BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
RakoNYC
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d 2016

Parts - counterfeit or real - need help

Hi all -

I have a 2016 X5 Diesel, and just last week had the front trim molding passenger side taken off the car while in a garage at the Yankees game. I suspect it was there and think it was removal since there's zero impact or damage to the surrounding area.

Thoroughly annoyed I ordered the part (51-11-7-325-396) from BMWPartSource.com which is ostensibly connected to Faulkner BMW. I assumed since this was a purported dealer that this was OEM.

Order placed on Monday, arrives Friday.

Open the UPS shipping box and I immediately get suspicious:

a) Box is Orange and cardboard (versus white and gray with BMW roundel)
b) Label has BMWPartSource called out as vendor by manufacturer
c) BMW label looks like its a laser printer job
d) Part doesn't clip into the bumper (hooks seem small on the square, and there's nothing on the 'blade' to hold it in

So my questions to the group:
1) If you've bought external OEM parts what has the packaging looked like?
2) Has anyone had similar experience with other vendors? With BMWPartSource.com?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yio...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rYC...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bux...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by RakoNYC; 05-11-2019 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Images
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Does it show BMW embossed in the back of the plastic anywhere?
BMW OEM parts usually have the roundel and part#'s embossed in the plastic, unless too small to fit...
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
BMW OEM parts usually have the roundel and part#'s embossed in the plastic, unless too small to fit...
Thanks for the super-fast response 1norseman!

It does but the quality of the embossing is really bad - you can't read 'BMW'

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tr0...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakoNYC View Post
Quote:

Looks real to me.

I get parts from getbmwparts who is bmw dealer in dc and they don't always come in bmw boxes. Depends if they have to order the part themselves and the size of the item.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Looks real to me.

I get parts from getbmwparts who is bmw dealer in dc and they don't always come in bmw boxes. Depends if they have to order the part themselves and the size of the item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Looks real to me.

Any reason it's not clipping in properly to the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

weird, looks like the production data embossing is fine, but the logo and stamp were made after corrections were done to the mold.
All the scrapes around the embossed logo, and the fact that it doesn't clip in correctly, would make me question it too.
Snap a picture of the complete back of the piece.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

weird, looks like the production data embossing is fine, but the logo and stamp were made after corrections were done to the mold.
All the scrapes around the embossed logo, and the fact that it doesn't clip in correctly, would make me question it too.
Quote:
Quote:

Sure thing!
And TIA
My assumption is that this is aftermarket repro and counterfeit with embossing lack of fasteners that actually work and packaging that is off trademark

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yio...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 x50

Can you take the opposite side trim and compare?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

This wasn't stolen, it falls off. Esp if it was removed and not installed properly. I had the same happen. I ordered a $50 aftermarket replacement that looks almost exactly like oem. Took really long to install and this time I added some adhesive around the edges.

I suspect BMW just relabels this and does not manufacture it and laser marks it. I have ordered over $5000 worth of parts from that dealer w/o any issues.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well you always have to be suspect, if it wasn't from a known seller off the web.

But I guess get bmw parr's is a known channel.

I know what you mean though those yellow boxes are usually a sign of Chinese cardboard. Lots of parts we get from suppliers (I work at an OEM) from China are that yellow color.

And I've bought what I thought where OEM parts for my Audi that had the badge and logo and all that jazz only to find they where 100% counterfeit down to the smallest detail.

Only they had sink and bad quality.

I'll always be skeptical when I order off the web. Especially when the price is to good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm thinking one way to find out in this case, is to ask the seller, and see what they say.
I believe they are a reputable company selling lots of parts, and I would hope they are honest about their products.

Last edited by 1norseman; 05-12-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
I believe one way to find out in this case, is to ask the seller, and see what they say.
I believe they are a reputable company selling lots of parts, and I would hope they are honest about their products.
Quote:
I believe one way to find out in this case, is to ask the seller, and see what they say.
That's the plan tomorrow
Thanks for all the perspective insight and help guys
I didn't pop off the driver side
I am a bit hesitant since I don't want to lose that side (if it was accidental separation)...and car is in garage
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

The BMW warehouse label on the box looks authentic. I actually find that most parts outside of standard maintenance items come in these generic brown boxes. The sicker on top with the orange corner is something from the BMW distribution center but there is always an official BMW part number label somewhere else, do you have this label?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #14
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
The BMW warehouse label on the box looks authentic. I actually find that most parts outside of standard maintenance items come in these generic brown boxes. The sicker on top with the orange corner is something from the BMW distribution center but there is always an official BMW part number label somewhere else, do you have this label?
Quote:
Nope these are the only 2 labels on the box
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Hi all -

I have a 2016 X5 Diesel, and just last week had the front trim molding passenger side taken off the car while in a garage at the Yankees game. I suspect it was there and think it was removal since there's zero impact or damage to the surrounding area.

Thoroughly annoyed I ordered the part (51-11-7-325-396) from BMWPartSource.com which is ostensibly connected to Faulkner BMW. I assumed since this was a purported dealer that this was OEM.

d) Part doesn't clip into the bumper (hooks seem small on the square, and there's nothing on the 'blade' to hold it in

2) Has anyone had similar experience with other vendors? With BMWPartSource.com?

Looks authentic - the labels look fine, looks like it came from the BMW distribution center. I guess the box color is strange but they have tons of different boxes for different parts, sometimes package parts in just what they have there based on the size and other things you ordered.

Are you thinking it's fake based on how the exterior looks or or just the interior that no one will see? It looks exactly like the other parts that come up when I search that part number for example.
It looks like there are only 3 tabs on the part, where are you expecting there to be other fasteners? Could it be that the tabs on your car are broken, and that's why it isn't attaching?

I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of parts from that vendor and never had any problems - it's a dealership after all, you'd be just as likely to receive a fake part from your local dealership. I really doubt they're peddling some fake trim part that only a few people are ordering.

With all that said, if you have problem with fitment just contact them and they'll get you the right part, but as for it being fake or counterfeit, I'm thinking not likely.

gwes
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #16
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Quote:
Hi all -

Looks authentic - the labels look fine, looks like it came from the BMW distribution center. I guess the box color is strange but they have tons of different boxes for different parts, sometimes package parts in just what they have there based on the size and other things you ordered.

Are you thinking it's fake based on how the exterior looks or or just the interior that no one will see? It looks exactly like the other parts that come up when I search that part number for example.
It looks like there are only 3 tabs on the part, where are you expecting there to be other fasteners? Could it be that the tabs on your car are broken, and that's why it isn't attaching?

I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of parts from that vendor and never had any problems - it's a dealership after all, you'd be just as likely to receive a fake part from your local dealership. I really doubt they're peddling some fake trim part that only a few people are ordering.

With all that said, if you have problem with fitment just contact them and they'll get you the right part, but as for it being fake or counterfeit, I'm thinking not likely.

gwes
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all -

gwes
I looked at the bumper and tabs and they all seem intact - what has me most questioning this is the sizing of the tabs on the bumper and the part just seem way way off
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all -

gwes
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all -

gwes
I looked at the bumper and tabs and they all seem intact - what has me most questioning this is the sizing of the tabs on the bumper and the part just seem way way off
Maybe attach a photo of what you are referring to. That may give a better picture of what you are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #18
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
Quote:

I've gotten stuff out of the Nazareth warehouse that is lacking in a traditional white BMW parts label as well. Not sure when that started, but it does occur. Never had an issue with the parts therein.

As to the OPs concerns. Faulkner is "local" to me, and has always run a stand up operation. They're one of my preferred dealers to work with given I have ~a dozen within 2 hrs drive.

Unfortunately with full production facilities in China, there now are a plethora of OE parts being made in China. Its simply the way of globalization. If you're concerned with the bit you got, I would contact Faulkner directly: https://www.faulknerbmw.com/parts/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #19
RakoNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Mon退 View Post
Quote:

I've gotten stuff out of the Nazareth warehouse that is lacking in a traditional white BMW parts label as well. Not sure when that started, but it does occur. Never had an issue with the parts therein.

As to the OPs concerns. Faulkner is "local" to me, and has always run a stand up operation. They're one of my preferred dealers to work with given I have ~a dozen within 2 hrs drive.

Unfortunately with full production facilities in China, there now are a plethora of OE parts being made in China. Its simply the way of globalization. If you're concerned with the bit you got, I would contact Faulkner directly: https://www.faulknerbmw.com/parts/index.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Mon退 View Post
Quote:

Yeah - I am not assuming negative intent - I just think this part fabrication is not good / accurate to actual bumper clips
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
bjluczyk
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
This wasn't stolen, it falls off. Esp if it was removed and not installed properly. I had the same happen. I ordered a $50 aftermarket replacement that looks almost exactly like oem. Took really long to install and this time I added some adhesive around the edges.

I suspect BMW just relabels this and does not manufacture it and laser marks it. I have ordered over $5000 worth of parts from that dealer w/o any issues.
Yeah, I agree. There's a good chance that yours fell off. My driver's side trim piece fell off the day I took delivery of the car. Fortunately, I heard the clatter a couple of blocks from my driveway and I walked back to find the piece in the road. I recall that it was kind of a pain to reattach it. I had to slide my hand up through the shrouding under the bumper and press hard from behind to lock the tabs in.

Unfortunately, I lost the piece again when some debris kicked up while I was driving through a construction zone three years ago. A body shop replaced the front bumper, the parking sensors, and this trim piece. Now, three years of driving later, the original trim piece on the passenger side looks fine, while the replacement piece on the driver side is all tarnished and pitted. This makes me think that the available replacement pieces are not the same quality used in manufacturing. I was planning to stop by the body shop, since the repairs supposedly have a "lifetime" warranty.
Appreciate 0