GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Autotecknic carbon fiber competition style spoiler

I picked up this spoiler from iND last week and I cannot for the life of me get this thing mounted without gaps in the corners, the front lip, and rear lip. They recommended beta link for the install but I called autotecknic and they said double sided tape would be fine. I have mounted this twice so far and have taken it off twice so far. Beta link wouldn't eliminate gaps. The problem is it won't sit flush with the trunk lid, no matter where I move the actual spoiler to. Has anyone had any luck with this spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Do you mean on the left and right sides it doesn't reach the ends of the trunk? I have the m-perf spoiler and it's the same.
      09-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionide View Post
Do you mean on the left and right sides it doesn't reach the ends of the trunk? I have the m-perf spoiler and it's the same.
Not quite. I mean the actual ends of the spoiler don't sit flush with the trunk lid. Besides that gap, there are also gaps between the rear of the spoiler and the trunk lid. I cannot get it to sit flush.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Aftermarket exterior parts are a gamble from one unit to the next even amongst reputable brands. Some simply do not fit and nothing you do will help it.

OEM is really the only sure way forward but you may need to exchange or modify everything else to make it fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Aftermarket exterior parts are a gamble from one unit to the next even amongst reputable brands. Some simply do not fit and nothing you do will help it.

OEM is really the only sure way forward but you may need to exchange or modify everything else to make it fit.
Appreciate your advice. I actually ended up getting rid of it and bought the m performance carbon fiber spoiler. Installed it today and it fits like a glove. I also tried some aftermarket carbon fiber mirror caps that didn't fit. Returned those too and bought the OEM caps. Lesson learned about buying aftermarket. I know a lot of people have luck with it but I am 0-2 so far.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
Appreciate your advice. I actually ended up getting rid of it and bought the m performance carbon fiber spoiler. Installed it today and it fits like a glove. I also tried some aftermarket carbon fiber mirror caps that didn't fit. Returned those too and bought the OEM caps. Lesson learned about buying aftermarket. I know a lot of people have luck with it but I am 0-2 so far.
It's a crapshoot. I for instance have reiger tuning sideskirts and they fit perfectly. I tried some china mirror caps and the fitment was so shit I couldn't even install them. I have a diffuser from carbonwurks that fits 9/10 or so
      09-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Geez3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have the Autotechnic Comp rear spoiler as well. Driver side of the spoilers edge is lifted a 2mm of the trunk lid.

I'm just going to fill the gap with some black RTV silicone.

The carbon and finish of the spoiler are great, but it's the little things. All the other aero I have is MP and no problems.
Appreciate 0