ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

The beloved Red Roadster was just inches from no longer....

Out for the weekly drive to exercise the Red Roadster and a mom in a mini-van just nearly took me out....she blew through a posted STOP sign....DID NOT STOP....our stock brakes are better than we think - she just looked at me like...."WHAT?"
      12-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I guess we can start calling them "Seattle rolling stops" now. Glad you/car are okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

There is an epidemic of that here - in addition to driving and using a cell. Glad you and the Rrd Roadster were not hurt.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Tis the season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
There is an epidemic of that here - in addition to driving and using a cell. Glad you and the Rrd Roadster were not hurt.
Anyone else think that it's amped up by a factor of 2 during the holidays??
      12-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
On the plus side you're still out driving with your red roadster, deadly mini vans aside. Mine's put away until at least May. Drive safe. There's something about this car...its like invisible to larger vehicles and is a dangerous target for other driver's lane changes gone wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Driving safely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
On the plus side you're still out driving with your red roadster, deadly mini vans aside. Mine's put away until at least May. Drive safe. There's something about this car...its like invisible to larger vehicles and is a dangerous target for other driver's lane changes gone wrong.
Well said - it does seem invisible is a reality.

I drive VERY defensively, as if I was on a motorcycle....always anticipating blind spots, ensuring I do not stay in another's blind spot, watching and anticipating....
      12-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Around here people drive stupid all of the time no matter the season. I always look both ways x 2 at all intersections regardless if there's a stop sign or traffic light. But, I have noticed more rear end collisions. Suspect distracted drivers with cell phones. One of my colleagues was killed about a month ago by being rear ended at a high speed while waiting to turn left. Last I heard, distracted driving with a cell phone was being investigated. Glad you are safe and sound. Be careful out there folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Loss of life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Around here people drive stupid all of the time no matter the season. I always look both ways x 2 at all intersections regardless if there's a stop sign or traffic light. But, I have noticed more rear end collisions. Suspect distracted drivers with cell phones. One of my colleagues was killed about a month ago by being rear ended at a high speed while waiting to turn left. Last I heard, distracted driving with a cell phone was being investigated. Glad you are safe and sound. Be careful out there folks!
SO sorry to hear of the loss of life. Hopeful good accident investigative will lead to peace for those left behind.
      12-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

And guys - screw the daytime running lights. If the car is as invisible as folks think here, then full front and rear lights all the time is a good idea.
Appreciate 2
wdb4732.00
Finnegan703.00
      12-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Lights on....

Quote:
And guys - screw the daytime running lights. If the car is as invisible as folks think here, then full front and rear lights all the time is a good idea.
I always turn on the running lights....should re-consider using the headlights too.
      12-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:

Distracted cell phone driving should be a felony. It isn't as much a phone conversation as it is using the phone as a computer while driving.

Glad you're ok, I've has some close ones from bad drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Could this perhaps be the perp? She's obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree...

StickMon636.00
      12-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Agreed. I drive with lights on in all vehicles
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:

Distracted cell phone driving should be a felony. It isn't as much a phone conversation as it is using the phone as a computer while driving.

Glad you're ok, I've has some close ones from bad drivers.
Couldn't agree more. The paltry fine in my state is no deterrent, and a speeding ticket brings in 10x more revenue. That moves cell enforcement way down the list.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

KevinC,
This is absolutely priceless.

As a colleague said....
Ain't no cure for dumb
      12-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Speaking of dumb, that reminds me of a story!

Last week I was driving along in the X5 and I glanced to the left at the Toyota Yaris in the lane left of me. I had to stare. Not because the driver was a strikingly pretty young lady. But because she was holding her cell phone in her manicured left hand while reading something on the screen. And she was deftly and daintily steering the car with the pinky finger of the same left hand. Why wasn’t she using her right hand, you may ask? Well in that hand, she was holding a muffin or a croissant and she was alternating between reading the phone in her left hand while nibbling on the croissant in her right. At about 40 mph. So me being me, I blew the horn at her. Young miss immediately sped up to get alongside me and began to yell at me quite viciously while making rude gestures that were quite in contrast with her stylish appearance. How dare I interrupt her expensive snack and very important texting session.

I really wish I had a passenger that day so I could have asked them to grab their cell and get a picture of this genius for you guys. But it was only me and my phone had to remain in my jacket pocket .

Last edited by Huz-Z; 12-18-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Cell phone laws??

Quote:
Speaking of dumb, that reminds me of a story!

Last week I was driving along in the X5 and I glanced to the left at the Toyota Yaris in the lane left of me. I had to stare. Not because the driver was a strikingly pretty young lady. But because she was holding her cell phone in her manicured left hand while reading something on the screen. And she was deftly and daintily steering the car with the pinky finger of the same left hand. Why wasn’t she using her right hand, you may ask? Well in that hand, she was holding a muffin or a croissant and she was alternating between reading the phone in her left hand while nibbling on the croissant in her right. At about 40 mph. So me being me, I blew the horn at her. Young miss immediately sped up to get alongside me and began to yell at me quite viciously while making rude gestures that were quite in contrast with her stylish appearance. How dare I interrupt her expensive snack and very important texting session.

I really wish I had a passenger that day so I could have asked them to grab their cell and get a picture of this genius for you guys. But it was only me and my phone had to remain in my jacket pocket .
It seems as if the Seattle area didn't get the memo regarding phone usage while driving....it's just shocking to see so many terribly distracted drivers, and your only thought is how do i get away from this inevitable multiple-care accident.