BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, F15, F30

Which Fuel to Run in Our Diesel's?

Ran across this post and was wondering what I should fuel up with.

I have #3 easily accessable and I have a biodiesel station that isn't too far either.

Let me know your thoughts.

Quote:
The sticker at the pump in Texas says "UP to 5%". My problem is i can't rely on there being any as it says up to. I wish it was guaranteed to have some biodiesel content to increase its lubricity and cetane rating...
The way I read the labeling rules, you can count on such a pump actually dispensing biodiesel. Remember that biodiesel of even as low as 1% is quite effective in improving fuel lubricity.

Here is the wording on the labeling regulations (bolded and/or italicized by me for emphasis):
(e) Notice required on storage tank and retail pump.

(1) A notice must be posted in a conspicuous location on each storage tank and retail pump from which biodiesel or renewable diesel is stored or sold. The notice must identify the product by the common industry or commercial name. For example, B100 for biodiesel.

(2) A notice must be posted in a conspicuous location on each storage tank located outside the bulk terminal/transfer system and retail pump from which a blend product is stored or sold from the time that the water, fuel grade ethanol, biodiesel, or renewable diesel is first blended with taxable petroleum based diesel fuel until the blended product is sold to the ultimate consumer. The notice must identify the blended product by the common industry or commercial name, and state the volume percentage (rounded to the nearest whole percentage) of water, fuel grade ethanol, biodiesel, or renewable diesel that is blended with petroleum diesel fuel. For example, "B5 - 5.0% Biodiesel", similar wording, for a 5.0% biodiesel blend.

(f) As an alternative to subsections (d) and (e) of this section, a dealer dispensing a biodiesel blend or renewable diesel blend at a retail location to the ultimate consumer may elect to identify on the storage tank, retail pump and sales invoice the blended product sold in the following manner:

(1) blends containing a total percentage of up to 5.0% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume may be identified as "Contains Up To 5.0% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel" or similar wording. Each component that is biodiesel or renewable diesel is added together to determine the total percentage. The sales invoice must list the basis for collecting the state tax as though the blended product sold is a 5.0% blend. For example, a blended product that contains 2.0% biodiesel and 2.0% renewable diesel has a total blend percentage of 4.0% and may be identified on the retail pump as "Contains Up To 5.0% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel", or similar wording, and identified on the sales invoice with the statement "Contains up to 5.0% biodiesel or renewable diesel - state diesel tax $0.19 per gallon", or similar wording;

(2) blends containing a total percentage greater than 5.0% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume but no more than 10% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume may be identified as "Contains Up To 10% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel" or similar wording. Each component that is biodiesel and renewable diesel is added together to determine the total percentage. The sales invoice must list the basis for collecting the state tax as though the blended product sold is a 10% blend. For example, a blend that contains 2.0% biodiesel and 5.0% renewable diesel has a total blend of 7.0% and may be identified on the retail pump as "Contains Up To 10% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel", or similar wording, and identified on the sales invoice with the statement "Contains up to 10% biodiesel or renewable diesel - state diesel tax $0.18 per gallon", or similar wording;

(3) blends containing a total percentage greater than 10% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume but no more than 15% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume may be identified as "Contains Up To 15% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel" or similar wording. Each component that is biodiesel and renewable diesel is added together to determine the total percentage. The sales invoice must list the basis for collecting the state tax as though the blended product sold is a 15% blend. For example, a blend that contains 5.0% biodiesel and 7.0% renewable diesel has a total blend of 12% and may be identified on the retail pump as "Contains Up To 15% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel", or similar wording, and identified on the sales invoice with the statement "Contains up to 15% biodiesel or renewable diesel - state diesel tax $0.17 per gallon", or similar wording;

(4) blends containing a total percentage greater than 15% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume but no more than 20% biodiesel or renewable diesel by volume may be identified as "Contains Up To 20% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel" or similar wording. Each component that is biodiesel and renewable diesel is added together to determine the total percentage. The sales invoice must list the basis for collecting the state tax as though the blended product sold is a 20% blend. For example, a blend that contains 8.0% biodiesel and 8.0% renewable diesel has a total blend of 16% and may be identified on the retail pump as "Contains Up To 20% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel", or similar wording, and identified on the sales invoice with the statement "Contains up to 20% biodiesel or renewable diesel - state diesel tax $0.16 per gallon", or similar wording;
link to the reg (http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tl oc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=34&pt=1&ch=3&rl=443)

I am going to follow up with Chevron to see if my assumption is correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

I ran diesels from 1993 to 2017.

Diesels need clean fuel, clean air and clean oil. They will lasts hundreds of thousands of miles if you do those three things.

The surest way to spend thousands of $ is to experiment with non approved fuel. D2 is blended by region with D1 to prevent jelling.

Buy fuel from a place that has a lot of turnover. Change your fuel filter annually or on miles. Did you know diesel fuel can support the growth of alge? Well actually it's the water.

Here is the best lubricity adder by test, as of 2 years ago.

Opti-lube

https://opti-lube.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...iAAEgK80PD_BwE
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post

Diesels need clean fuel, clean air and clean oil. They will lasts hundreds of thousands of miles if you do those three things.

The surest way to spend thousands of $ is to experiment with non approved fuel. D2 is blended by region with D1 to prevent jelling.

Buy fuel from a place that has a lot of turnover. Change your fuel filter annually or on miles. Did you know diesel fuel can support the growth of alge? Well actually it's the water.

Opti-lube

Thanks for the post and the advice. I read that BMW doesn't recommend using and additives in our cars, are people using it on modern cars with positive results?

The diesel near my house has this fuel, "Contains Up To 15% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel". We live in an area where all the diesel stations have good turn over.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Up to 5% is ok, the fuel cap says B7% is the allowed maximum limit. However in extreme circumstances you can run 15% if there’s only high biodiesel blend is available (very notorious in the northeastern states to run B20% only) for a limited amount of time (one tank limit). I was stuck in a sticky situation while visiting New Hampshire and most of the diesel pumps has B10% or greater, fortunately I filled up in Albany, New York ran to Manchester, New Hampshire and return to Albany without pumping a drop of in New Hampshire 350+ mile round trip. It’s tough to find low Biodiesel blends, Im my home state all pumps are B 5% however I’m noticing in Texas (I travel a lot there) it’s becoming more common to see pumps with B10%, another reason to delete the egr and DPF in the near/far future.
Appreciate 1
Cheche10.00
      09-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Fill up in Canada! Biodiesel isn't very common here.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I use Costco diesel and some times Shell, both with "up to 5%" of biodiesel in them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
Quote:

Opti-lube

Thanks for the post and the advice. I read that BMW doesn't recommend using and additives in our cars, are people using it on modern cars with positive results?

The diesel near my house has this fuel, "Contains Up To 15% Biodiesel or Renewable Diesel". We live in an area where all the diesel stations have good turn over.
You're welcome.

I ran it in an older diesel motor home. The problem with with ULSD is that the spec is a bit "dry". That is, lubricity is low without the sulphur. Manufacturers were slow to make the fuel pumps with durable materials. Since diesel fuel injector pump are very pricey I view it as insurance. BMW is concerned with EGR and DPF reliability.

Does the BMW diesel have fuel heaters? I don't read of problems on these forums with durability.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Up to 5% is ok, the fuel cap says B7% is the allowed maximum limit. However in extreme circumstances you can run 15% if there's only high biodiesel blend is available (very notorious in the northeastern states to run B20% only) for a limited amount of time (one tank limit)..... It's tough to find low Biodiesel blends, Im my home state all pumps are B 5% however I'm noticing in Texas (I travel a lot there) it's becoming more common to see pumps with B10%, another reason to delete the egr and DPF in the near/far future.
The delete should give better reliability. OTR diesels have had serious issues with the EGR.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome.

I ran it in an older diesel motor home. The problem with with ULSD is that the spec is a bit "dry". That is, lubricity is low without the sulphur. Manufacturers were slow to make the fuel pumps with durable materials. Since diesel fuel injector pump are very pricey I view it as insurance. BMW is concerned with EGR and DPF reliability.

Does the BMW diesel have fuel heaters? I don't read of problems on these forums with durability.
Which opti-lube do you recommend I purchase?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
Quote:
You're welcome.

Which opti-lube do you recommend I purchase?
My choice would be XPD based on lubricity and anti jell properties.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

I noticed several of the Exxon/Mobil stations near me are now carrying "Synergy Diesel Efficient" branded diesel:
https://www.exxon.com/en/synergy-die...ient-passenger

I have been unable to find a datasheet. Does anyone know anything about it?

Price doesn't seem to be any higher than any of the other stations in the area.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
I noticed several of the Exxon/Mobil stations near me are now carrying "Synergy Diesel Efficient" branded diesel:
https://www.exxon.com/en/synergy-die...ient-passenger

I have been unable to find a datasheet. Does anyone know anything about it?

Price doesn't seem to be any higher than any of the other stations in the area.
https://www.exxon.com/en/stations-and-fuel

It's a detergent additive package. They also claim additional lubricity,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Thanks, I was looking for something more beyond the marketing material though. At least cetane rating?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

https://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntA...;docFormat=PDF

I can't find a cetane rating. The claim is 2% increase in fuel mileage, however, it has been shown that the driver and his technique account for 20% of fuel mileage all else being equal. Exxon is doing to diesel what top tier is to gasoline.

I have stopped buying fuel from no name stations, the pay at the pump apps give a discount plus it protects my credit card number.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

BTW, there is already a TopTier standard for diesel, but very few retailers participate: https://www.toptiergas.com/toptier_diesel_fuel/

Maybe ExxonMobil will pursue it now?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:00 AM   #16
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep

I have a pacific pride station nearby. Have any of you ever used it before?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

I run Opti-Lube summer blend so far, happy with results around 1-2mpg improvement
I also tried XPD in several tanks and saw 3-4mpg improvement, which seems really high, so maybe it was the driving or brand of fuel, or something else.

I have the winter formula on standby once they weather cools down and see how that does,

We have winter diesel here that’s good to about -5F but it does get below -20F very easily
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
I run Opti-Lube summer blend so far, happy with results around 1-2mpg improvement
I also tried XPD in several tanks and saw 3-4mpg improvement, which seems really high, so maybe it was the driving or brand of fuel, or something else.

I have the winter formula on standby once they weather cools down and see how that does,

We have winter diesel here that's good to about -5F but it does get below -20F very easily
My experience was that the increase in fuel mileage about paid for the additive, with the other improvements (lubricity, etc.) for free.
Appreciate 0