BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
IloveMs
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Clubman S

Buying our First X5

We were about to buy a 2018 X5 xdrive35i here in Charlotte. Fully loaded, with all the bells and whistles, bang olufsen speakers, heads up, premium package etc. MSRP new was 79k. Selling price was 52k, 14k miles, CPO.

Finished up paperwork. Drove it home. Then they asked for it back a week later. Apparently they weren't suppose to sell it yet. Hadn't finished all of the inspection and paperwork for the CPO. Previous owner did the "trade assist". Being a loyal BMW customer there, they let him into a 2019 X5. He complained of the front collision warning coming on in his driveway. They could never reproduce the problem. He kept bringing it in. The managers and techs drove the car for a week. But gave him the trade-assist anyways. Salesman thought on it was that the previous owner really wanted to get into the 2019 model.

So they went ahead and replaced all of the front cameras and re-inspected it. That's where we're at. We're not bound to the car. So we're free to look at others, while we wait for the "paperwork" to finish. It can take two weeks. I still have a set of keys to that car. And we're going to have to re-fill out all the paperwork. They put us in an 2019 X3 loaner in the meantime.

I was really wanting a V8. But salesman says it's really for hauling and such. And that the 35i was plenty strong. I even test drove one and agreed with the salesman. There's not a lot of opportunity for me to open it up. I'm in stop and go driving 90% of the time.

Then I ran across this vehicle.

https://www.mallofgamini.com/invento...kr6c50h0j84598

The salesman says it was a BMW fleet vehicle and an employee leased it. Low miles. Employee did not bring it in for the regularly scheduled maintenance. So it would never qualify for CPO status. He speculates that the vehicle had been sitting on the lot and forgotten about. Then they realized they had it and are now selling it. It's a 2017, so even with an autoguard warranty it'd take me to I guess 2022-2023? The 2018 would be warrantied till 2025.

My wife is uncertain about the vehicle as it has not had it's oil change and probably had been sitting around. Both cars are at dealers that belong to Hendrick. So he could transfer the car up here to me. But I would be committed to it at that point.

Do I wait around until BMW releases the 2018 to be sold? Or get the 2017 with the V8?

My wife's only request on the car was carplay. They both have Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

Go for the V8 you won't regret it...will put a smile on your face Everytime you hit the gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveMs View Post
We were about to buy a 2018 X5 xdrive35i here in Charlotte. Fully loaded, with all the bells and whistles, bang olufsen speakers, heads up, premium package etc. MSRP new was 79k. Selling price was 52k, 14k miles, CPO.

Finished up paperwork. Drove it home. Then they asked for it back a week later. Apparently they weren't suppose to sell it yet. Hadn't finished all of the inspection and paperwork for the CPO. Previous owner did the "trade assist". Being a loyal BMW customer there, they let him into a 2019 X5. He complained of the front collision warning coming on in his driveway. They could never reproduce the problem. He kept bringing it in. The managers and techs drove the car for a week. But gave him the trade-assist anyways. Salesman thought on it was that the previous owner really wanted to get into the 2019 model.

So they went ahead and replaced all of the front cameras and re-inspected it. That's where we're at. We're not bound to the car. So we're free to look at others, while we wait for the "paperwork" to finish. It can take two weeks. I still have a set of keys to that car. And we're going to have to re-fill out all the paperwork. They put us in an 2019 X3 loaner in the meantime.

I was really wanting a V8. But salesman says it's really for hauling and such. And that the 35i was plenty strong. I even test drove one and agreed with the salesman. There's not a lot of opportunity for me to open it up. I'm in stop and go driving 90% of the time.

Then I ran across this vehicle.

https://www.mallofgamini.com/invento...kr6c50h0j84598

The salesman says it was a BMW fleet vehicle and an employee leased it. Low miles. Employee did not bring it in for the regularly scheduled maintenance. So it would never qualify for CPO status. He speculates that the vehicle had been sitting on the lot and forgotten about. Then they realized they had it and are now selling it. It's a 2017, so even with an autoguard warranty it'd take me to I guess 2022-2023? The 2018 would be warrantied till 2025.

My wife is uncertain about the vehicle as it has not had it's oil change and probably had been sitting around. Both cars are at dealers that belong to Hendrick. So he could transfer the car up here to me. But I would be committed to it at that point.

Do I wait around until BMW releases the 2018 to be sold? Or get the 2017 with the V8?

My wife's only request on the car was carplay. They both have Carplay.
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy192.50
      05-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

So what is the holdup with releasing the 2018? Seems odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

"The salesman says its for hauling and such..." yeah, hauling ass! Lol. Yes, the 35i is more than adequate, but if you want effortless acceleration and sports car performance, the V8 is hard to beat. But, If your mostly commuting and gas mileage is important then stick with 35i.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
So what is the holdup with releasing the 2018? Seems odd.
Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
IloveMs
Rep

what about the lack of service on the v8?

Salesman says there has been no service on the v8 yet. It should have had an oil change. And the car is not CPO. Is that something that should concern us?

2017+ V8s are hard to come by here in Charlotte. The 35i are significantly more popular.

Super odd on the holdup. It's been 2 weeks, and we're still in their loaner. Still waiting on the "paperwork".
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Salesman says there has been no service on the v8 yet. It should have had an oil change. And the car is not CPO. Is that something that should concern us?

2017+ V8s are hard to come by here in Charlotte. The 35i are significantly more popular.

Super odd on the holdup. It's been 2 weeks, and we're still in their loaner. Still waiting on the "paperwork".
I would be concerned about it not getting its maintenance. Seems like a bit of a story that they "forgot" the have a vehicle sitting on their lot as well.
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      05-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
He speculates that the vehicle had been sitting on the lot and forgotten about. Then they realized they had it and are now selling it.
Hope it is all legit deal, though if a salesman gave me that line, it would make me question things.
A dealership just don't forget about a possible 50k sale item, at least not for more than a couple weeks.

Cars get rotated around the lot, washed every now and then, and customers walk around kicking tires and asking questions.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      05-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
IloveMs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Hope it is all legit deal, though if a salesman gave me that line, it would make me question things.
A dealership just don't forget about a possible 50k sale item, at least not for more than a couple weeks.

Cars get rotated around the lot, washed every now and then, and customers walk around kicking tires and asking questions.
Part of it I think is he wants us to continue with buying the current 2018 35i. Vs having to ship up a car from Atlanta.

Biggest thing for me is, the 50i is not CPO. It's at a Henrick Mini in GA.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
IloveMs
Rep

Latest from my salesman.

"The unofficial/official word is that you will be able to take delivery early next week. I received this word this morning. Unfortunately the paperwork process is covered by multiple departments.

As for the X5 in Buford it would have the remainder of its original warranty which expires on 10/14/2020, however as a reminder it does have a spotty service record as it went two years before it was ever serviced which is why it went to auction and was picked up by that dealer and not a BMW dealer. I have no assurances regarding its cosmetic condition other than what the pics show and it should be running properly as it has so little miles. It would be eligible for Hendrick Auto Guard warranties although I do not know for sure whether its history plays any factor in what level warranty coverage is available."

I asked him about the Buford V8.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Latest from my salesman.

"The unofficial/official word is that you will be able to take delivery early next week. I received this word this morning. Unfortunately the paperwork process is covered by multiple departments.

As for the X5 in Buford it would have the remainder of its original warranty which expires on 10/14/2020, however as a reminder it does have a spotty service record as it went two years before it was ever serviced which is why it went to auction and was picked up by that dealer and not a BMW dealer. I have no assurances regarding its cosmetic condition other than what the pics show and it should be running properly as it has so little miles. It would be eligible for Hendrick Auto Guard warranties although I do not know for sure whether its history plays any factor in what level warranty coverage is available."

I asked him about the Buford V8.
V8 ALL THE WAY!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

i really wanted to get a 19 X5 but the one I really wanted was the 50i which was priced out at 92k. I got them down to around 84k without taxes tags etc. the 40i is adequate but not as fun to drive. I am coming out of a 435i gran coupe...

I found an 18 50i CPO with 10k miles for 62k. I will get back into the latest g05 in a few years when the m50i comes out. The sound on the 19 50i was vicious!!
Appreciate 1
Stev_chu108.00
      05-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
You liked the 2018 35i enough to buy it last month..... I'd assume you still like it enough to get it again.

As a current X5 35i owner (with a performance kit) it has all the power I needed. It may not have all the power you want, but you have to make that call. Fuel mileage was a consideration for us so the 35i was at the top of our list. Our old X5 with a V8 certainly had more power and made acceleration seem effortless.

The 50i at the Atlanta dealer could not be certified because of the missed service.... that would be enough for me to pass on that car. It may be fine, but there are too many other cars out the to take a chance. If it were a hard to find model then perhaps, but there are hundreds of the,m for sale.

As a side note, you should remind the dealer that these cars depreciate at $500 or $600 a month and seeing as the 2018 is now a month older......
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
JC1979
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F15 X5 xDrive 50i M-Sport

This is a load of crap from the salesman on the V8, bet it was a loaner (like the one you are currently driving) and with less than 8K miles on it with factory warranty, I would go for that and forget about it. It's not like it has 30-40K miles with no service, its like new at less than 8K miles. This is a no brainer to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
JC1979
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F15 X5 xDrive 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
You liked the 2018 35i enough to buy it last month..... I'd assume you still like it enough to get it again.

As a current X5 35i owner (with a performance kit) it has all the power I needed. It may not have all the power you want, but you have to make that call. Fuel mileage was a consideration for us so the 35i was at the top of our list. Our old X5 with a V8 certainly had more power and made acceleration seem effortless.

The 50i at the Atlanta dealer could not be certified because of the missed service.... that would be enough for me to pass on that car. It may be fine, but there are too many other cars out the to take a chance. If it were a hard to find model then perhaps, but there are hundreds of the,m for sale.

As a side note, you should remind the dealer that these cars depreciate at $500 or $600 a month and seeing as the 2018 is now a month older......
It doesn't need to be certified as it is still under original factory warranty.

This is just bad sales people blowing smoke.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
IloveMs
Rep

andrewmr : correct. we liked it enough to buy. But it was also crunch time. My 19 year old lexus broke down. So we didn't have a lot of time to pick out a car to buy. I didn't know much about X5s then. Yeah waiting around for the car seems like we should get a better price. But as we're speaking we're still driving a ton on their loaner vehicle.

JC1979 : You are correct. It was a demo vehicle. BMW Financial services. An employee leased it. So why didn't he just take it in for the scheduled free oil change. Seems like something so easy to do. I'm guessing he was just lazy about it. Or didn't hit enough miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #17
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

OP - if you’re ok with sparkling brown, here’s one of the loaded X5 50is you’ll come across. Price is fantastic (I’ve been tracking it since they started at $39k). Has new tires and rear brakes.

https://www.mercedeshoffman.com/used...KR6C55F0J74713
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
IloveMs
Rep

Having our sales guy price out the cheaper 2017 with a v8.
He’s coming back higher.

Is it worth 5800$ for maintance till 2023?
7k miles on it.
How much will oil, brakes and fluids run me during this time ?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

No, maintenance is not worth $5800. Get the 4 yr factory maintenance transferred for $700. That’ll be worth it just for brakes, oil and air filters.
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      05-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #20
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

Your dealer is playing all sorts of games.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
IloveMs
Rep

this just came available.

https://www.hendrickbmw.com/certifie...10caa72a1f.htm

Our dealer just picked this up. Our car is actually ready tomorrow. Now I'm torn. 52k for the xdrive35i vs 62k for the decked out xdrive50i.

The v8 has the M package. But it doesn't have the Bang Olufsen.
And the obvious the V8 costs 10k more.

Is it worth 10k more?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #22
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Is this Hendrick at Northlake or Hendrick on Independence? Ive bought cars from them before (Northlake) & had my 335i serviced there that I drove to Atlanta to buy... That is one of the best BMW dealerships i have ever been too (now that we have moved i really miss them). They went of out there way to cover items on my car that most dealers wouldn’t (i.e. i had installed Dinan parts on my car & I missed a step that caused the Check engine light to come on & they fixed that for free). Ive also done a lot mods & they never once questioned it. I haven’t had the same positive experience with the Winston dealership,

With all that being said, this is an extremely odd situation. I didn’t even know that was possible to ask for a car back once you bought it. That’s their mistake, not yours. If i’m Reading this correct, they replaced some parts which might explain some of the delay. But i dont understand why it would take 2 weeks to do paper work.. seems really odd.

I feel like your putting a lot of emphasis on the CPO. Have you taken a look at what all it doesn’t cover?

Click this link

I couldn’t answer the 10K question without knowing the options that both cars have but the 2018 has Evo ID6 interface... And i’m a huge fan of the M-sport and won’t even consider a BMW without that package but that’s just me.

What i don’t understand is what are they doing to make this right other than putting you in a loaner x3??

Be careful with those warranties... you would be surprised what they don’t cover. And i’m Not talking about the CPO. They have done a real good job at figuring out the common items that break & exclude those items & highlight the real expensive items they do cover that most likely won’t “brake” by that mileage. The maintenance can be justified if you know your going to keep the car
Appreciate 0