BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

one humpers (non-Tech Package) have two maps for servotronic steering

I have a non-Tech package/I-drive car (one humper) so I had assumed that I had access to only the single normal (comfort) Servotronic map as has been noted several times on this site. But after reviewing the quote below from the US press release dated 2/11/08, I started experimenting with the Power button on the console. I am now convinced that when I engage the Power button, not only does it increase engine response but also reduces the power assist making the steering heavier.

The confusing part of the quote is that they label one of the three standard console buttons as the “Sport” button. But of course the button is our car is labeled “Power” which must be an error in the news release.

One humpers--check your cars and see if you agree that you have reduced steering assist when you engage the power button.

Rob

Servotronic steering with two manually adjustable control maps

Rear-wheel drive keeps the rack-and-pinion steering of the BMW M3 Coupe free of drive forces. A further enhancement is hydraulic Servotronic power assistance controlling steering forces as a function of road speed. There is also a choice of two different control maps activated through normal and sport modes with a console-mounted button.

In Sport mode the BMW M3 provides direct and immediate response with a relatively high steering effort. In the Normal mode, power assistance is comfort-oriented and requires less steering effort.

Optional MDrive personalizes the driving characteristics of the new BMW M3

The M3 provides several standard and optional driver-controlled systems to tailor the driving characteristics to a driver’s personal preferences.

As standard equipment, the driver can choose, with conveniently located buttons:

• The Sport button: Changes the throttle response from either comfort oriented to direct/sporting. The same button simultaneously changes the Servotronic steering assist from Comfort to Sport mode.

• DSC Button: DSC may be switched off. As a default, the DSC will turn on again during the next start-up sequence.

• EDC Button (Optional): The Electronic Damping Control is adjustable offering Sport, Normal and Comfort modes.

In addition to center console mount buttons, the above systems can be preprogrammed into the vehicle key – so that the car pre-selects your favorite driver settings when you start the car.

The new M3 will also be available for the first time with the steering wheel mounted M Drive button that made its first appearance in the M5. M Drive is included as part of the optional Technology Package which also includes Electronic Damping Control, the BMW Navigation System with Real Time Traffic Data and the Comfort Access system that allows keyless operation of the vehicle.

In addition to allowing the programming of the driver selectable settings listed above, M Drive includes the M Dynamic Mode function for the DSC system, which allows for some wheel slip for very active driving while still maintaining much of the benefit of DSC. A push of the MDrive button will instantaneously activate the driver-selected configuration, turning the M3 into his or her personalized Ultimate Driving Machine. The settings are stored through menus shown on the dash-mounted screen and controlled by the iDrive (located in the center console).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

appears from the press release that you are correct. makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Interesting. I had not noticed that before.

I am not so sure that the information is correct, however. You already pointed out the incorrect labeling of the "Sport" button. There is also the claim that "the above systems can be programmed into the vehicle key". This is not strictly true either since DSC settings cannot be saved in that manner - only power and EDC. Such errors call the entire press release into question. This is not to say that your personal test is invalid. I guess we'll have to see if more people chime in.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Wow, that's very interesting. I would put more stock in it if they said 'power' button instead of 'sport' but it still indicates that both the throttle response and steering are affected by the same button, which we can only assume is the 'power' button. That would be a nice surprise if it ended up being true.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

interesting - and if true should also apply to the two hump cars.
      06-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Hopefully its true....it would be awesome for those guys that opted out of the tech package
      06-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

I was actually playing with the power button on my one humper car this morning and I did notice the steering to be a tad heavier. I was attributing this more to me reaching the speed where it is supposed to ease off on the assist but I believe you are right... .I will definitely try that again on my way home
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Its hard to tell since the power of suggestion is very strong.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

My guess is that it's a misprint that it can be switched via a console button. Didn't see it mentioned in the manual. I noticed a big difference between sport and normal most at low "parking" speeds. So, low speed may be the best way to test the theory.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

This is exactly what the Sport button on my MCS Clubman does (changes both throttle and steering maps). I'll bet that it functions identically in the single-hump M3 (which I'm considering for purchase). Too bad it doesn't give you and extra 100HP like it does in the M5/M6.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
I'll bet that it functions identically in the single-hump M3 (which I'm considering for purchase).
I'm pretty sure that if it functions this way at all, then it will be for both non-ZTP and ZTP cars. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we'll ever get a positive answer on this one way or another. It may be too subjective to determine just from experimentation.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

I have a one humper and experimented tonite- I really couldnt feel a difference in steering feel with power on or off
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I have a Euro E92 M3 - we only have two humps including M Drive.

The steering is noticeably stiffer when the servotronic is in Sport mode. For those that have one hump, if you can't feel any difference when pressing the "Sport" button I imagine the servotronic is not changing to sport mode. I will try pressing the "Sport" button in mine to see if the servotronic switches to Sport mode but Euro cars are not necessarily set-up the same as US cars
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

bumping this old thread to get some newer perspective-for those without i-drive ,do you think you are activating sport (heavier effort) servotronic when you press the power button on the console? there have been a number of threads on this,but no conclusive answer.

i think it heavies up a bit,but it's hard to tell.

and for those with i-drive who definitely have servotronic sport,is it much different, much heavier-do you like it?

Last edited by bimdo; 05-07-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
bumping this old thread to get some newer perspective-for those without i-drive ,do you think you are activating sport (heavier effort) servotronic when you press the power button on the console? there have been a number of threads on this,but no conclusive answer.

i think it heavies up a bit,but it's hard to tell.

and for those with i-drive who definitely have servotronic sport,is it much different, much heavier-do you like it?
Yes, love the servo, makes quick steering easier. It's not too heavy, definitely not like those old cars with non-assisted steering.

you need to read this, it can be retrofitted with MDM on your single humper 08:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...mdm+non+idrive
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I have a 2013 single hump and I can't notice a difference with anything when I press the m sport button. There might be a slight change in throttle sensitivity but nothing really noticeable
      05-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I have a 2013 single hump and I can't notice a difference with anything when I press the m sport button. There might be a slight change in throttle sensitivity but nothing really noticeable
There should be a noticeable increase in throttle response when you press the power button...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #18
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
There should be a noticeable increase in throttle response when you press the power button...
Ya I can't feel the difference if anything the car feels faster with the m sport not pressed
      05-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I would get it checked out at the dealer if I were you. There should be no doubt in your mind when the power button is engaged, its that noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
did you push the power button?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
did you push the power button?
I push the m button and the power button lights up
      05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I push the m button and the power button lights up
one way to check throttle sensitivity and whether the power button works is, drive your car at a constant speed with your foot on the gas pedal giving it constant pedal pressure. Then push the power button, your car should surge ahead when the button is pushed.
Appreciate 0