BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
hjs1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m, 2012 m6 convertible

New to me 2017 X5M

Just purchased above with 39k miles- a few tire questions: fronts are spent/bald, rears seem to have 5k left in them (OEM size 21” MPSS). I guessing this is the second set of fronts, ~20k each time and the third set of rears, ~15k each set. Does that sound about right if it wasn’t driven hard? Also, people talk about tire sizing and staying within certain ratios to not mess up the X drive system. What happens when you put on that monkey spare tire?!? I’d try AAA towing before I put that on, just curious. Lastly, this was originally a California car, I’m in FL, anything funky about that from a DME or emissions standpoint?
It’s BSM over Mugello Red full with CF trim, not for everyone, I know, but I’m liking it for now, pics to come soon. Thanks for any/all responses!
Oh, car fax says rotors and pads done 800 miles ago and yup, they squeal!!!
Time to fix my signature block!
      01-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjs1971 View Post
Just purchased above with 39k miles- a few tire questions: fronts are spent/bald, rears seem to have 5k left in them (OEM size 21" MPSS). I guessing this is the second set of fronts, ~20k each time and the third set of rears, ~15k each set. Does that sound about right if it wasn't driven hard? Also, people talk about tire sizing and staying within certain ratios to not mess up the X drive system. What happens when you put on that monkey spare tire?!? I'd try AAA towing before I put that on, just curious. Lastly, this was originally a California car, I'm in FL, anything funky about that from a DME or emissions standpoint?
It's BSM over Mugello Red full with CF trim, not for everyone, I know, but I'm liking it for now, pics to come soon. Thanks for any/all responses!
Oh, car fax says rotors and pads done 800 miles ago and yup, they squeal!!!
Time to fix my signature block!
Congrats on your new ride! Post pics or it didn't happen. BSM over MR is my absolute personal favorite. Tire wear mileage is about average for MPSS, even driven gently, although YMMV. You did get lucky on the pads & rotors, because that's a costly expense if paid out of pocket. I personally would still use AAA instead of the factory donut, get some return back from your investment in AAA.
If the previous owner had a maintenance contract, you can refresh it through BMW for an additional fee (negotiable). I wouldn't worry about the DME at all. And take it back to the stealer for the squeaking brakes, it's a known problem. Enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
WERND
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Are pads and rotors not covered under the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Apparently DeeO and I have a slight disagreement on the brakes. I bought new pads from PowerStop for $150. No squeal, same feel as OEM, and no dust. I highly recommend this option. The only negative is that the front rotor is not swept entirely due to the need to use an M5 pad.

Dealer fix seems to work for some, not for others. In my case, the dealer wouldn't do a single thing because "high performance brakes are intended to squeal."
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Congrats on your new ride! Post pics or it didn't happen. BSM over MR is my absolute personal favorite. Tire wear mileage is about average for MPSS, even driven gently, although YMMV. You did get lucky on the pads & rotors, because that's a costly expense if paid out of pocket. I personally would still use AAA instead of the factory donut, get some return back from your investment in AAA.
If the previous owner had a maintenance contract, you can refresh it through BMW for an additional fee (negotiable). I wouldn't worry about the DME at all. And take it back to the stealer for the squeaking brakes, it's a known problem. Enjoy in good health.
If you are not the original owner, the maintenance contract does not transfer (unless there is extended maintenance). My dealer made a big deal about not covering the brakes for this reason and did a one-time "courtesy" cleaning and lubrication of the pads.

The newest iteration of the pads (which are on national backorder) have a slighly different design of the friction material against the backing plate and have solved my brake noise problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
If you are not the original owner, the maintenance contract does not transfer (unless there is extended maintenance). My dealer made a big deal about not covering the brakes for this reason and did a one-time "courtesy" cleaning and lubrication of the pads.

The newest iteration of the pads (which are on national backorder) have a slighly different design of the friction material against the backing plate and have solved my brake noise problem.
Yeah my vehicle had the extended maintenance contract. Paid $400 as the 2nd owner to refresh it, and got rotors and pads F+R replaced. I do believe to newer maintenance contracts eliminated the brakes entirely
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Congrats