BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Rear fog light switch 2-for-1 on my '11 128i

Under the heading of "you get lucky once in a while" I went to do the mod to my light switch to enable rear fogs this morning. And realized once I pulled it out that it's the same as the switch for my e91 other than having a black headlight knob. I put an actual Euro Switch in while I was still in Europe on my Euro Delivery nine years ago. I still had the original switch. So I modded that one - it's a late 2011 (last week of e91 production actually) so it had the white things in it already - no Legos needed! And it has the silver headlight knob. So a 2-for-1 upgrade to working rear fogs and the silver trim knob to match the rest of the dash controls. And most amazingly, I found the thing in my garage after nine years!!

If anyone hasn't done this yet, you can get the switch out with very little disassembly if you pull the end panel of the dash off. Pull the weatherstripping out of the way, then pull out the side panel starting at the bottom - it just snaps in and comes out very easily. Once it is out you can reach under the edge with your fingers and release the vent assembly and that comes right out - there are tabs behind the square holes in the edge. You can then reach into the dash and release the four tabs that hold the switch in if you know where to push without even taking any of the screws out, or you can take the four screws out that hold the panel with the switch in place. When putting it back together, put the end panel on FIRST before you put the vent assembly back - much easier!

Next is removing the ugly warning stickers from the sun visors.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0