BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
MM1984
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Strange faint whistle at specific speed range

Please let me know if anyone has had anything similar:

My X5M is making a strange faint whistle between 70mph to 85mph. It is most pronounced when I accelerate to 85 and then take my foot off the accelerator. It doesn't matter if the climate control is on or off. The sound can most clearly be heard in the front center of the cabin. I took a senior service tech for a ride along and he was able to hear and consistently reproduce the sound, although he had no idea what it could be. I thought it was only on deceleration from 85 to 70 but he could reproduce the sound when maintaining speed in this range.

I got the car back from service yesterday and they thought they fixed it by tightening something that was loose in the air intake. That didn't fix it unfortunately.

I'm thinking potentially the weather stripping that was installed on part of the passenger side of the hood as part of my Dinan S1 could be the culprit.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

I'll be paying attention to this thread because I could've sworn I heard something once but it went away.
      08-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
MM1984
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Here's the piece I'm referencing. This a photo from Dinan's install guide. It's the grey piece running halfway down the engine bay / front quarter panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Yes! It's coming from the stupid side view mirrors. It drove me crazy at first. Just put your hand in the gap between the car and the mirror and it'll stop. Really silly design. Looks amazing though. 🤪