BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

New Jersey to Los Angeles Road Trip (long)

Well I finally picked up my M3 last Monday the 23rd. AW, FR, MDCT coupe with a bunch of options I forget (the car was $69,800). This board definitely helped me pass the time while I waited for the car; thanks to all here.

I bought the car in Allentown, PA at Daniel's BMW (I live in LA most of the time but have residence in PA (mom lives in Jersey) as well). They are great and everything went perfectly. I scheduled the 1200 mile service for Thursday when I picked the car up on Monday.

First the trip: I picked the car up on Monday and since I needed to head back to Los Angeles I needed to get the 1200 miles on it quickly. So my dad and I hopped in it and headed to Detroit for a Tigers game on Tuesday. They lost. We then headed back to PA and on Thursday I rolled into the dealership with 1300 miles. All went well there; no trans fluid change and I was in/out in a couple hours.

Now I was set to head to Los Angeles. I loaded up on Friday morning and headed out. 950 miles the first day landed me in Missouri. The car worked great; lots of rain on the way.

The next day was a long one. I left early and drove like a bat out of hell most the day. Again, lots of rain. As I left Texas and closed in on Tucumcari, NM a REALLY dark storm loomed ahead. No big deal I thought...wrong. I ended up in a hail storm that was violent. I thought the windows were going to break out of the damn car. Needless to say I was sick to my stomach. When it was all said and done I ended up with two pretty big hail dings and a few minor ones. It could have been WAY worse I think. The CF roof held up perfectly. Luckily one of the businesses I own is a body shop and I have access to a paintless dent pro.

Once I cleared out of the storm, things went pretty well, all things considered. I ended up running about 1100 miles the day of the storm, which wasn't too bad. The poor car was beat up though...filthy like you wouldn't believe and now dented. She took it like a man though and never missed a beat. And I mean these were some rough conditions to say the least.

The last day was uneventful thankfully. I drove into LA at around 3, so I made really good time overall. Here's some trip stats:

Gas milage: 21.1 (I don't know how the car can be rated at 20 hwy. I never went less than 80 and usually ran 90-100. With a few very fast spurts in between every day).

Total miles: 2726. The car now has about 4250.

Average speed: 73.5 This doesn't include when the car is off of course, but not a bad average considering the storms and traffic jams I ran into.

Now the car review. I'll try to write about things I haven't necessarily read online.

The car works brilliantly. I can hardly believe it really. It's capabilities are so high, yet the car is so refined. It's quiet, not much tire noise. I was really surprised at how quiet it is.

The trans is great. It will benefit from another level of refinement in the future I'm sure, but it fits this car great. You can actually tell it's working similar to a manual by how the clutch engages and disengages. Driveline lash is minimal, but again, it feels like a manual more than a torque converter auto. And of course the shift feel/engine sound is awesome. Best I've every heard from a stock car. Although I can't figure out how to use launch control and in auto mode the car shifts at 6000rpm in first for some reason . I also wish it reacted quicker to paddle inputs. It's too easy to bounce off the limiter in first which really kills your acceleration. Downshifts are incredible.

The car rides very well too. I have EDC and in comfort it positively rides better than my IS350. I was surprised at that too. Even in sport, it's not really that bad. I left it in comfort for most of the ride across and it was great.

Idrive is fine. It took me a while to learn it, but it's really not nearly as bad as the magazines make out. And it covers so many more things than my IS and also the Mercedes in an S550 that it's a really a lot more interesting. Trip computer, altitude in the nav, different nav maps, settings for everything...it's really involved. But I like technology and think it's very interesting to tinker with.

The stereo is excellent (premium audio) and integrates very well with my iPhone. Again, easy to use once you get used to it a bit.

I didn't care for the fat steering wheel too much at first, but it's OK now. I prefer a little skinnier, but oh well.

I have pictures that's I'll upload later. Not many and I'm not much of a picture taker, but I'll upload them anyway.

That's the nutshell version of the trip. Overall I've had better trips across the country, but the car was incredible. It worked perfectly, was comfortable, fast as hell...the perfect car for me right now.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
very nice story man. unique!!! awesome, cant wait to see it
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
uthatch, great story. My buddy had an e46 M3 and a hail storm wrecked his roof (had to be replaced) and the body shop had to fix his trunk and hood. I am glad to hear that the carbon held up for you. If only my buddy had a CSL instead of just the Competition Pkg, his roof would have been alright. Enjoy the beast.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

great story, I'd love to go cross country only take my time, like a month. But I make too much money to take that much time off and so I'm waiting til I retire.

Glad to see the 'road trip' is not dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
great story, I'd love to go cross country only take my time, like a month. But I make too much money to take that much time off and so I'm waiting til I retire.

Glad to see the 'road trip' is not dead.
I usually cross about 2-3 times every year. I'm going it again next week on a new Harley. I love to ride/drive any damn thing.

Luckily I still make money wherever I am!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Great story and that's how it is around here, crazy ass storms poping out of no where

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

damn nice trip I want to do a trip cross country like that, but I'm scared of all these lil towns, lmao. I guess I've watched Texas Chainsaw massacre too many times, I'll have to do a rally or something

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

Congrats. What a trip!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Great story, thanks and congrats on your new ride. Bummer about the hail. 21 mpg is very good at the speeds you were doing.

Can't wait to see the pics.
      07-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, here's some pics of the trip.

Chronologically, the picture with the garage is the morning I left, then a few from the rainy first day, the sunset is immediately after the hail storm, and then entering Cali.

I know I'm going to catch some crap from some people for the speedo pics, but what can I say? Honestly if you are going to preach to me, you might as well save your keystrokes. Precautions were made and the pictures were taken in a controlled environment; that's all that needs to be said. Not trying to sound cocky or anything.

The paintless dent guy is coming tomorrow to fix the hail damage, so she'll be looking like new again shortly!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great write up! Sounds like you enjoyed the trip. Just a shame about the hail chips but nothing that can't be fixed...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Thanks for sharing. When you get a chance, would you please post your route? I'm casually considering doing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

great write-ups and pics...love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
Thanks for sharing. When you get a chance, would you please post your route? I'm casually considering doing this.
It's the shortest route across from where I began. I took 78 to 81 to Carlisle, PA where I picked up 76. 76 west until you get to route 70 in New Stanton, PA. Stay on 70 until St. Louis where you pick up 44 south. 44 to Oklahoma City where you grab 40 west. 40 all the way to Barstow, CA where you get 15. 15 to 10 brings you to LA.

I think I remembered every major road. If you check out a map you'll be able to see the route. It's not the most scenic, but it's the quickest.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Excellent. I'm not far from New Stanton, so that's where I would pick up.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
Excellent. I'm not far from New Stanton, so that's where I would pick up.

Thanks.
It's a pretty straight shot, but if you want to spend an extra day, I can give you some roads to go through in Colorado. It only adds a couple hundred miles, but you're off the interstates for a while so it takes a bit longer.

I didn't have time this trip, but that's a LOT of fun. I usually do it on a motorcycle, but this car is about as close to a bike as it comes when talking fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Great story, congrats on your car.

I love roadtrips too... and rainstorms. The light in the pic of your car at the gas station is fantastic. What an adventure!
      07-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #18
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Great story, congrats on your car.

I love roadtrips too... and rainstorms. The light in the pic of your car at the gas station is fantastic. What an adventure!
Thanks, I like rainstorms just fine myself...minus the golf ball sized hail!!

The paintless dent guy shows up tomorrow...I have my fingers crossed he can do the repair well.

Funny thing; had the car not had the CF roof it would have damage there too most likely. And from what I hear, paintless repairs on the roof of BMW's is next to impossible. Glad I got the CF instead of the sunroof!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Nice write up and great trip! Going cross country is a blast, even better in a car like that! Did it a while back also Phil, Penn to LA, Cali.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

nice break in miles!!!