05-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Eskaliya
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15 30d

Lack of Torque

Hi guys

I own a BMW X5 f15 30d

When driving some times it seem like it has a lot of torque and picks up speed effortlessly and then sometimes it feels like you have to properly give it some to go anywhere.....any clues???

Could it be the transfer case is on its way out ???

Many thanks in advance
      05-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

What driving mode you in?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I doubt the transfer case is the culprit, it just transfers the power to both back and front axles, and you would notice an issue all the time.
An issue with the transmission slipping under certain conditions would be more likely. But if the clutch was slipping, you should be noticing the RPMs increasing too fast related to the speed you are picking up.

I would also check what driving mode you are in, as turboawd suggested, and see if you notice the differences when switching between the different modes.

Or; Even with all modern tech, weather will make a difference due to the density of the air, (although less impact with turbo charged vehicles). Any chance you have had big swings in the weather lately, and you are comparing driving during humid hot days, vs cold and crisp air nights?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Eskaliya
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I doubt the transfer case is the culprit, it just transfers the power to both back and front axles, and you would notice an issue all the time.
An issue with the transmission slipping under certain conditions would be more likely. But if the clutch was slipping, you should be noticing the RPMs increasing too fast related to the speed you are picking up.

I would also check what driving mode you are in, as turboawd suggested, and see if you notice the differences when switching between the different modOr; Even with all modern tech, weather will make a difference due to the density of the air, (although less impact with turbo charged vehicles). Any chance you have had big swings in the weather lately, and you are comparing driving during humid hot days, vs cold and crisp air nights?
Hi thanks for the reply.

I drive the car usually in comfort mode.

I don't think it's nothing to do with the weather as it happens sometimes in the same day. Torquey sometimes and then sluggish another. 🧐
      05-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
Eskaliya
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post

I would also check what driving mode you are in, as turboawd suggested, and see if you notice the differences when switching between the different modes.

Or; Even with all modern tech, weather will make a difference due to the density of the air, (although less impact with turbo charged vehicles). Any chance you have had big swings in the weather lately, and you are comparing driving during humid hot days, vs cold and crisp air nights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Comfort mode mostly 🧐
      05-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskaliya View Post
Comfort mode mostly 🧐
my 2 cents, the feeling of acceleration force is different if you drive alone (light load) compared to a full load of people and cargo ! Other factors includes the actual gear you are in, the existing speed, road inclination.... before you rev up....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Hi thanks for the reply.

I drive the car usually in comfort mode.

I don't think it's nothing to do with the weather as it happens sometimes in the same day. Torquey sometimes and then sluggish another. 🧐
I suggest a dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Comfort mode mostly 🧐
ECU can limit tq for numerous reasons. You would be surprised how much engine parameters manipulations happen on the fly and how it influences power.

drive mode, ambient temperature, current gear, engine temp, fuel quality, heat soak etc. can all affect the power.

What you are experiencing might be engine heat soak.
Appreciate 0