ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-17-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

BMS Elite Performance Intake or Standard with uprated Panel filter?

Last edited by TheMaster1971NL; 07-17-2020 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

BMC drop-ins and Charcoal delete give you about 50% of the spool sound that an under hood (Burger, MST, Eventuri) intake makes. You only get the sound from 2.5-3.5K RPM with a heavy throttle.

A front mount intake (SSR, MSR) gives 150-175% compared to under hood, depending on steel or cotton filters. These also get wet and dirty a LOT easier. I really don't want to remove my grills/bumper every thousand miles to clean cotton filters. I live in a city and they would crud up fast. Northeast snow/rain...I'll pass on these.

BMC was great for <$200 but adding my AA Sig exhaust and catted DPs drowned it out. I went with MST intakes since they keep the bottom half of the factory airboxes and front cold air intake. MST adds open tops to the factory airboxes (blocks rain/snow and engine heat) then the usual red cotton can filters and aluminum ducts. The open top air boxes give plenty of spool sound. I have hi-flow cats that increase the spool sound a little (better flow, but not worth $, headache, inspections).

Just know this up front... there is no way to match the intake sound of drive-by videos against what you hear inside the car. The body drowns out a lot of sound. Many video guys run a clip-on microphone out under the hood. You would have to ride outside on your hood (insert bad ex-wife joke) to hear it all.
      07-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster1971NL View Post
BMS elite for me looks and sounds better than the standard intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
deemack79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
BMC drop-ins and Charcoal delete give you about 50% of the spool sound that an under hood (Burger, MST, Eventuri) intake makes. You only get the sound from 2.5-3.5K RPM with a heavy throttle.

A front mount intake (SSR, MSR) gives 150-175% compared to under hood, depending on steel or cotton filters. These also get wet and dirty a LOT easier. I really don't want to remove my grills/bumper every thousand miles to clean cotton filters. I live in a city and they would crud up fast. Northeast snow/rain...I'll pass on these.

BMC was great for <$200 but adding my AA Sig exhaust and catted DPs drowned it out. I went with MST intakes since they keep the bottom half of the factory airboxes and front cold air intake. MST adds open tops to the factory airboxes (blocks rain/snow and engine heat) then the usual red cotton can filters and aluminum ducts. The open top air boxes give plenty of spool sound. I have hi-flow cats that increase the spool sound a little (better flow, but not worth $, headache, inspections).

Just know this up front... there is no way to match the intake sound of drive-by videos against what you hear inside the car. The body drowns out a lot of sound. Many video guys run a clip-on microphone out under the hood. You would have to ride outside on your hood (insert bad ex-wife joke) to hear it all.
+1 on the MST. I added the autotechnic carbon intake scoops from IND, and they made a nice difference. At 93 degrees ambient, my IAT's were only 12-14* above ambient depending on speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Nice thing about the BMS intake is it retains the factory airbox bottoms for ducting and heat isolation, and sounds a lot better than factory!
Appreciate 1