nahh

Last edited by mastatikle; 10-14-2022 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: shh
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

My first port of call would be to get the rear end back to where it was before.Any extreme rear adjustment on a comp lowered spec will shave the inside tread quicker.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50
      10-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #3
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
My first port of call would be to get the rear end back to where it was before.Any extreme rear adjustment on a comp lowered spec will shave the inside tread quicker.
The best any alignment shop could do is -1.5 on the rear. It just chews through tires with aggressive driving. Idk if this is just a fluke with my car or just a “pay to play” kind of thing. I’m thinking maybe tune it back to stock power levels to ease the tire wear as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
The best any alignment shop could do is -1.5 on the rear. It just chews through tires with aggressive driving. Idk if this is just a fluke with my car or just a “pay to play” kind of thing. I’m thinking maybe tune it back to stock power levels to ease the tire wear as well.
The removal of the tune would certainly help in reducing the tyre torture and you've probably had it.. a four wheel alignment check comparing it with the front hanging.I presume you have the standard wheels fitted and not aftermarket ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:45 AM   #5
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The removal of the tune would certainly help in reducing the tyre torture and you've probably had it.. a four wheel alignment check comparing it with the front hanging.I presume you have the standard wheels fitted and not aftermarket ones.
Standard wheels. And yes they used a 4 wheel alignment machine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Michelin SS or PS4S tyres used? I'm thinking the 4 door GC may have longer wheelbase than the 2 door but I may be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:02 AM   #7
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Michelin SS or PS4S tyres used? I'm thinking the 4 door GC may have longer wheelbase than the 2 door but I may be wrong.
Definitely a larger car. I’ve been through all the tire models trying to find a solution lmao. SS, cup 2’s, now I’m using Bridgestone re-something. I’m thinking it has to do with the power, I’ll tone it down tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

If they can't get it in spec on stock suspension, then something is bent. Was the car ever hit? Take it to another shop to confirm it can not be put in spec. I'm on KW HAS and pretty low, my rear camber is within spec. No unusual tire wear. GL
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
If they can't get it in spec on stock suspension, then something is bent. Was the car ever hit? Take it to another shop to confirm it can not be put in spec. I'm on KW HAS and pretty low, my rear camber is within spec. No unusual tire wear. GL
I’ll try another shop. The car was never hit, could bushings be bad or something? It has 75k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #10
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Quote:
I’ll try another shop. The car was never hit, could bushings be bad or something? It has 75k miles on it.
Yes absolutely the bushings could be worn causing it. You need a good shop to check for any play in the arms and check for camber. I don't have my alignment specs on hand as I am at work, but no issues with rear alignment. If you are going through rear tires every year something is definitely wrong.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Please note that camber is not the only thing that affects rear inner tire wear. Toe settings will also wear out the inside edge. Toe settings that cause inside wear can also cause excessive wear across most of the thread width because the tire is not tracking "straight" but rather at too much of an angle. -1.5 degrees of camber is not excessive btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Please note that camber is not the only thing that affects rear inner tire wear. Toe settings will also wear out the inside edge. Toe settings that cause inside wear can also cause excessive wear across most of the thread width because the tire is not tracking "straight" but rather at too much of an angle. -1.5 degrees of camber is not excessive btw.
You are correct, toe can definitely effect inside tire wear, regardless of suspension mods on this car, they should be able to get toe in spec. Improper toe set will also cause feathering on the tire treads. If he went to a decent shop toe should not be an issue. OP can you post your last alignment printout and or pics of the tires?

Last edited by SapphireM5; 10-18-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are correct, toe can definitely effect inside tire wear, regardless of suspension mods on this car, they should be able to get toe in spec. Improper toe set will also cause feathering on the tire treads. If he went to a decent shop toe should not be an issue. OP can you post your last alignment printout and or pics of the tires?
Shop did not have printer hooked up lol. Toe was spot on at 0. Left rear camber adjustment was maxed at -1.4° right rear was maxed at -2-4°. I will get pictures tonight. My issue is that any negative camber kills straightline traction, especially when launched from a stop. With an independent rear suspension, each wheel collapses under load and increases negative camber which equals less of a tire to asphalt contact patch. I don’t feel like chasing a bad bushing, I might just have my fab shop make up adjustable control arms so I can get the tires exactly where I want.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #14
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Shop did not have printer hooked up lol. Toe was spot on at 0. Left rear camber adjustment was maxed at -1.4° right rear was maxed at -2-4°. I will get pictures tonight. My issue is that any negative camber kills straightline traction, especially when launched from a stop. With an independent rear suspension, each wheel collapses under load and increases negative camber which equals less of a tire to asphalt contact patch. I don’t feel like chasing a bad bushing, I might just have my fab shop make up adjustable control arms so I can get the tires exactly where I want.
Appreciate 0