XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

Comfort Access Question

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, I looked and couldn't find anything. I was reading up a little on the Comfort Access options and was curious if this is standard for E70 X5's or if was an added feature.

I have a 2012 X5 35i (Premium I think)

Mainly I am curious as to whether I can get away with starting the vehicle with the Key FOB in my pocket, instead of having to insert it in the dash. But I am also interested in being able to lock or unlock using the door handle instead of the Key FOB as well

I am pretty certain I have CA to some extent, because I can code the windows UP/ Down with the Key FOB and I believe that is a CA feature. So would it be possible to add this feature in one of the coding modules? Or does it require installation of other components?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hi,

CA was an option, not all E70s have it.

The easiest way to find out is to try the things you are wanting to do.
If they work, you have CA, if not most likely you don't unless something isnt working correctly.

You can also put the last 7 characters of your VIN in this decoder and look to see if you have the option that says: S322A  Comfort access
https://decoder.bvzine.com/

Adding the option would a require ton of work, require a lot of additional hardware and wiring, as well as a lot of coding and I'm not sure it's really even doable...
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Hi,

CA was an option, not all E70s have it.

The easiest way to find out is to try the things you are wanting to do.
If they work, you have CA, if not most likely you don't unless something isnt working correctly.

You can also put the last 7 characters of your VIN in this decoder and look to see if you have the option that says: S322A  Comfort access
https://decoder.bvzine.com/

Adding the option would a require ton of work, require a lot of additional hardware and wiring, as well as a lot of coding and I'm not sure it's really even doable...
Thanks for the reply. I put my VIN in that decoder and it does in fact have that option S322A Comfort access listed. However, none of the features described above work. No response from door handles and if I try and start the vehicle without the key in the ignition port, it just dings that there is no key detected.

My Key FOB does unlock and lock the doors. As well as opens the liftgate and works with Open and Closing the windows and sunroof.

Could it be a battery issue in the remote that is preventing a strong enough signal, even if the buttons respond?

**Edit** I replaced the battery in the Key FOB and there is no change to the functions.

Last edited by daniel717; 05-15-2020 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found this in the E70 Comfort Access pdf

"If the battery is not changed, the voltage monitoring
facility switches to the second stage. This means that
the data in the ID transmitter are saved. The ID transmitter is then set "inoperable".

Data for Conditioned Based Service
When terminal status "terminal 15 ON" is selected, data for the Conditioned Based
Service is transferred to the ID transmitter using the interior antennas. The ID transmitter then confirms that the transmission was received."

So if it happens to be that the transmitter was set to "inoperable" then the Comfort Access would no longer be functional.

So how do I set this back to operable? What does "terminal 15 ON" mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep

I bought a new Passive Go module of eBay to see if that fixes the issues. I know it doesn't need to be coded, but do I need to restart the CA system or anything with INPA after install? Or just install the module and start engine should be sufficient? newtis just says to carry out coding/encoding after replacing.
Appreciate 0