BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Anyone have their DME fail on them?

Hi. So have started to get a few misfires, but does not seem to follow any particular cylinder. Predominantly on bank 2 (cyl 5-8), but today had one show up on Cyl 1 as well.
  • So codes like 2b 39, 2b3a, 2b3b, etc

Am thinking it might be the MAP sensor as one time I did get code 2738.

This morning, I got 2B55 (P1681), which based on my search points to the DME, with instructions to reflash the DME.

I believe I am on the original DME software (for my 2008 model), so definitely could benefit upgrading to the 240E+ SW....so am thinking of doing this as the first step before throwing money at other parts (like coils, plugs, etc). Anyone else with a similar situation on 2B55 before?

UPDATE, 11/7

Here's an update:

1) I believe my intermittent errors were related to the engine harness wire (plastic conduit rubbing away). I had put a temporary plastic conduit and was still getting errors, but i repositioned it slightly and believe it's keeping the wire away from being exposed to the engine heat. Will do this properly have have the wire rewrapped the next time I have the plenum off

2) So in the past week, have had zero DTC errors and car runs fine

3) As an additional upgrade, I went ahead and upgraded the DME software yesterday. I was on 100E (E89X-08-03-540) and am now on 241E I believe (E89X-18-07-520).

As others have mentioned, upgrading to 240E/241E has improved the drive-ability a bit. I would say tip-in throttle response and transition from low RPM is a bit smoother (and less harsher than before with the older software). My wife had always complained before of the car's "jerkiness" in her mind on throttle transition. I typically drive with the POWER button on as without it's a bit too laggy on throttle response. In all, I think the DME SW upgrade was worth it

4) The only other variable that I can't rule out is that I may have gotten bad gas. I normally fill on Chevron 91 near my house but the past couple weeks, there were 2 times that I did a quick fill near work (4-5 gallons)....at a Chevron station as well, but felt like the car ran like shit right after (and right around when I started getting these intermittent codes). Problem is my codes were only on Bank 2 cylinders and with it varying from cylinder to cylinder....so believe if it was bad gas (like higher ethanol content) that this should have affected both Cylinder banks.

5) So in short, everything's running great again and didn't have to throw money on plugs, coils, etc. For reference, here's the relative maintenance on the car:

- Both TA have been replaced (Bank 1 at 100K and Bank 2 ~117K mi)
- Spark plugs are OEM plugs and replaced around 103K mi
- 5 of the Coils are still original. 3 coils were replaced in the past year or so (Cyl 1, 2, and 8)...as those had rubber caps a bit damaged probably from the past owner during spark plug installs

As a another round of preventative maintenance, I plan to pull my injectors next week and to send those out for flow testing and rebuild of the gaskets, pintle, etc. Curious to see the flow rates on the injectors on a 120K+mi vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by kimiraikkonen; 11-07-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Hi. So have started to get a few misfires, but does not seem to follow any particular cylinder. Predominantly on bank 2 (cyl 5-8), but today had one show up on Cyl 1 as well.
  • So codes like 2b 39, 2b3a, 2b3b, etc

Am thinking it might be the MAP sensor as one time I did get code 2738.

This morning, I got 2B55 (P1681), which based on my search points to the DME, with instructions to reflash the DME.

I believe I am on the original DME software (for my 2008 model), so definitely could benefit upgrading to the 240E+ SW....so am thinking of doing this as the first step before throwing money at other parts (like coils, plugs, etc). Anyone else with a similar situation on 2B55 before?
Yessir on my 2013.. needed an outright replacement of the DME, thankfully it was covered under warranty or it would have run me $2400.
It would only throw the increased emissions engine code but it kept happening after replacing multiple O2 sensors, coil packs, the battery, entire exhaust from the headers back and also the wiring harness for the engine
      11-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
fisto_roboto
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
It would only throw the increased emissions engine code but it kept happening after replacing multiple O2 sensors, coil packs, the battery, entire exhaust from the headers back and also the wiring harness for the engine
Wow first time I find someone who had the same issue as I am having right now. Do you still remember the fault code(s) behind the increased emissions? Also do you remember if a DME software update was tried before the replacement?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisto_roboto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Wow first time I find someone who had the same issue as I am having right now. Do you still remember the fault code(s) behind the increased emissions? Also do you remember if a DME software update was tried before the replacement?
Cheers
No I don't remember the fault codes it threw, wish I did. BMW made it out to seem that the wiring harness was faulty and it fried the DME.
I can say that I never noticed any performance issues, just rough startup every now and then and a rough idle for a few mins until things warmed up a bit.

Also the software wasn't updated because it was already the latest software, the car was one of the last few coupes off the assembly line so software wasn't an issue.
      11-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Cheers
Please share what codes you are getting. Are you getting a 2B55 code alongside other misfire codes? Was getting a misfire last week and the DME error...but it's disappeared all of a sudden. Some of the plastic conduit was rubbing away on my wiring harness...which I put a temporary sheath over...seems to have resolved it. Am taking my car tomorrow to have the DME flashed to the latest software as a baseline as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Highly doubt it's the DME hardware. 2B55 is normally a collateral toque management/emergency program code triggered by another component that is likely the real issue.

If you previously received a map sensor code you should probably replace that sensor to start.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep
Drives: G35 Coupe

i had very similar issues and after several attempts with my local indy i took it to the dealer who said it was a fried DME - reluctantly replaced the DME (i doubted that was the issue but was out of options) and still had misfires... they took it back for a week and said they couldnt pinpoint the issue but that the car was working fine after they cleaned up a few things. worked for another month but misfires came back. i ended up trading the car in, sadly.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
fisto_roboto
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Please share what codes you are getting. Are you getting a 2B55 code alongside other misfire codes? Was getting a misfire last week and the DME error...but it's disappeared all of a sudden. Some of the plastic conduit was rubbing away on my wiring harness...which I put a temporary sheath over...seems to have resolved it. Am taking my car tomorrow to have the DME flashed to the latest software as a baseline as well.
No my issues are different to yours, no misfires. I was relating to the second post in the thread about emissions check engine lights due to O2 sensor fault codes that seem to persist no matter what you do, check or replace.

27C7 was/is the code that I keep getting. Sorry to derail your thread, was slightly excited to find an online mention of my problem for the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
No my issues are different to yours, no misfires. I was relating to the second post in the thread about emissions check engine lights due to O2 sensor fault codes that seem to persist no matter what you do, check or replace.

27C7 was/is the code that I keep getting. Sorry to derail your thread, was slightly excited to find an online mention of my problem for the first time.
Here's an update:

1) I believe my intermittent errors were related to the engine harness wire (plastic conduit rubbing away). I had put a temporary plastic conduit and was still getting errors, but i repositioned it slightly and believe it's keeping the wire away from being exposed to the engine heat. Will do this properly have have the wire rewrapped the next time I have the plenum off

2) So in the past week, have had zero DTC errors and car runs fine

3) As an additional upgrade, I went ahead and upgraded the DME software yesterday. I was on 100E (E89X-08-03-540) and am now on 241E I believe (E89X-18-07-520).

As others have mentioned, upgrading to 240E/241E has improved the drive-ability a bit. I would say tip-in throttle response and transition from low RPM is a bit smoother (and less harsher than before with the older software). My wife had always complained before of the car's "jerkiness" in her mind on throttle transition. I typically drive with the POWER button on as without it's a bit too laggy on throttle response. In all, I think the DME SW upgrade was worth it

4) The only other variable that I can't rule out is that I may have gotten bad gas. I normally fill on Chevron 91 near my house but the past couple weeks, there were 2 times that I did a quick fill near work (4-5 gallons)....at a Chevron station as well, but felt like the car ran like shit right after (and right around when I started getting these intermittent codes). Problem is my codes were only on Bank 2 cylinders and with it varying from cylinder to cylinder....so believe if it was bad gas (like higher ethanol content) that this should have affected both Cylinder banks.

5) So in short, everything's running great again and didn't have to throw money on plugs, coils, etc. For reference, here's the relative maintenance on the car:

- Both TA have been replaced (Bank 1 at 100K and Bank 2 ~117K mi)
- Spark plugs are OEM plugs and replaced around 103K mi
- 5 of the Coils are still original. 3 coils were replaced in the past year or so (Cyl 1, 2, and 8)...as those had rubber caps a bit damaged probably from the past owner during spark plug installs

As a another round of preventative maintenance, I plan to pull my injectors next week and to send those out for flow testing and rebuild of the gaskets, pintle, etc. Curious to see the flow rates on the injectors on a 120K+mi vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0