BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I thought rainwater was soft???

A car in line next to me at the dealer this AM clearly was ceramic coated, which is the way I’m going when I pick up a 2019 X5.

But his car was dark blue and mine is jet black and his looked as bad as mine did water spot wise.

Its been like Monsoon season here in the Northeast trying to keep a black car spotless. It rains every day usually right after I quick wax it! Thats a given

So here is my routine: I first gave it two coats of Menzerna powerlock and two coats of PS2 carnauba wax. I don’t go through auto washes. So the wax should stay on for at least several weeks.

But after it rains I squeegee the water off followed by using either Blackfire or Optima to remove the water spots.
Why does Rain (soft water) leave water spots especially if I did not get a chance to squeegee it off before the sun dried the car.

What else could I be using from the products I already use?
I looked at those Spotless water machines but having to renew the charging medium is way to expensive as it works out to like $10 a wash. I also rent and park in driveway and i cant lug that unit into the basement each time.

Any suggestions how or what product to lessen the water spots?
Thanks
      05-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

rain drops pickup particles from the upper atmosphere; such as volcanic ash, soot, pollution from power plans, planes, cars, ships and small amounts of space dust that continuously accumulates as earth travels thru space.

the rain also pools dust and soot thats already on the car, your waxing routine makes it worse by having a statistically charged and oily layer on the clear coat.

don't use natural carnauba wax, it doesn't last and is too oily, i would use a fully synthetic one: i had good luck with Meguiar's NXT 2.0
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      05-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
rain drops pickup particles from the upper atmosphere; such as volcanic ash, soot, pollution from power plans, planes, cars, ships and small amounts of space dust that continuously accumulates as earth travels thru space.

the rain also pools dust and soot thats already on the car, your waxing routine makes it worse by having a statistically charged and oily layer on the clear coat.

don't use natural carnauba wax, it doesn't last and is too oily, i would use a fully synthetic one: i had good luck with Meguiar's NXT 2.0
Thanks. All you say makes sense. Also frustrating for me is once roads are wet they throw up filthy spray. Its like I’ve been driving around in a cement pit!. I’ll try the McGuires.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ya that synthetic McGuires stuff is not for me. Reminds me of Nuskin. Great stuff. Lasts 6 months but does not give that deep deep gloss I need for my Jet black finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Collinite is what I use. This stuff works great.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

Do you wash it with soft water? I wash and rinse my vehicles with soft water then wipe dry with microfiber towels. Soft water will spot without a wipe down.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarden View Post
Collinite is what I use. This stuff works great.
Yes on the protection and beading but the reviews on Amazon are not telling me the wet look I'm after. Here is one comment:

On a side note, if your looking for your paint to pop while using this stuff, you may want to look elsewhere. While the protection is second to none, it will not provide, IN MY OPINION, a deep, wet shine. Might I suggest using 845 as a topper over Meguiar's NXT 2.0 or Blackfire Wet Diamond. I'd say on its own, it provides more of a soft glow than a deep shine.

Last edited by expidia; 05-23-2019 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post
Do you wash it with soft water? I wash and rinse my vehicles with soft water then wipe dry with microfiber towels. Soft water will spot without a wipe down.
Thanks on the soft water still spots. Good to know. I squeegee the water off quickly followed buy a quick detail with Blackfire. This gives me the wet look but then it rains so much around here lately.

Like I said even a ceramic coating water spots, but its the only way I'm going to go from now on with a dark color.

I just can't get myself to go for white since I have both currently and its night and day on the depth of the look. No question white is almost effortless to look great but just no depth. With black what I really need is garage

Look at the difference IMO between black and white as to POP!
Attached Images

05-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

The spots are a result of the contaminants in the air, mentioned above, combined with the water when it's landing on the car the sun evaporates the moisture from it which leaves you with the actual spots/stains. The difference between a coated (or even well sealed) car and one without (or just a basic wax of sorts) is that they can be removed Much easier from the treated vehicle rather than being extremely stubborn or semi-permanent.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
The spots are a result of the contaminants in the air, mentioned above, combined with the water when it's landing on the car the sun evaporates the moisture from it which leaves you with the actual spots/stains. The difference between a coated (or even well sealed) car and one without (or just a basic wax of sorts) is that they can be removed Much easier from the treated vehicle rather than being extremely stubborn or semi-permanent.
This is why I’m going the ceramic route for my upcoming upgrade. Those rain spots from a few days ago were really nasty to get off even though they were on top of my recent detailing stuff.
      05-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post
Thanks on the soft water still spots. Good to know. I squeegee the water off quickly followed buy a quick detail with Blackfire. This gives me the wet look but then it rains so much around here lately.

Like I said even a ceramic coating water spots, but its the only way I'm going to go from now on with a dark color.

I just can't get myself to go for white since I have both currently and its night and day on the depth of the look. No question white is almost effortless to look great but just no depth. With black what I really need is garage

Look at the difference IMO between black and white as to POP!
Fine looking vehicles. The soft water spot are the residual sodium.

Black looks very nice but a pain because you can see every speck.

Can't wait till my carport get built, not good on the finish to wash in the sun. Nice looking cars need a weekly bath.
Appreciate 0