GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Rear dashcam setup for F83 Convertible?

It seems like the rear camera needs to be mounted pretty high (likely on a custom mount between the rear headrests) in order for the perspective to clear the trunk lid (in top-down mode) and the rear hardtop bottom lining (in top-up mode).

I tested this out with a Blackvue 750s 2-ch dashcam.

Really curious to see what F83 owners' dashcam setups are - can anyone share pics/tips? The search function hasn't yielded anything. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
It seems like the rear camera needs to be mounted pretty high (likely on a custom mount between the rear headrests) in order for the perspective to clear the trunk lid (in top-down mode) and the rear hardtop bottom lining (in top-up mode).

I tested this out with a Blackvue 750s 2-ch dashcam.

Really curious to see what F83 owners' dashcam setups are - can anyone share pics/tips? The search function hasn't yielded anything. Thanks.
you have to make a custom mount, I've forgot about it already.. there is a pun someone made on the blackvue website or search google, they have it.. looks like to much hassle for mounting in the rear. only way to mount in is you put a small cross bar between the rear headrest and a GoPro type mount to hold up the rear camera at least 3 to 4 inches above the cross bar so you can capture the rear full capture.

the other option is to use a smaller camera and mount near the trunk area and some how have it record the rear portion ( best spot to get the full picture)

Let me know what you come up with.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #3
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, it's been tough trying to come up with a solution that is functional, sturdy and doesn't cause too much detriment to the car's aesthetic.

The custom installation shown on blackboxmycar is a decently clean option, but I'm not good enough with my hands to put the custom mount together, and I can't seem to find any shop that does.

I think I'm very close to finding my optimal setup. I'll post pics once I settle on it. It's basically a GoPro type mounting arm clamped to a headrest post, with a phone cradle/bracket at the other end to hold the rear dashcam in place.

The cheaper (and lower quality) solution that I'm using at the moment is surprisingly sturdy, but I've yet to test it with spirited top-down driving on the freeway. I have a much higher quality set coming soon, so hopefully that works out (especially aesthetically lol). Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's my rear dashcam setup - the more robust of the two options. I get a clear view of the rear both with the top up and down.

Tried and tested with the top down on the freeways and also in more fun and bendy areas here in the Bay Area. Stayed on perfectly even after 6 hours of spirited driving.

Appreciate 2
UNivek55.50
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
UNivek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Quote:
Here's my rear dashcam setup - the more robust of the two options. I get a clear view of the rear both with the top up and down.

Tried and tested with the top down on the freeways and also in more fun and bendy areas here in the Bay Area. Stayed on perfectly even after 6 hours of spirited driving.

Mine is similar. Used various GoPro attachments to make an arm attaching to one of the rear head rests. Making sure there is enough height so there is also good rear view when top is closed.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNivek View Post
Mine is similar. Used various GoPro attachments to make an arm attaching to one of the rear head rests. Making sure there is enough height so there is also good rear view when top is closed.
If you have the links to the attachments you used, you may want to share them here so that any other F83 owners can have more options.

I used this headrest post clamp:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ar...%2C221&sr=8-31

Which then attached to this pinch bolt mount:

https://www.tackform.com/collections...-enduro-series

Which then attached to this mounting arm and phone cradle:

Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
UNivek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Quote:
Quote:
If you have the links to the attachments you used, you may want to share them here so that any other F83 owners can have more options.

I used this headrest post clamp:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ar...21&sr=8-31

Which then attached to this pinch bolt mount:

Which then attached to this mounting arm and phone cradle:

Yours definitely look much more purpose built. Mine was made up of GoPro mounting accessories I had lying around. Showed the photo below. Essentially a few 1-2" extensions mounted together and using a bicycle / post handle mount to secure to the headrest. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yours definitely look much more purpose built. Mine was made up of GoPro mounting accessories I had lying around. Showed the photo below. Essentially a few 1-2" extensions mounted together and using a bicycle / post handle mount to secure to the headrest. Hope this helps.
I'm surprised that the bicycle post mount fits the headrest post given that the latter is so much narrower. And that's great that you managed to pull it together using stuff you had lying around. Looks good!
Appreciate 1
UNivek55.50
      09-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

You guys actually find value in this? Other than making your car look hideous? I think the best option might be to try to mount something hidden and weather proof, similar to the back up camera. I just can't get into this front and rear view camera thing -might be useful for an accident, but I think this had been handled well enough before these things existed. Except a hit and run, but what are the odds, prefer take a chance than add that ugly thing
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
You guys actually find value in this? Other than making your car look hideous? I think the best option might be to try to mount something hidden and weather proof, similar to the back up camera. I just can't get into this front and rear view camera thing -might be useful for an accident, but I think this had been handled well enough before these things existed. Except a hit and run, but what are the odds, prefer take a chance than add that ugly thing
I voted with my cash, so, yes, I do find value in it.

I prefer the look of the car w/o the setup, but I am pretty happy with my set up and find it a good balance of trade-offs, so it's all good.

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Appreciate 0