BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
steamroller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

M50d tuning - torque limits

Hi there,

I love my M50d and am considering an ECU tune. I know a few well known tunes are out there that bring it up to around the 450bhp / 890NM mark, which is impressive. There are some good tuners where I live that could achieve similar or better numbers with a custom tune, but I'm not sure how the transmission would cope. Does any know how much this ZF tranny can take?

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission) if this is the 8HP75 then it' rated to 750NM which is very close to the stated 740NM the M50d has from factory.

I don't want to kill the tranny, but how is it possible that other tuners push the torque up so much higher than the rated limit?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

The tuners don’t have to pay for a new tranny if it breaks down. If you look at the newer m50d engine, it’s only slightly stronger than the one in the f15. I think with this engine we’re already close to limits. I wouldn’t stretch it any further.
Appreciate 0