ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
lawms98
Nathan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 E85

Exclamation Yellow Brake, Tire Pressure and DSC Lights appeared in dash

Hi everyone,
The brake, tire pressure and DSC lights turned on all together today. It didnt show up when i started the car but it showed up after i pulled out of my neighborhood. It was the first time driving the car today. The last time i drove it was last night. What should I do? It doesnt affect the drivability of the car. Im just worried that if i keep driving with those 3 lights on, i can potentially cause futher damage...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I’d suspect a failing alternator.
I had this happen last year. What turned out to be voltage spikes and drops was giving me ABS, Brake, and DSC lights, along with infotainment system interruptions.
Local Indy shop confirmed the diagnosis by monitoring voltage real-time while driving.
Mine got progressively more frequent over a few weeks as the alternator got worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
lawms98
Nathan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
I’d suspect a failing alternator.
I had this happen last year. What turned out to be voltage spikes and drops was giving me ABS, Brake, and DSC lights, along with infotainment system interruptions.
Local Indy shop confirmed the diagnosis by monitoring voltage real-time while driving.
Mine got progressively more frequent over a few weeks as the alternator got worse.
Yeah i actually get the battery warning light on sometimes. It only turns on when i start the car up. It doesnt turn on out of the blue while im driving. I also have a code that says his the alternator is implausible or something. I have a voltage meter plugged into my cigarette lighter socket that fluctuates sometimes. Im never concerned about it since the voltmeter never drops below 13.7 with the engine on. But please do note that i dont have the abs light on. I have the tire pressure light on instead as well as the other two.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
AK72
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe

I had same case after winter storage battery charger, that's my guess. code 005DD2.
Was trying to fix by DIS, SSS, INPA with no luck. Today I finally was able to recalibrate DSC unit and get rid error with INSTA+
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

It probably just the voltage regulator on the alternator. Common problem with the Z4M. Somebody on here was able to find the part is available separately from the alternator on ebay. I picked one changed it and the warning lights were gone.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
skiefer1
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0 2003

Mine went off about the same time yours did. I had a local shop clear the codes Wednesday. The lights stayed off for about 20 miles; came back on. Cleared when I restarted the car, went another 10 miles home, and lights were back on. Yesterday, started, no lights. Drove about 100 miles, lights back on. after two more cycles, lights are now on and will stay on until I clear codes again. No change in feel or performance after lights returned; manual specifically states it's OK and not dangerous to have lights solid yellow.

Had front control arms/bushings replaced about the same time, and got new tires a week ago. I'm tempted to pull the negative battery cable for 15 minutes and see if the lights go away.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0