BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
frenchie1013
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sedan

Best 19" non run flat summer tires

As the title suggests, it's time to get rid of the run flats now if they're worn down need help choosing a good summer tires I have a separate winter tires. What is everybody using as I am not finding many options in this size.

2014 X5 50i
BMS stage 1, Dinan intake, F85 Knee Bolsters
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

DWS 06s are pretty much the best option of all offerings.
Having the 19” wheels affords you the widest amount of choices, good and bad.
Use the search function in this forum and you’ll find this subject has been one of the most discussed over time.
      05-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
DWS people definitely can't read. Don't be like one of them, do not buy DWS tyres.
      05-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
DWS people definitely can't read. Don't be like one of them, do not buy DWS tyres.
Dang. I thought i could read...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Although I do not read well, I still like my DWS (all season not summer) after 18 months. May be not the best but still best bang for the buck for daily driver.
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      05-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

I ran Duelers when I was on 19”. I liked them better than the scorpion’s but they were the only two I ever tried on 19”.
      05-16-2019, 02:06 AM   #7
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
I ran Duelers when I was on 19”. I liked them better than the scorpion’s but they were the only two I ever tried on 19”.
How's the traction of Duelers on wet roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

What are the best 20" summer tires, run flat or otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarden View Post
How's the traction of Duelers on wet roads?
I never had any issues with wet traction on the Duelers. Dry traction was awesome, they never complained once, unlike The Pirelli’s which didn’t like to be pushed hard into corners at all.

Mine did develop a slight vibration at about 45 mph when about 3/4 worn, only noticeable on very smooth, freshly paved roads, but I think that had more to do with how hard I pushed them than anything with the manufacture of the tires.
      05-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #10
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
Michelin, then Conti.
      05-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
ed116
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Michelin, then Conti.
every set of michelin has warn out prematurely for me i think conti is pretty good!

have not tried pirellis but have heard they are good as well
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie1013 View Post
As the title suggests, it's time to get rid of the run flats now if they're worn down need help choosing a good summer tires I have a separate winter tires. What is everybody using as I am not finding many options in this size.
Did you peruse the www.TireRack.com website...a quick look shows approx 46 non-runflat selections in 19" tires for the F15 X5. I'm not sure if you're staggered or not...but you can enter your info to narrow down the information on their site.

The good thing about their site is that the info is there to read up on...you don't have to buy from them...you can use that info to shop locally...with many shops like DiscountTire/America's Tire price matching.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-17-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed116 View Post
every set of michelin has warn out prematurely for me i think conti is pretty good!

have not tried pirellis but have heard they are good as well
Michelins are worn out quickly, but they are soft and quiet. Pirellis are loud and hard, and worn out quickly as well. Recently switched to Conti SportContact - they are quiet, but bouncy. Will see how they are wear wise.
      05-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #14
ed116
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Michelins are worn out quickly, but they are soft and quiet. Pirellis are loud and hard, and worn out quickly as well. Recently switched to Conti SportContact - they are quiet, but bouncy. Will see how they are wear wise.
to be fair most tires are quiet in the x5 because it has great sound isolation well compared to other cars at least
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
I have been reading reviews of 20" tires on tirerack.com, in expectation to order a set when my new wheels comes in, and a few things stand out in the reviews, from my observations and personal opinion.
  • Read reviews, and not just the first page...
  • Any summer specific only tire, will often wear faster than A/S.
  • Less expensive tires seems to get more complaints about noise.
  • Less expensive tires might be great in the beginning, but might get noisier the more worn down they are.
  • Less expensive tires sometimes are harder to balance.
  • Non RF tires have different style of sidewalls. A tire that get gets great reviews for comfort, others might feel is giving poor feedback from the road, and is affecting handling.
  • Less expensive tires sometimes wear uneven and get cupping when they get older, and needs replacement despite having lots of tread left. But some reviews of more expensive tires, says the same thing..
  • Just because a tire is more expensive, it doesn't mean it will last longer, might actually just have great traction in wet conditions etc., but wear down faster than a less expensive tire.
  • Specific summer tires only have some limitations that should be remembered.
    This is copied from Tirerack.com
    Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
  • So if you use summer specific tires, and live in a place where you get snow, you will also need snow tires and you will need to use them for a longer time than if you have A/S tires for summer use.

For the value, the DWS seems to rank really high, but there are some people who complain about them in the long run.
I'm still trying to decided between Contis and Michelin, though I'm leaning towards Michelin, due to how much I like them in my winter set up.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #16
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
Personally I've been running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric on all my cars for the last few years, using the 20" Asymmetric 3 SUV now on my 35i, great grip in dry and wet, fairly quiet and last well too....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #17
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
for the value, the dws seems to rank really high, but there are some people who complain about them in the long run.
dws is not a summer tire.
      05-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dws is not a summer tire.
Well, one more point I should have thought of making, so lets try this..

True, it is not a summer use only tire, but OP asked for a summer tire, not a summer use only tire. The Extremecontact Sport DWS as an example, is designated as an an "Ultra High Performance All-Season", which include summer use, and I chose to be open to him considering an A/S tire in the high performance group to use as a summer tire.

Myself I'm getting an performance A/S to use for summer tires, just because of the possible cold temperature issues with summer use only tires, and a personal preference of only using winter tires once the snow has arrived.

OP mentioned that he will be using winter tires, so we know he lives in a climate with colder freezing temperatures for part of the year.
OP is asking about 19" tires which is not a performance tire size for an X5, so this tells me this is possibly a family car where comfort is valued above handling, so using a summer only specific tire might not be what OP meant.
We will have to wait for his reply, to see. In the meanwhile, I gave what I believe is the appropriate suggestions for things to consider.

On a summer time use only car, I would never run A/S tires, however for a vehicle that might see freezing temps before the winter tires are mounted, an performance A/S is a better choice to use as "summer" tires.

I would not suggest this for a pure performance car, but this is an X5 we are talking about.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True, it is not a summer use only tire, but OP asked for a summer tire, not a summer use only
Quote:
need help choosing a good summer tires I have a separate winter tires.
Told ya - DWS people can't read.
Appreciate 1
geedup35216.00
      05-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #20
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP, are you looking for an summer time use only tire, or would an A/S tire work for you as a summer tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #21
frenchie1013
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sedan

Quote:
Quote:
OP, are you looking for an summer time use only tire, or would an A/S tire work for you as a summer tire?
I'm just looking at summer tires. I have dedicated winter tires.

2014 X5 50i
BMS stage 1, Dinan intake, F85 Knee Bolsters
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #22
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just looking at summer tires. I have dedicated winter tires.
As I mentioned above, I have dedicated winter tires also, but I still plan to run high performance A/S for summer tires, due to the cold weather issues with summer only tires. I know there will be times when it hits below 40 and I won't have the winter tires installed yet, and also this being an SUV, that I'm not running on a track etc.

For summer use only tires, I reiterate the same as others said, you could read reviews on tirerack.com
Appreciate 0