BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Thoughts...!

So I've been thinking of buying a new/used vehicle...
I think it's about time to let my poor Toyota with 230,000 miles on it rest for a while(135i being my second car)...
I have a list of vehicles that i have been looking at:
- X6(not sure of the year or model)
- 328I(2015 and up)
- 320i(2015 and up)
- Nissan Maxima SR(2016 and up)

Would rather a car that I daily to require little to no maintenance besides the typical oil, tires, etc...
My Toyota has literally been flawless for the time that I have had it which has me thinking to to not even spend the money on a new car...
But with a family(growing) I want the piece of mind for something newer and younger...

Thoughts?
Anyone have to make a decision like this with a family?
What direction did you go in?
(Been doing my research on all these cars for a while btw)

Just looking for some general convo on the matter, maybe something will help my decision!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

If you want a bigger car with little to no maintenance, a RAV4 is the way to go.

I picked up a 2013 model with 32k miles on it last October from an old man. We expect to keep the car for many years because of Toyota's reliability. All I plan to do this summer is do a brake fluid flush.
      06-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
If you want a bigger car with little to no maintenance, a RAV4 is the way to go.

I picked up a 2013 model with 32k miles on it last October from an old man. We expect to keep the car for many years because of Toyota's reliability. All I plan to do this summer is do a brake fluid flush.
My lady has a 2014 RAV4!
So I agree with the reliability...
Two RAV4's might be too much though lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

If reliability is important to you, I tend to agree with the Toyota suggestion. Can be something other than a Rav4 like a Highlander, but, either way.

Are the Maxima's CVT? If so, that's something you need to look into.

You won't get the driving dynamics of a BMW, so that vs BMW is a personal decision.
      06-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
If reliability is important to you, I tend to agree with the Toyota suggestion. Can be something other than a Rav4 like a Highlander, but, either way.

Are the Maxima's CVT? If so, that's something you need to look into.

You won't get the driving dynamics of a BMW, so that vs BMW is a personal decision.
Yes the Maxima's are CVT's...
Been reading up on the issues with them, but from what I've read it seems like they should have all been recalled if an issue is/was present...

I think my decision will come down to a Toyota or Nissan sedan...
I want a Toyota Land Cruiser, but way to expensive for me...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Been reading up on the issues with them, but from what I've read it seems like they should have all been recalled if an issue is/was present...

If you want a good reliable car, you can't go wrong with either unless you just get unlucky.
      06-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Quote:

If you want a good reliable car, you can't go wrong with either unless you just get unlucky.
Understood...

I thinking I will stick with Toyota/Lexus then...
My research continues!
Appreciate 2
gjm1202183.00
Esteban43787.00
      06-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Perhaps a 4Runner? Or could go with a sedan like a GS or LS if you were looking at the F30s. A really quick glance showed some nicely spec'd GSs around 2016 for 25-30k USD. Might be able to catch the tail end of a CPO warranty
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      06-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
I think it's about time to let my poor Toyota with 230,000 miles on it rest for a while(135i being my second car)...
- 328I(2015 and up)
- 320i(2015 and up)

Would rather a car that I daily to require little to no maintenance besides the typical oil, tires, etc...
My Toyota has literally been flawless for the time that I have had it which has me thinking to to not even spend the money on a new car...
But with a family(growing) I want the piece of mind for something newer and younger...

Thoughts?

Just looking for some general convo on the matter, maybe something will help my decision!
You mention reliability as something important yet you are considering two BMWs. I own two BMWs and I don't recommend it if reliability is an issue. Also you are listing newer BMWs with more gadgets and complex things to break than older ones. You already have a reliability burden with a 135i, so you should offset it with something more reliable I feel. I think a Honda, Toyota or Mazda would be better than the Nissan but my friend has that 2016 Nissan and has been fine for him. To illustrate, I have 2003 330i and 2003 Honda CRV. The 330i 136K miles, the CRV 154K miles. The CRV has had 1 starter, 1 door lock servo, 1 door lock cylinder and 1 radiator replaced aside from maintenance in 17 years. My 330i has had headlights, 2 radiators, 2 water pumps, expansion tanks, every window switch, 3 window regulators, control arms and bushings, seat bag sensors, side mouldings, radio and stuff I can't remember now. All of this in the same timeframe and with about 18K less miles than the Honda CRV. So because you already have a "toy car" to play with, get something reliable. You asked for thoughts so here is one. The X6 is an abomination. It is one of the most silly designs in my opinion ever. You get all the weight and mass of an SUV, the terrible BMW reliability without the practicality and room. At least with a real SUV, you get some benefit for all the weight like useful cargo space. Consider finding a used Lexus

Finally, you are listing 5 year old-ish BMWs and that's when things start to break. At least a new one you get a warranty, but at 5 years old is when things start. Anyway, good luck on your search if you want something heavy but that is actually useful and reliable pick up an old Lexus LX470. It is basically a Toyota Landcruiser driving by Suburban moms and Ralph Lauren wearing guys. These are stout, useful vehicles that have seen a gravel parking lot at worst during their kid's dressage practice. : )
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      06-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Perhaps a 4Runner? Or could go with a sedan like a GS or LS if you were looking at the F30s. A really quick glance showed some nicely spec'd GSs around 2016 for 25-30k USD. Might be able to catch the tail end of a CPO warranty
Was looking at an IS 250 and Toyota Camry...
The IS caught my eye honestly...
I really want a land cruiser though but can't justify the cost...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
- 328I(2015 and up)
- 320i(2015 and up)

Thoughts?

You mention reliability as something important yet you are considering two BMWs. I own two BMWs and I don't recommend it if reliability is an issue. Also you are listing newer BMWs with more gadgets and complex things to break than older ones. You already have a reliability burden with a 135i, so you should offset it with something more reliable I feel. I think a Honda, Toyota or Mazda would be better than the Nissan but my friend has that 2016 Nissan and has been fine for him. To illustrate, I have 2003 330i and 2003 Honda CRV. The 330i 136K miles, the CRV 154K miles. The CRV has had 1 starter, 1 door lock servo, 1 door lock cylinder and 1 radiator replaced aside from maintenance in 17 years. My 330i has had headlights, 2 radiators, 2 water pumps, expansion tanks, every window switch, 3 window regulators, control arms and bushings, seat bag sensors, side mouldings, radio and stuff I can't remember now. All of this in the same timeframe and with about 18K less miles than the Honda CRV. So because you already have a "toy car" to play with, get something reliable. You asked for thoughts so here is one. The X6 is an abomination. It is one of the most silly designs in my opinion ever. You get all the weight and mass of an SUV, the terrible BMW reliability without the practicality and room. At least with a real SUV, you get some benefit for all the weight like useful cargo space. Consider finding a used Lexus

Finally, you are listing 5 year old-ish BMWs and that's when things start to break. At least a new one you get a warranty, but at 5 years old is when things start. Anyway, good luck on your search if you want something heavy but that is actually useful and reliable pick up an old Lexus LX470. It is basically a Toyota Landcruiser driving by Suburban moms and Ralph Lauren wearing guys. These are stout, useful vehicles that have seen a gravel parking lot at worst during their kid's dressage practice. : )
Appreciate your posts perspective...
I have a test drive with a 2014 IS 250 and 2014 Toyota camry(v6)...
Will see what comes of it...

I think I have a long road ahead in regards to really finding what I want but I'm ok with that...

Like I said in my previous post, I do want a land cruiser...
I work on the land cruiser 200's at work and I really like it, it's got the space, looks nice and has a V8 for when I need it(gas, I know$)

We will see...
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      06-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
- 328I(2015 and up)
- 320i(2015 and up)

Thoughts?

Appreciate your posts perspective...
I have a test drive with a 2014 IS 250 and 2014 Toyota camry(v6)...
Will see what comes of it...

I think I have a long road ahead in regards to really finding what I want but I'm ok with that...

Like I said in my previous post, I do want a land cruiser...
I work on the land cruiser 200's at work and I really like it, it's got the space, looks nice and has a V8 for when I need it(gas, I know$)

We will see...
All three are great and better choices. The Lexus IS nice because it's a land cruiser not driven by adventurers and are in good shape. You can't go wrong with IS 250 etc. Just one parting thought. If you love a V8 get it while you can! They are. It going to be around and you can still find them with decent mileage. Personally I like sporty sedans like the IS but if anyone enjoys V8s and manuals get them now while you still can and have choice. Best of luck!!!
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      06-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Just bear in mind that there are dealerships that will offer maintenance plans and extended warranties. Having that may open the door to something a little less reliable but more fun, practical, want/need, etc.
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      06-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
X6 - Eww, hell no.
4-Cylinder F30's - Eww, also no.
Maxima - Eww, CVT trash, and...just no.

Maybe look at an early F10 528i with the N52. That would make for a nice daily cruiser that's reliable and luxurious. I think it was only available for the first model year with the N52.
Afam28298.00
      06-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Just bear in mind that there are dealerships that will offer maintenance plans and extended warranties. Having that may open the door to something a little less reliable but more fun, practical, want/need, etc.
I hear you...
My coverage for the 135i ends soon(through my credit union)
Plan on signing up with another aftermarket company...
So I will only need to add this to that coverage if need be...

I'm very familiar with most Toyota's(worked at a Toyota dealership for about 5 years)...
And i do all work needed on my current Toyota, so I may not even need coverage for my next car...
But I know it will be a Toyota/Lexus...

I did test drive a Dodge Challenger though(2020) and loved it!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
X6 - Eww, hell no.

Maybe look at an early F10 528i with the N52. That would make for a nice daily cruiser that's reliable and luxurious. I think it was only available for the first model year with the N52.
Will look into this...
Reliability is my number option...
Well, looks and fun to drive is also up there but reliability has to take the drivers seat...
So hopefully I can get something with everything I want/need...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #17
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:

Speaking of horribly unreliable heaps of crap. Steer clear of EVERYTHING made by FCA BMW is to them what Toyota is to BMW in terms of reliability.

And then there's the build quality. Ouch.
      06-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #18
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Speaking of horribly unreliable heaps of crap. Steer clear of EVERYTHING made by FCA BMW is to them what Toyota is to BMW in terms of reliability.

And then there's the build quality. Ouch.
Lol...
It was nice though...
Maybe it was because it had 3000 miles on the dash!

Very heavy though, straight line only type of car!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Quote:
X6 - Eww, hell no.

Will look into this...
Reliability is my number option...
Well, looks and fun to drive is also up there but reliability has to take the drivers seat...
So hopefully I can get something with everything I want/need...
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ble-used-suvs/

The x3 made the list.
Appreciate 0