BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

1200 miles service DCT problem - fault codes

Full of anticipation to use LC after my 1200 mile service I took my M3 to BMW service today. I just got a call from the service manager that informed me that the DCT ECU throws fault codes and they have put in a request to BMW NA for guidance. It looks like the lag that some of you are experiencing might be due to a software or HW problem with the part that controls the DCT.

I will keep you updated on how it turns out...for now I am just sad that I can't drive my baby on the weekend...

On another note: the service that I have received so far from BMW San Francisco has been outstanding...and no I am not getting paid to write that here
      06-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Manalope
Hello!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M4, Ferrari 360

I hope the DCT lag is a software issue, it is definitely there even at full throttle.

You can read my comments on the second page of this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152249
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manalope View Post
I hope the DCT lag is a software issue, it is definitely there even at full throttle.

You can read my comments on the second page of this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152249
Funny I just posted a reply on that thread Let's hope for all our sakes that the lag will be eliminated once they update my SW/HW
      06-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Wow, but you're sure they did not make the mistake of replacing the tranny fluid with 6MT fluid though, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Sold mine the other day. I will see how the 09, or 10's look and read up on the DCT and see if it improves. The fluid fiasco and the unpredictable delivery of power and lag etc was just ruining the experience. Was an awesome car but I could not ignore the above...all you guys who said they were passing on first year DCT's appear to have been right...hate to say it.
      06-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Mine didn't throw any fault codes at the first service.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, but you're sure they did not make the mistake of replacing the tranny fluid with 6MT fluid though, right?
they actually told me that they won't change the tranny fluid before I could actually tell them as I said they seem to know their stuff
      06-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

You DCT guys have a lot more faith in BMW than I do. Even if I was interested in the thing (I'm not), there is NO WAY I would buy a first year car with it. I'm still waiting until at least the '09s even with the 6MT. I'm sure the service guys are great people, but I don't feel like getting to know them on a first name basis any time soon. I hope they find a remedy, and fast! Same goes with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
MXrider38
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 comin soon!

Grabs popcorn and subscribes to thread..........I am starting to worry about getting a dct now!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Just thinking, if I never started reading e90post, I would never have even heard about the hpfp failures on the 335i. Well documented, recalled, but in the end after 20k miles mine is still chugging away. I'm convinced it will fail, but thats another story.

Regarding the DCT, yes there will probably early adopter issues, but I wonder how infinitely more comfortable I would feel about it avoiding threads like these.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

I'm going for service next Monday as well.
Our family has been lucky with German cars and hopefully it's the same case with my
M3. Wish me luck guys!
      06-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

With these message boards, you would think that BMW hasn't delivered even one trouble-free E9X M3 so far. I know it gets blown out of proportion but I would feel much better if there were not so many problem threads. It's kind of ridiculous so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
zadam12
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

all these stories about dct is getting old and i dunno what to do anymore... my car should be here in a month and i dont know if i should be scared or happy! sometimes i feel like canceling my order, i barely have the money as it is for this car... all these problems u guys talk about makes me feel like i dont a 70 k piece of shit on my hands. are there any dct owners out there that have not had any problems yet?????
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadam12 View Post
are there any dct owners out there that have not had any problems yet?????

That would make an excellent poll question.

Is there anyone with M-DCT who has gone over 1000 miles without any error messages at all?

The problems are certainly magnified when you read about them on the forum. But we are talking about major components of the car here (the suspension/EDC, the transmission/DCT) and several different people with similar issues. The car hasn't even been out 6 months in the US....

Yeah I know....
      06-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadam12 View Post
all these stories about dct is getting old and i dunno what to do anymore... my car should be here in a month and i dont know if i should be scared or happy! sometimes i feel like canceling my order, i barely have the money as it is for this car... all these problems u guys talk about makes me feel like i dont a 70 k piece of shit on my hands. are there any dct owners out there that have not had any problems yet?????
that's a little harsh I think - I have owned many cars over the last 20 years and the only ones that didn't have early glitches/problems where the used ones...all my new ones had some sort of issue within the first 10.000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

Is there anyone with M-DCT who has gone over 1000 miles without any error messages at all?

The problems are certainly magnified when you read about them on the forum. But we are talking about major components of the car here (the suspension/EDC, the transmission/DCT) and several different people with similar issues. The car hasn't even been out 6 months in the US....

Yeah I know....
I think that is a valid question and I will feed the troll :-) :-)
      06-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

I'm at 980 miles. I have my appointment on Monday. My car did not have any warnings or any malfunction notice as of yet. Also, I did not experience all the other 'problems' that lot of DCT ppl are experiencing.

Hopefully, even after Monday, my car stays strong!
      06-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
I'm at 980 miles. I have my appointment on Monday. My car did not have any warnings or any malfunction notice as of yet. Also, I did not experience all the other 'problems' that lot of DCT ppl are experiencing.

Hopefully, even after Monday, my car stays strong!
hope everything will be fine on yours - I never got any error messages or felt something was wrong until they called me and said the DCT threw error codes
      06-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #18
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Yeah I know....
I would like to see this poll too. But I have a feeling some DCT haters would vote and ruin the results.

I would bet the DCT owners with problems are very litte, compared to people with no problems.

FYI: I don't consider the dealer changing the tranny fluid with the wrong fluid a manufacture problem. This is not a manufacture defect.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes I can claim not 1 fault all the way until 2600 miles. Then I had the tranny failure fault when I picked up my car from being shipped back. Dealer had it for a while, did a PUMA case, found out it needs a software update, told to always use the parking brake until software update. Now I am sitting at almost 4K miles and haven't experienced 1 code since.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah I know....

hey go drive your C63 and leave us alone
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

I'm at 3300 miles. I have the clicking noise at low rev's when the engine is warm but 0 error messages thus far.
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #22
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:

Yeah I know....
Yes there is at least one...so far. I picked my caqr up on Monday from Allentown, PA drove it to Detroit and back on Tuesday/Wed. Took the car for service with 1300 miles on the clock. I left this morning for a cross country trip and am writing this with 2300 miles now. No errors and the car has worked perfectly so far.

In fact, I am stunned at how awesome this car is. The motor, DCT, ride, handling...incredible.

I'll have pictures and more info after the trip is completed. I'll have about 4000 miles when I arrive in LA.
Appreciate 0