with these, but I could probably figure it out based on what I've read so far. It seems pretty simple to change a VIN with winkfp actually so I'll probably go with that. Has anyone had experience with the cable I mentioned?
Yes, I have flashed the DME quite a few times using the BimmerGeeks Pro cable. No problems with that using WinKFP and flashing software written by TerraPhantom
(https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e...r-now-released)

Have not tried to update the CIC however.

You also asked "I know that M3's have to have the EWS coded to match the DME from what I've hear and I want to ensure that this cable will do that."
Choice of cable is irrelevant for this operation. It cannot be done using inexpensive software via OBDII. If, for example, your DME has failed and you wish to replace it with a used one, you are SOL without very special knowledge and equipment. The practical alternatives are a) buy a very expensive new one from BMW, who will do the necessary SK write at the factory or b) read the SK from your existing DME using Terra's software (if it can still communicate via OBDII), encode it properly for EWS4 systems then use an EPROM programmer to write it to a chip in the CAS.

Last edited by dpaul; 04-05-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0