BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Exclamation Aftermarket Warranties and which companies are good?

I am shopping Aftermarket warranties. Trying to find one with good coverage and reliable for payout. I stumbled up Concord Auto Protect.

Vehicle: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive50i
Vehicle Mileage: 52000
Quote Price: $2,700.00
Term: 4 years + 48,000 miles
Package: Premium
See What's Covered: http://www.concordautoprotect.com/protection-plans/

Seems to go to be true when my other quotes from Endurance, My Credit union and the dealer were all over $6000.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
sdk8103
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 X35i

Garage List
Do a search here, this topic has been beaten to death.

2014 X5 xDrive35i
1983 320i (many years ago, but it's good to be back in a BMW)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

That does seem really cheap for the 50i. Be sure to see what is covered under that warranty as the 50i has a lot of unique names to certain parts that might not be directly stipulated on the contract. Such as air suspension, Navi, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk8103 View Post
Do a search here, this topic has been beaten to death.
Not really right. I read each and everyone of the warranty post. Most of them recommend USAA, CNA and Route 66. I don't qualify for USAA. CNA and Route 66 are no longer available. So that leads me and others in the same boat back where we started as these posted are outdated. What are owners currently doing its a valid question. I've gotten a few responses to just save the money for future repairs but someone us are new to BMW's and just want to play it safe. I've gotten several quotes $6k plus for 3 years 36,000 miles. As I try to grasp the ridiculous quotes it leads me to ask What are the common issues for 2014-2016 X5 50i with over 50K miles? Is it worth the money? Is there a reputable company that offers a decent rate on warranties?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Kdavis61
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

I just got a quote from Concord too, $1899 no deductible for a 15' 35i. Seems too cheap to be good, but they have great ratings
2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i--2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
1992 Mercedes G320D--2013 LR Range Rover Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavis61 View Post
I just got a quote from Concord too, $1899 no deductible for a 15' 35i. Seems too cheap to be good, but they have great ratings
Something isn't right most of my quotes are $6,000 - $7500 (GWAC Warranty)
I got one quote at $4900 from Autopom who apparently is a broker.
The company they quoted me "Royal Protect" got terrible reviews. Reviews said I was better off just lighting my money on fire then buying the warranty, lol!
Wonder if any of the BMW service departments have worked with Concord.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

I had a Route 66 warranty on another vehicle previously and they were great to deal with. Unfortunately they no longer insure X5s as others have mentioned.

My main concern with the Concord coverage is that it is not exclusionary, and I would be worried about them denying a claim or providing only partial coverage arguing over the list of covered items. One positive is they provide their service agreement on the website so you know exactly what you're signing up for: https://www.concordautoprotect.com/service-agreement/

Does anyone have real life experience with them?
Appreciate 1
artem123249.50
      04-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
I had a Route 66 warranty on another vehicle previously and they were great to deal with. Unfortunately they no longer insure X5s as others have mentioned.

My main concern with the Concord coverage is that it is not exclusionary, and I would be worried about them denying a claim or providing only partial coverage arguing over the list of covered items. One positive is they provide their service agreement on the website so you know exactly what you're signing up for: https://www.concordautoprotect.com/service-agreement/

Does anyone have real life experience with them?
Premiums supposedly includes everything but who really knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
Premiums supposedly includes everything but who really knows.
According to the service agreement, it only covers this very specific list of items. It seems like a long list, but it is nowhere near "everything" that an exclusionary plan covers.
Quote:
CONCORD PREMIUM: covers the following listed components.

1. Gasoline/Diesel Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head/heads (if damaged by internally lubricated covered part). Internally lubricated parts: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft, main bearings, camshaft, camshaft bearings, connecting rods, rod bearings, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, rocker arm pivots, cylinder head intake, exhaust valves, valve keepers, valve retainers, hydraulic/solid valve lifters, cam followers, crankshaft gear, oil pump, crankshaft gear and timing chain. Harmonic balancer, metal timing cover, and metal oil pan (if damaged by an internally lubricated part). Engine vacuum pump and engine mounts (If failed, not worn).

2. Transmission/Transaxle: Transmission case/Transmission pan (if damaged by internally lubricated covered part). Internally lubricated parts included within banner kit components: automatic transmission, clutch steels/plates, accumulating/servo locking rings. Transmission mounts, torque converter, vacuum modulator.

3. Drive Axle: Front propeller/drive shaft universal joints, front axle shaft universal joints, rear propeller/drive shaft universal joints, rear propeller/drive shaft support and bearing, front CV axle shaft joints.

4. Electrical Components: Ignition distributor, starter solenoid, starter motor, voltage regulator, alternator, A/C heater blower motor.

5. Cooling: Cooling fan clutch, main engine radiator cooling fan motor, radiator, main engine water pump

6. Brakes: Master cylinder, wheel cylinder, hydraulic front/rear disc brake calipers, and power brake booster.

7. Turbo/Super Charger: Internal parts; Housing is covered if damage is caused by the failure of an internally lubricated moving part, turbo/super charger mount gaskets during replacement.

8. AWD/4x4: The following components in the transfer case: Drive chain/gears, planetary gears, ring shift forks, oil pump output shaft/main shaft washers, transfer case actuator, four-wheel drive actuator, seals and gaskets during rebuilding, and transfer case input/output seal.

9. Differential Assembly: Front and rear differential housing if damage is caused by a failure of internally lubricated covered parts, ring and pinion gears/bearings, spider and carrier gears/bearings, axle shaft/bearings, and pinion/axle shaft seal.

10.Suspension System: (If failed, not worn) a. Front: Upper/lower control arms and bushings, lower torsion/tension arms, stabilizer end links ball joints, hub and wheel bearings. b. Rear: Upper lower controls arms and bushings, stabilizer end links, ball joints, hub and wheel bearings.

11.Steering System: Steering box/steering box pitman seals, steering rack shaft seals, rack and pinion unit and all related internal lubricated parts, power steering pump/shaft seal pump, pitman/idler arm, inner tie rod ends, and outer tie rod ends.

12.Heater and Air conditioning: Compressor and compressor clutch, A/C high/low pressure compressor cutoff switches and heater core, Evaporator core, condenser, field coil, and accumulator.

13.Fuel System: Main fuel pump, fuel injector(s), and gasoline pressure regulator.

14.ABS Brakes: Wheel speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, pressure modulator valve/isolation dump valve, accumulator, ABS master cylinder, Hydro Boost and Electronic Control Processor.

15.Hi-Tech: ABS master cylinder, ABS processor, hydraulic pump motor/pressure modulator valve, sensors; temperature control programmer; mass airflow sensor, map sensor, air charge temperature sensor, coolant temperature sensor, fuel management controls, fuel pressure sensor, fuel injector(s), fuel injection pump, ignition management controls; camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ignition coils, wiper motor(s), power window motors, power door lock actuators, driver and passenger front forward/backward seat motor, driver and passenger front tilt seat base motor, driver and passenger front tilt seat back motor, automatic temperature control panel, key-less entry module excluding remote, speed control module, electronic level control compressor, factory installed GPS Navigation module, sunroof motor and convertible top motor, factory installed rear view camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
According to the service agreement, it only covers this very specific list of items. It seems like a long list, but it is nowhere near "everything" that an exclusionary plan covers.
Called Carchex and sales guy transferred me to his manager. Manger got pushy when I told him Royal Protect had terrible reviews.

Car Chex Titanium - Bumper Bumper
4 years and 48,000
$18 x 364 = $6562
$200 deductible

3 year x 3600
18 x $364 $6142

I don't get it because Autopom was same policy for lot less. and deductible was $100

My dealer quoted me $6200 for 3 year 36000 with Zurich debating on if I should grab that one. Seems really high though.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

Quote:
Called Carchex and sales guy transferred me to his manager. Manger got pushy when I told him Royal Protect had terrible reviews.

Car Chex Titanium - Bumper Bumper
4 years and 48,000
$18 x 364 = $6562
$200 deductible

3 year x 3600
18 x $364 $6142

I don't get it because Autopom was same policy for lot less. and deductible was $100

My dealer quoted me $6200 for 3 year 36000 with Zurich debating on if I should grab that one. Seems really high though.
I am in the market for warranty as well for f15. I had carchex for E60 and they did come through with the tranny replacement (during 2014). My E60 still running A++.

I was at 3 dealerships yesterday and all the 3rd party quotes from were around $6750 for 5yrs/50k. However, the BMW quotes were absurd on just 2 years.

which one did you choose?

Does it make a difference if we buy 3rd party warranty from the dealer or directly?

One advantage buying through a dealer is they deal with insurance directly without us getting involved otherwise we may have to be the middle man wasting our time (I saw this with one of my colleague first hand)

and finally thanks for posting on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple555 View Post
I am in the market for warranty as well for f15. I had carchex for E60 and they did come through with the tranny replacement (during 2014). My E60 still running A++.

I was at 3 dealerships yesterday and all the 3rd party quotes from were around $6750 for 5yrs/50k. However, the BMW quotes were absurd on just 2 years.

which one did you choose?

Does it make a difference if we buy 3rd party warranty from the dealer or directly?

One advantage buying through a dealer is they deal with insurance directly without us getting involved otherwise we may have to be the middle man wasting our time (I saw this with one of my colleague first hand)

and finally thanks for posting on this topic.
How many miles are on your F15? Mine has slightly above 50K so I can't find a dealership to sell me the original BMW one. Are finding dealers that have 3rd party ones ? The most decently priced exclusionary policy "Ultimate" I've seen was with Autopom its written by Royal Protect. Now royal protect doesn't seem to have the greatest reviews but the brokers (Autopom and Carchex) are both telling me they are largest warranty holder.

https://www.royaladmin.com/royal-protect.html

Covers all vehicle parts except:

• Anti-theft system
• Any equipment when not installed by the Vehicle Manufactuer
• Battery
• Brake Lining and Brake Pads
• Catalytic Converter
• Coolant Hoses and Drive Belts
• Drums and Rotors Except When Damaged By a Covered Part
• Exhaust System
• Glass and any treatments or chemicals related to any glass
• Lenses
• Light Bulbs
• Television
• Tires/Wheels/Wheel Covers
• Trim
• Upholstery/ Convertible & Vinyl Tops
• Manual Transmission Clutch components
• Moldings/Weather-Strips
• Paint
• Passive or active saftey and restraint systems, and any sensors and/or components related to those systems
• Radio/speaker equipment
• Recreational Vehicle equipment
• Remote Controls, Key Fobs or Keyless components
• Sealed Beams
• Sheet Metal/Bumpers
• Shocks and Struts
• Spark Plugs and Wires
• Suspension Air Bags
• Telephone, Satellite Service or Systems
• Video Entertainment and/or Gaming Systems
• Wiper Blades
• The components described in the Vehicle's Manufactures Maintenance Schedule when such components are repaired or replaced as
part of routine or manufactures recommended maintenance

OPTIONAL COVERAGE

Technology Group:
• The following Manufacturer-Installed components are covered: DVD Players; Radio; CD Players; Video and Gaming Systems;
Navigation Systems, Back-up Camera, Parking Sensors.

• Seals and Gaskets: Seals and gaskets will be covered only if the Seals and Gaskets option is selected at the time of purchase and the
appropriate surcharge is paid Note: Seepage of seals and gaskets is considered normal wear and tear and is not covered under this
Service Contract.

SURCHARGES
• Commercial Use Coverage (This Coverage is ONLY available on the Ultimate Coverage Plan, with the Term Expiration). Commercial Use
is defined as any vehicle used as a necessary part of, or in conjunction with, Your employment. Commuting and car/van pools are not
considered commercial use. **Any Vehicle which has any of the following features is not eligible for Commercial Use Coverage: Diesel,
Turbo/Supercharger, Four-Wheel Steering, 4X4, AWD, and a snow plow or power take-off (whether equipped at time of Contract
purchase or at a later date).

• 4 Wheel/All-Wheel Drive Coverage: If Your Vehicle is equipped with 4 Wheel/All-Wheel Drive, the following components are covered
regardless of the Plan You purchased: 4 Wheel Drive Actuator and Locking Hubs

• Diesel: If You have a diesel Vehicle, an additional mandatory surcharge is applied.

• 1 Ton Vehicle: If You have a vehicle with a one ton gross vehicle weight capability, (GVW) an additional mandatory surcharge is
applied.

• Turbocharger/Supercharger (factory installed only): All internal components contained within the Turbocharger/Supercharger
Housing, Turbo Boost Valve, Turbo Waste Gate Actuator, Bearing, Bushing, and all other internal components, and Seals and Gaskets,
Supply Line.

• Hybrid/Electric Vehicle: Electric Motor, Power Controller, Inverter Assembly, Generator, Drive Motor Temperature Sensor/Switch,
Battery Cooling Fan Relay/Module, Damper, Electric Water Pump, Electric Air Conditioning Compressor and Battery Cooling Fan,
​ Water Assembly Valve. A mandatory surcharge is applied if Your Vehicle is a hybrid or fully electric model.

Not sure which one to go with as of yet
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Update: I ended up going with Zurich through my dealer that sold me the car.
It was bit more than I wanted to pay but better exclusions than Royal Protect via Autopom. Looks like this plan covers seals and gaskets as well as the air bags as its not specifically listed as exclusion. I also have 60 days to cancel and can be transferred to next owner.
$5600 for 3 year 36000 miles.

Our comprehensive plan also includes the benefits of rental reimbursement, trip interruption and emergency roadside assistance. Comprehensive is an all-risk mechanical breakdown plan. All parts of your vehicle are covered except those specifically excluded. ExclusionsAll parts are covered with these exceptions: glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, wheels, wheel covers, tires, interior trim, moldings, bright metal parts, sheet metal, flexible body parts, weather strips, upholstery, convertible and/or vinyl top, paint, rust, physical damage, catalytic converter, exhaust system, brake rotors and drums, wiper blades, hoses, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor, and throttle body assembly (except the injectors). Spark/glow plugs, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings and shoes, and manual clutch disc. In addition, repairs of water and air leaks, rattles, squeaks and wind noise; alignment of body parts, bumpers and glass are not covered. Any parts or components that are not factory installed are not covered. In addition, the normal maintenance services and parts required or recommended by your vehicle manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts, including engine tune up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing and filters
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #14
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Whoa, I went with continental through my dealership 15 months ago. Car had 63k mikes, got 5 years 60,000 miles addtl for $4,700.

So far they have paid for an idrive knob replacement, upper oil pan seal replacement, and differential seal. I had to do nothing, dealership called their rep, and all was handled without my interaction. Very nice for a aftermarket warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Update: I ended up going with Zurich through my dealer that sold me the car.
It was bit more than I wanted to pay but better exclusions than Royal Protect via Autopom. Looks like this plan covers seals and gaskets as well as the air bags as its not specifically listed as exclusion. I also have 60 days to cancel and can be transferred to next owner.
$5600 for 3 year 36000 miles.

Our comprehensive plan also includes the benefits of rental reimbursement, trip interruption and emergency roadside assistance. Comprehensive is an all-risk mechanical breakdown plan. All parts of your vehicle are covered except those specifically excluded. ExclusionsAll parts are covered with these exceptions: glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, wheels, wheel covers, tires, interior trim, moldings, bright metal parts, sheet metal, flexible body parts, weather strips, upholstery, convertible and/or vinyl top, paint, rust, physical damage, catalytic converter, exhaust system, brake rotors and drums, wiper blades, hoses, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor, and throttle body assembly (except the injectors). Spark/glow plugs, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings and shoes, and manual clutch disc. In addition, repairs of water and air leaks, rattles, squeaks and wind noise; alignment of body parts, bumpers and glass are not covered. Any parts or components that are not factory installed are not covered. In addition, the normal maintenance services and parts required or recommended by your vehicle manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts, including engine tune up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing and filters
Seems a little high - but I think Zurich is a reliable company... Peace of mind has a value...
      04-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #16
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Seems a little high - but I think Zurich is a reliable company... Peace of mind has a value...
Agreed, For me this my first BMW so I'd rather play it safe and see how it goes.
If the car holds up maybe I skip it on the next BMW I purchase is my thought.
A learning process for me as a BMW newbie since I always had a Honda, Acura, Subaru, Infiniti or Mazda and never bought any extended warranties ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #17
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Agreed, For me this my first BMW so I'd rather play it safe and see how it goes.
If the car holds up maybe I skip it on the next BMW I purchase is my thought.
A learning process for me as a BMW newbie since I always had a Honda, Acura, Subaru, Infiniti or Mazda and never bought any extended warranties ever.
BMW's break more than those brands you list - and when they do it is VERY expensive. Trade-off for pushing the development/innovation envelope a bit.