ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X5M

Some issues with M4

So I finally got myself an M4. It's 2015 41k miles, exec. pkg.

I got a few issues to sort out:

1) Seat emblems are cosmetically cracked and they also have a low pitch whine. Any solutions? So far I've seen those emblems go for $400 or so. Any cheaper options?

2) Valve Cover Gasket. Where should I buy one? Does anyone have a part #?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
zohaibkhawaja
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Congrats on the purchase. I had my cracked seatback emblems replaced under warranty but they still make the low pitched noise so I assume it's normal. I'm not sure about your options outside of warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasavguy View Post
So I finally got myself an M4. It's 2015 41k miles, exec. pkg.

I got a few issues to sort out:

1) Seat emblems are cosmetically cracked and they also have a low pitch whine. Any solutions? So far I've seen those emblems go for $400 or so. Any cheaper options?

2) Valve Cover Gasket. Where should I buy one? Does anyone have a part #?

The solution is the black one, but the low pitch whine still exists.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #4
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!

So I assume it's totally normal for the emblems to whine?

I am on an extended warranty through 3rd party but they don't cover any pre-existing issues.

What about the valve gasket leak?

Also, what options do I have for exhaust?

And what are the options to protect the bumper/tires? The roads in my area (rural Texas) are pretty awful for a low-profile sport-couple ha

Last edited by yasavguy; 07-30-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Thanks guys!

So I assume it's totally normal for the emblems to whine?

I am on an extended warranty through 3rd party but they don't cover any pre-existing issues.

What about the valve gasket leak?

Also, what options do I have for exhaust?

And what are the options to protect the bumper/tires? The roads in my area (rural Texas) are pretty awful for a low-profile sport-couple ha
I’m not sure about the valve gasket leak.

Exhaust there are a bunch. Remus and BMW M PERFORMANCE Exhaust come to mind.

Bumper, just drive carefully. If you’re gonna scrape, you’re gonna scrape. You can put on a cheap eBay lip, but that will get wrecked too if you’re not careful.

For tires, I like to have discount tire/America tire road hazard warranty. You can buy it for tires that you didn’t buy there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
rcharles30
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir Orange

The emblems and valve cover should be covered under warranty up to 50K? I bought my M4 used and they swapped the emblems for me. Was still less then 50k miles. I am over 50k now and also have the valve cover leak. Actually in the process of changing it now. Not covered. My dealer wanted $3400 to replace. I thought their 50k mile warranty was good regardless of ownership?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharles30 View Post
The emblems and valve cover should be covered under warranty up to 50K? I bought my M4 used and they swapped the emblems for me. Was still less then 50k miles. I am over 50k now and also have the valve cover leak. Actually in the process of changing it now. Not covered. My dealer wanted $3400 to replace. I thought their 50k mile warranty was good regardless of ownership?
It's 4 years or 50k miles. My car's factory warranty expired in March of this year, and I only bought it a week ago.

Dealership's prices are outrageous. I bought the part for under $60 online and will have a local shop replace mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
rcharles30
Rep

Quote:
It's 4 years or 50k miles. My car's factory warranty expired in March of this year, and I only bought it a week ago.

Dealership's prices are outrageous. I bought the part for under $60 online and will have a local shop replace mine.
Just replaced mine yesterday. So far so good but won’t be satisfied until I get a couple of heat cycles through it. Definitely was a pain but not $3400 worth. Glad I did it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharles30 View Post
Just replaced mine yesterday. So far so good but won’t be satisfied until I get a couple of heat cycles through it. Definitely was a pain but not $3400 worth. Glad I did it myself.
That's awesome!

How many hours did it take you? I've already ordered the gasket, most likely will tackle it next weekend at my friend's shop. Any tips? Anything specific I should watch out for?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
rcharles30
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome!

How many hours did it take you? I've already ordered the gasket, most likely will tackle it next weekend at my friend's shop. Any tips? Anything specific I should watch out for?
Follow the procedure for letting it cool down enough to let the fuel lines depressurize and keep a rag under when disconnecting. If you don’t disconnect the (-) side of the battery, and someone opens the door, the fuel lines will re-pressurize. Take a picture of where all the wires are run and where the clip go for when you put them back. Hardest part for me was getting the fuel rail mounting bolts out because they are under the inter cooler. Was able to lift it up enough to get under.
Appreciate 0