Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Good morning all (German time)!

I promised to report about an alternative to the sports display for all pre-2015 M5, but this update will be postponed due to another project.

Well, I installed the steering wheel with the display yesterday and now all buttons/levers around this area are not working anymore and my windshield wipers won't stop working

I used a shop manual from 01/2016 and followed every step, used the correct wire colors and took my time. Did anyone install this steering wheel and the corresponding wiring harness themselves? I need some guidance as what to do next, other than dropping it off at the dealership. Car is running, just the steering wheel itself and the 2 levers are affected, but the telescoping mechanism is moving by using my memory button.

2014 M5
New steering wheel and harness
Shop manual 2016

I will attach the wiring diagram and technical description later on, just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this installation. I'm rather frustrated at this point, I double-checked my wiring work along the way and now it's all messed up

Thanks for any support in advance, more details will follow tonight.

Best regards
Stefan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Good morning all (German time)!

I promised to report about an alternative to the sports display for all pre-2015 M5, but this update will be postponed due to another project.

Well, I installed the steering wheel with the display yesterday and now all buttons/levers around this area are not working anymore and my windshield wipers won't stop working

I used a shop manual from 01/2016 and followed every step, used the correct wire colors and took my time. Did anyone install this steering wheel and the corresponding wiring harness themselves? I need some guidance as what to do next, other than dropping it off at the dealership. Car is running, just the steering wheel itself and the 2 levers are affected, but the telescoping mechanism is moving by using my memory button.

2014 M5
New steering wheel and harness
Shop manual 2016

I will attach the wiring diagram and technical description later on, just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this installation. I'm rather frustrated at this point, I double-checked my wiring work along the way and now it's all messed up

Thanks for any support in advance, more details will follow tonight.

Best regards
Stefan
I will double check all new connections and wire colors on Friday, the wiring diagram is pretty straight forward. I just read the entire manual again, I can't think of my mistake right now. The manual is talking about a plug A16*1B to CAS, but I never disconnected it during this installation.

Wish me luck, I need to find the culprit 😅
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Oh boy....good luck! At least you have the rest of the eternity to work on this since you're "working from home".

Separately I have this installed on my car, I love it it's amazing. I found myself using it frequently to monitor oil temperature.

By the way if you need the operating/user manual let me know. It is impossible to find a digital version online. I ended up emailing BMW genius, and it took them two months to get back to me. The wheel is feature packed. Out of the box I could not figure out how to use it, not intuitive at all.
Appreciate 1
problm516.50
      04-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Oh boy....good luck! At least you have the rest of the eternity to work on this since you're "working from home".

Separately I have this installed on my car, I love it it's amazing. I found myself using it frequently to monitor oil temperature.

By the way if you need the operating/user manual let me know. It is impossible to find a digital version online. I ended up emailing BMW genius, and it took them two months to get back to me. The wheel is feature packed. Out of the box I could not figure out how to use it, not intuitive at all.
Good news I took the whole setup apart again and checked all connections, I did get one wire wrong and it messed up all these functions!
Since I was totally focused on getting this amazing wheel to work, I didn't take pics. But if anyone wants to tackle the installation, I'm more than happy to help, it's actually not too difficult. I'm pretty much an expert now 😎

I would really like to get my hands on a manual, the controls are not intuitive at all and I'm aware of a huge array of functions. Would you please provide the digital version, I will send you my email address via PM.

Later on I will take pics of the wheel and play with it, for now I'm tired of the damn thing 🤣
Appreciate 4
problm516.50
HeyKC101.50
Jonzny92.50
Kads_M511.00
      04-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Great news! I received your email. I have to find it. I received it from BMW 2 years ago.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-18-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:03 AM   #6
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great news! I received your email. I have to find it. I received it from BMW 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the manual, helps a lot 👍🏻 now I can set up the wheel today and enjoy its many features!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

No problem. It's a great toy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No problem. It's a great toy.
Programmed the major features, works like a charm. Used it on the Autobahn today, the shifting lights look awesome, totally worth the money imho!
Appreciate 1
JW_ATL345.50
      04-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

What feature did you program other than the shift light RPM threshold?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What feature did you program other than the shift light RPM threshold?
That's the main ones, played with the ed settings a bit. But honestly, who cares about fuel economy in these cars 😂

Well, my steering wheel is working as intended, especially the shift light features is a ton of fun.
But since yesterday, it won't show the water and oil temperature anymore, but the oil gauge in the speedometer is working just fine!
I have the M Performance Drive Analyzer hooked up as well and it's showing the oil and water temperature 🤐
So, anybody with this steering wheel ever experienced this? If not, I guess I have to check all the connections again 😟 oh man, why do I always have to have these totally unnecessary toys 😅
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Wow, you're the only one I know who has both analyzer and wheel setup.

ED is funky. The number isn't even a simple MPG figure, it's a more complex algorithm. When I read it, I said to myself:. Car goes 60 to 100 mph in a blink of an eye, I don't have mental capacity to do math when that's happening
Appreciate 1
SCD-1983575.50
      04-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #12
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow, you're the only one I know who has both analyzer and wheel setup.

ED is funky. The number isn't even a simple MPG figure, it's a more complex algorithm. When I read it, I said to myself:. Car goes 60 to 100 mph in a blink of an eye, I don't have mental capacity to do math when that's happening
Yeah, I don't know another M5 driver either, I'm just into all this funky tech stuff 😎

By the way, my display is working again. I checked the wiring and found a loose connection. Now I should be good to go, let's hope!

And the algorithm behind the ed calculations kept me from getting any deeper into it. Maybe after installing all my remaining parts and being super bored, I will pick up the lecture again 😜
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Wow, so that's the 4th time you had to disassemble the wheel? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow, so that's the 4th time you had to disassemble the wheel? Lol
Feel like attempt #100, but hey, it's a hobby after all and it's working just fine now!
Still enjoy the feel and look of this amazing wheel, great addition to any BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #15
problm5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5, honda civic,

Quote:
Quote:
I'm currently doing this install as well would it be possible so help me out with the instructions I'll dm you my email address
      04-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #16
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by problm5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm currently doing this install as well would it be possible so help me out with the instructions I'll dm you my email address
I sent you the original installation manual, I'm happy to assist you. Please let me know how it goes, it's actually not a difficult task
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
problm5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I sent you the original installation manual, I'm happy to assist you. Please let me know how it goes, it's actually not a difficult task
Got it thanks I will tackle it this weekend I'll post pics and update over The Weeknd
      05-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #18
problm5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Got it thanks I will tackle it this weekend I'll post pics and update over The Weeknd
Finally got time to install thanks guys for the help with dyi now how to save the settings 😫😫😩
      05-12-2020, 05:31 AM   #19
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Finally got time to install thanks guys for the help with dyi now how to save the settings 😫😫😩
I sent you the manual, please follow the instructions, it should work just fine! Good luck again and congrats to the new steering wheel 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
msparta2022
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m6 grand coupe

I refuse to give up after trying for the past two days I am having a difficult time locating plug A16*1B ... I have a 2015 f06 and figured this is where I am currently stuck at. Can anyone point out with an actual pic or illustration as to where this thing is located???

Much appreciated in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #21
Kads_M5
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5 f10

Quote:
Quote:

Good news I took the whole setup apart again and checked all connections, I did get one wire wrong and it messed up all these functions!
Since I was totally focused on getting this amazing wheel to work, I didn't take pics. But if anyone wants to tackle the installation, I'm more than happy to help, it's actually not too difficult. I'm pretty much an expert now 😎

I would really like to get my hands on a manual, the controls are not intuitive at all and I'm aware of a huge array of functions. Would you please provide the digital version, I will send you my email address via PM.

Later on I will take pics of the wheel and play with it, for now I'm tired of the damn thing 🤣
Quote:
Quote:

I'm stuck!!

So I I've done the steering column wire. Pin11 took that brown out and put blue/white in.

CGW- iv done pins 46-47(red and red/blue).

I'm stuck on the green and grey and brown.

It says pin22(red/green) but pin 22 is blank. And pin 32 has pink and white wire.

Using the top black plug.

Please someone help!!

Thanks

Have I even got the correct plug. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #22
Kads_M5
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5 f10

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Can I please get some help on this mate. ThAnsk
Appreciate 0