BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

10-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
elemental808
Rep
Drives: TBD

Purchasing 2008 AW 6MT Coupe Today! Need Advice!

Let me first start out by saying that I've been a lurker here for a while now, only wishing that I could one day get my hands on an E92 6MT Coupe. I am a previous E46 M3 owner and loved it, but eventually had to give it up for something more 'practical'. However, after the new BMWFS rates came out and I 'convinced' the wife, I am ready to jump into one today.

I went down to the local BMW dealership (I am in Hawaii and we only have one) and test drove a Alpine White 6MT coupe that was loaded (Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, power rear sunshade, etc.). The MSRP on it was 70720. The dealer offered me 68125 (2595 off of MSRP). However, the car had 500 miles on it.

I've been hoping to talk them down to invoice or possibly lower. However, I can't seem to find an accurate invoice price on this particular car. Can anyone here get help me out with this? Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
monk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M

That's a used car man.

www.cars.com.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Shoot for around $65,000.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
jaay11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Dinan 2

500 is used....

If you really want that car, use the 500 miles as your leverage.....and tell them you are willing to start at invoice and agree to their profit.....for a used car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
elemental808
Rep

extremely frustrating

8 hours at the dealer, what an insane trip. I initially took a trip to the local BMW dealer to have an AC problem in my wifes car looked at (2008 E60 535i).

I took the car out for a verification ride along with the shop foreman and pulled into the service lane. Immediately after, a parking attendant backs a X3 right into my 535i. Huge dent and paint scuffs all along the rear half of the car. I thought I'd go nuts, but I pulled it together and took it up with the service management (along with the long list of repairs this car has had in the past year).

In the end, I'll be getting a trade assist done for the vehicle of my choice. The wife has fallen in love with the E60 M5, but I can't blame her one bit. We'll be working out the details with the dealer and hopefully picking one up in the next few weeks. For now the wife is driving around in a loaner 328i wagon, she is not thrilled at all about the situation.

But back to the 'real' reason for the trip, the fully loaded 2008 E92 (everything except DCT), AW 6MT. I threw everything I had at the SA but basically it came down to the fact that they are the ONLY BMW dealer in the state, therefore monopolizing the entire BMW market in the islands. The car had 450 miles on the clock and I was able to get 4k off the sticker with some floor mats, truck mat, and BMW store gift certificates thrown in. The SA said that the only reason I was getting a discount off sticker was due to the mileage, any other M3 wouldn't get a discount at all. I had a hard time believing that, but also realized that is the probably as good as it's going to get here. Regardless, the E92 is such an amazing car that I jumped on it anyway.

Somewhat of a bittersweet ending, got the car I wanted but had my wifes car trashed in the process. Had this been any other state, we'd be off to another dealer without hesitation. I guess thats the price of living in 'paradise'. I'll post pics in a day though. Thanks for all the input guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental808 View Post
I threw everything I had at the SA but basically it came down to the fact that they are the ONLY BMW dealer in the state, therefore monopolizing the entire BMW market in the islands. The car had 450 miles on the clock and I was able to get 4k off the sticker with some floor mats, truck mat, and BMW store gift certificates thrown in. The SA said that the only reason I was getting a discount off sticker was due to the mileage, any other M3 wouldn't get a discount at all. I had a hard time believing that, but also realized that is the probably as good as it's going to get here.
That pretty much how it goes at BMW Honolulu and every other luxury car dealer on the island. Since there is only one of each and shipping a car here from the mainland is a huge PITA, they pretty much bend you over. I was able to get a very small discount from MSRP and floor mats on my ordered 09 E90 which is due to come in at the beginning of next month but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
elemental808
Rep

I definitely hear that. I had an E46 M3 prior to this that I purchased through military sales, but found that it was a huge pain in the @$$. Had to oversee every step of the proces like shipping , paying the hawaii use taxes on my own, and registration. It ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I guess I can consider this deal a 'good' deal after taking everything into consideration. Hawaii sucks for luxury vehicles. Congrats on the E90. Whos your SA?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Congrats on the car...seems like you did the best you could.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental808 View Post
Whos your SA?
Dale. Nice guy. Much more helpful than the asshats at Lexus who wouldn't give me the time of day and had the nerve to ask to run my credit before even allowing me to drive a car. I wish I would have been able to test drive a C63 at Merecedes but since they don't actually bring one in until someone orders one, that wasn't a possibility. After reading all the reviews, I think I made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
elemental808
Rep

BMW of Honolulu is great for customer service, always helpful and willing to do right by their customers. I just hope that they make things right with this recent incident. Like they say, time is money; and I've spent countless hours or even days bringing in my wifes E60.

When's your E90 come in?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

ETA is first week of November. The ship is scheduled to reach the west coast on 10/12 and I was told it would take another 3 weeks to get here and be ready for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I test drove that AW 6mt, twice. I actually fishtailed it around the corner on my test drive. Sandra, the SA, told me to floor it on the Uturn. Unfortunately for her, she didn't realize the Traction Control was off. It was none the worst for wear, but it was fun. First time I drove it, had only like 50 miles. After a month, when I drove it again it had 450 miles.

I instead ordered mine through military sales. Now it's alot less painful since they'll do all the shipping paperwork and have it shipped to your local dealer. I just have to register it myself. As for the use tax, I'm going to apply for an exemption since the car will be on the island for less than a year.

BTW, don't know if I'm going to get charged GGT, My car is at the dock in Bremerhaven, and I was never charged it from my military sales company.
      10-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #13
elemental808
Rep

Military Sales

I test drove this car a few times also. The mileage was a huge factor in this deal and I hesitated on it for a while. However, it was the ONLY 6MT coupe on the lot and it was fully loaded (alot of it is useless though i.e. SAT Radio and cold weather package).

As for military sales, I paid gas guzzler taxes on my E46. I believe once it gets to the US, you'll deal with BMWNA to get the certificate of origin. If my memory serves me right, you will pay the tax at this point. Once the car gets here on island, you'll take your sales invoice down to the state building to pay the 4 percent use tax. After that, you take all that paperwork to city hall to register the vehicle.

It's a long process and gets you a good discount. However, it just seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth this time around.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Does sound like a pain. Well, I guess I'll have to pay to GGT. We'll see if I can use my exemption for the use tax.

I still don't understand how that 6MT AW got so many miles in such a short time. I know it ain't from people test driving it.
      10-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #15
elemental808
Rep

AW M3 @ BMW Honolulu

Yeah, but the work is worth the savings.

As for the mileage, I couldn't get a clear answer on that also. I figured that it was due to the fact that so many people test drove it. However, you said you test drove it when the mileage was low, when was that?

My patience is wearing thin with BMW of Honolulu to be honest. I really wish there were other alternatives here on island. Oh well, what can you do?!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep

I test drove it about 3 or 4 months ago the first time. Second time was about a 1.5 months after that. Like I mentioned, it had like 25-50 miles on it. Then was I test drove it the second time, was kinda shocked to see 450 miles on it. I never asked the SA where the mileage came from since I didn't intend to buy the car.

That's what monopoly does I guess. I was looking at buying it out of state. My buddy bought a GT500 in Californnia and saved money, even with the shipping. Enjoy the car. Mine is AW also so I hopefully see you on the road.